Spain orders flags to be flown at half-mast to mark death of Jesus

Wascurito

¡Ay, caramba! A furious row has broken out after Spain’s ministry of defence demanded that all military installations should fly their flag at half mast over Easter in commemoration of the death of Jesus Christ. But the national ombudsman has condemned the order saying that Spain is a secular state.

I knew that Rajoy was a chip of the old block but El Generalísmo must be doing a muiñeira in his grave, seeing that his legacy is in such safe hands.

Anger at Spanish military instruction to fly flags at half-mast for Easter

Cruimh

¡Ay, caramba! A furious row has broken out after Spain’s ministry of defence demanded that all military installations should fly their flag at half mast over Easter in commemoration of the death of Jesus Christ. But the national ombudsman has condemned the order saying that Spain is a secular state.

I knew that Rajoy was a chip of the old block but El Generalísmo must be doing a muiñeira in his grave, seeing that his legacy is in such safe hands.

Anger at Spanish military instruction to fly flags at half-mast for Easter
Heresy- wasn't the point that he isn't dead?

Analyzer

Cruimh....have you anything to say on the matter of flegs ?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Bit of a hostage to fortune. If it should ever occur that a corpse is unearthed somewhere in Jerusalem which is deemed to be that of mr jesus and Spanish flags happen to be at half-mast at the time, why, they'd have to stay at half-mast forever after that because it would be clear that there had been no resurrection.

Wascurito

Bit of a hostage to fortune. If it should ever occur that a corpse is unearthed somewhere in Jerusalem which is deemed to be that of mr jesus and Spanish flags happen to be at half-mast at the time, why, they'd have to stay at half-mast forever after that because it would be clear that there had been no resurrection.
That DNA test would be....interesting.

silverharp

Sync

1. That’s deeply weird.
2. It’s clearly against the rules of state
3. Honestly though: what can make people “angry” about this. Not everything has to be an outrage.

gleeful

1. That’s deeply weird.
3. Honestly though: what can make people “angry” about this. Not everything has to be an outrage.
Personnaly I am outraged. Everyone knows that Jesus was nailed to a chocolate cross by a gang of evil egg-laying marsupial rabbits.

Wascurito

1. That’s deeply weird.
If it's about religion, it'll get people's backs up. I don't hear howls of outrage about the ban on selling alcohol in supermarkets before 10:30am 365 days a year. But for the 24 hours on Good Friday? OMG......hell hath no fury......

Sync

But that’s different. That’s someone’s religious leanings having an impact on other people’s. They don’t want something for religious reasons, so they take it away from others.

The flag doesn’t do that.

DexterGreen22

I wouldn't describe myself as all that religious but maybe this is a good thing.

Give them a little reminder that Europe is ours. Some of the newcomers need to be reminded every so often.

Tours, Legnica and Vienna were not in vain, our ancestors didn't die for Europe to be given away by liberal progressives.

Wascurito

But that’s different. That’s someone’s religious leanings having an impact on other people’s. They don’t want something for religious reasons, so they take it away from others.

The flag doesn’t do that.
Well, I've often found myself in the supermarket early and decide I'd like to buy a bottle of wine to save me having to go back later on. However, I can't because of some bizarre rule that someone passed that treats us all like we're dipsos. It's still a bizarre rule having an impact on me when I neither need nor want it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Are the spanish military admitting culpability at last? They did have many who served in the Legions. :)

automaticforthepeople

To be fair to Rajoy, Franco was more Opus than ordinary Catholic. He'd have marked Easter by executing a Basque by garroting for each day of the Triduum.

Lúidín

I notice that the sectarian Spanish state didn't fly its bloody flag at half-mast on the death of Dumbledore.

Cruimh

Well, I've often found myself in the supermarket early and decide I'd like to buy a bottle of wine to save me having to go back later on. However, I can't because of some bizarre rule that someone passed that treats us all like we're dipsos. It's still a bizarre rule having an impact on me when I neither need nor want it.
It is a class based restriction - if you were one of the better sort of person you would have a wine cellar to fall back on .....

Wascurito

It is a class based restriction - if you were one of the better sort of person you would have a wine cellar to fall back on .....
I'd need planning permission for a wine cellar.

Would a wine attic do?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies