Spain starting to fall apart.

operationbustnation

Things start to get bad when your firefighters and Police go hand to hand!

Firefighters burn a mock coffin bearing the words "RIP Public Services", during a protest against austerity measures in front of the Catalunya Parliament in Barcelona, Spain, on May 29. The European Union moved away from its focus on tough austerity Wednesday when it gave France, Spain and four other member states more time to bring their budget deficits under control to support their economies.

Riot police charge at firefighters during a protest against austerity measures in front of the Catalunya Parliament in Barcelona, Spain, on May 29, 2013. The European Union moved away from its focus on tough austerity Wednesday when it gave France, Spain and four other member states more time to bring their budget deficits under control to support their economies.
Spanish firefighters protest austerity cuts in Barcelona - PhotoBlog

[video=youtube;6rFEFG0yicI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rFEFG0yicI[/video]

Amazingly no matter how bad things get in Ireland I just cant see our public services taking to the streets and fighting each other!

I guess we just dont get the news stories of how bad things must be throughout Europe, But what is obvious is the clever tactics of divide and conquer picking on one sector at a time instead of complete wipeout.

R3volution_R3ady

What are you talking about? Sure the EU has turned a corner if you've to believe what you read on here.

Time to leave!

Spirit Of Newgrange

in spain, Greece etc people will demonstrate and fight. In Ireland we drink, we troll, we emigrate, we drink some more.

GDPR

Spanish firefighters protest austerity cuts in Barcelona - PhotoBlog

[video=youtube;6rFEFG0yicI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rFEFG0yicI[/video]

Amazingly no matter how bad things get in Ireland I just cant see our public services taking to the streets and fighting each other!

I guess we just dont get the news stories of how bad things must be throughout Europe, But what is obvious is the clever tactics of divide and conquer picking on one sector at a time instead of complete wipeout.
The French do this on a regular basis, it's almost a national sport.

If memory serves, recently French firemen and police took turns against each other by arrangement, being the protester one week and the defender of Government policy against protests the next week.

drummed

Course our public servants won't be fighting on the street. The allowance for that was abolished a long time ago.

Democracy is still a novelty in Spain, they have'nt really got the hang of it yet.
They'll get there:)

Dublin 4

Looks like they've a bit to go petunia

Kerrygold

Course our public servants won't be fighting on the street. The allowance for that was abolished a long time ago.

Democracy is still a novelty in Spain, they have'nt really got the hang of it yet.
They'll get there:)
That's right. The blueshirts helped stave off democracy in Spain.

;-)

I use the word "helped" very loosely!

Ren84

Is "operationbustnation" (curious username BTW) a Dublin 4 sock account? :lol:

drummed

Spaniards have a very different view of how this all works relative to us. Their history is one of an oppressive dictatorship within living memory for very many. You'd have to go there and meet a few locals to get the idea. Nobody has much time for goverment for very valid reasons. I remember around 2007 when the place was booming i saw a left wing faction shut down Seville and clash with the riot police. They wrecked the place. Even some of the protestors did'nt know what it was supposed to be about.

Be careful drawing conclusions. Spain works very differently to here.

gerhard dengler

Pepe will take to the Spanish streets to protest.

Paddy will gripe and moan and do nothing instead.

drummed

That's right. The blueshirts helped stave off democracy in Spain.

;-)

I use the word "helped" very loosely!
They did'nt really. O'Duffy tried to but he was more a hazard to his own side than anything else. Franco was disgusted and sent him home. Franco's blend of right wing fantasy and catholic zeal attracted many in its day. It was an odious mix which still haunts Spain.
The only effective Irish fighters in Spain fought with the republic but sadly ended up on the losing side.

At the time public opinion in Ireland was heavily with Franco. That was a terrible mistake we now know.

drummed

The Irish view of Spain in the 1930's was very much in support of Franco. O'Duffy was an imbecile and an irrelevance. Ireland had no real significance either way in the Spanish war. The Spanish destroyed their own country with an idiotic war. They continue to pay the price for that today.

drummed

PS: Final word: a distant relative of mine died in Spain fighting for the republic. I presume you were'nt suggesting i support O'Duffy up there ger? You'd be seriously wrong. Dev was a god in this house in 1936.

ibis

Who won?

spidermom

Ren84

Pepe will take to the Spanish streets to protest.

Paddy will gripe and moan and do nothing instead.
Paddy sucked it up and now his country has returned to growth, unemployment is falling and the Troika are packing their bags. Something for Pablo to bear in mind.

Eric Cartman

They did'nt really. O'Duffy tried to but he was more a hazard to his own side than anything else. Franco was disgusted and sent him home. Franco's blend of right wing fantasy and catholic zeal attracted many in its day. It was an odious mix which still haunts Spain.
The only effective Irish fighters in Spain fought with the republic but sadly ended up on the losing side.

At the time public opinion in Ireland was heavily with Franco. That was a terrible mistake we now know.
"Sadly" ended up on the losing side? Fúckin' delighted. The Left/Republican side were complete scum and deserved the harsh treatment after the war. The Republican government killed 75,000 nationalist sympathizers during the early stages of the war in extra judicial killings, committed terrible atrocities including castration of enemies.

After the war, it has been alleged the Nationalists may have killed up to 500,000.

It's called "payback", bítch.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies