• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Speaking rights for MPs in Leinster House

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I want a United Ireland and support Nationalists boycotting the invader parliament Westminster. But I also am reluctant to give Northern MP's speaking rights in the Dail, as this would give the Unionists yet another excuse to block progress in the Six Counties.

ChrIreland

FutureTaoiseach said:
I want a United Ireland and support Nationalists boycotting the invader parliament Westminster. But I also am reluctant to give Northern MP's speaking rights in the Dail, as this would give the Unionists yet another excuse to block progress in the Six Counties.
I would like to see speaking rights for North elected, but, I must admit that you have a good point there.

MacCoise

FutureTaoiseach said:
do you not think allowing Northern MPs to speak in leinster house would help craete a dynamic towards a united ireland?

Conor

MacCoise said:
do you not think allowing Northern MEPs to speak in leinster house would help craete a dynamic towards a united ireland?
Do you think MEPs should be double-jobbing?

MacCoise

Conor said:
MacCoise said:
do you not think allowing Northern MEPs to speak in leinster house would help craete a dynamic towards a united ireland?
Do you think MEPs should be double-jobbing?

I meant MPs, sorry, but MEPs are allowed to address the seanad at times

DOD

MacCoise said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
I certainly believe that would be the case. Many people feel isolated at Westminster, speaking rights in Leinster House would be a small step in the right direction towards making people in the 6 counties feel understood by the 26 county state.

DOD

Liam Mellows said:
what plant is it you live on again
In fairness, Liam, it is a valid suggestion coming from someone opposed to purely northern speaking rights. With all due respect, however, that would serve no purpose. The issues facing Bristol, etc, hold very little relevance to Ireland, Bristol will never be joined with the 26 counties, whereas it is a strong possibility that Newry will.

idefix

Website
en.wikipedia.org
DOD said:
Liam Mellows said:
what plant is it you live on again
In fairness, Liam, it is a valid suggestion coming from someone opposed to purely northern speaking rights. With all due respect, however, that would serve no purpose. The issues facing Bristol, etc, hold very little relevance to Ireland, Bristol will never be joined with the 26 counties, whereas it is a strong possibility that Newry will.
The purpose is to make unionists be in favour of it.

Conor

idefix said:
What do ye think of allowing all MPs from both islands having speaking rights in the Dail?
I wouldn't mind that at all, if TDs had speaking rights in the House of Commons. Quid pro quo and all.

idefix

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Liam Mellows said:
why dont we just save all the bother and bring back the act of union
Do you want MPs in the North of Ireland to have speaking rights in the Dail?

Do you want the unionists to be OK with that?

Liam Mellows

speaking rights for brit mps in the dail would make them extremely happy and certain double barrell named sunday jouralists would be over the moon, however then can go to hell

what we need is to show unionists is that the brits dont give a dame about them, and their future will be secure within a united independent ireland

idefix

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Liam Mellows said:
speaking rights for brit mps in the dail would make them extremely happy and certain double barrell named sunday jouralists would be over the moon, however then can go to hell
I asked you about MPs from the North, not "brit mps". Should I include the SF MPs as Brit MPs?

Liam Mellows

first of all you said mps from both islands

northern mps mean any mp elected to represent the people of the north should be invited to sit in the dail, regardless of what party or view they represent

idefix

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Liam Mellows said:
first of all you said mps from both islands
Not in the questions I asked you specifically.

northern mps mean any mp elected to represent the people of the north should be invited to sit in the dail, regardless of what party or view they represent
Do you want the unionists to be OK with that?

Liam Mellows

idefix said:
What do ye think of allowing all MPs from both islands having speaking rights in the Dail?

you said mps from both islands

sounds like a question to me you even put in a ?

anyway unionist leaders will be happy with whatever makes them more money. the reality is that unionists now find themselves in a position that they are not happy with and they are stuck in it. there are only two ways out

1 a united Ireland
2 The IRA goes back to war

what you will now see is a concerted atempt to push republicans into open confrontation. Hoping that it will led to a breakdown of the ceasefires in which they can be seen to lay the blame at the door of republicans