Special Designated Status For Northern Ireland in the EU.

raetsel

This has been suggested by Guy Verhofstadt and would entail giving Irish passport holders a vote in future European Parliamentary Elections in Irish EU elections once the UK exits the EU.
This is an encouraging development and will go some way to addressing the concerns of the pro EU majority here in the north, though I suspect that the reaction of the DUP to the proposal will be fairly predictable.

McSlaggart

This has been suggested by Guy Verhofstadt and would entail giving Irish passport holders a vote in future European Parliamentary Elections in Irish EU elections once the UK exits the EU.
This is an encouraging development and will go some way to addressing the concerns of the pro EU majority here in the north, though I suspect that the reaction of the DUP to the proposal will be fairly predictable.
I honestly do not know what the DUP will do as they need to make sure to keep their voters in the agri-food sector happy.

petaljam

I honestly do not know what the DUP will do as they need to make sure to keep their voters in the agri-food sector happy.
Plus they're getting extra rights, not losing their British citizenship. I don't imagine they'll be cheering from the rooftops, but I do think they'll manage to force themselves to accept somehow.

Several of the Protestant families I know (who by definition are not terribly extreme I suppose but still) took out Irish passports after the Brexit vote. At least one such example was the adult children married and settled in England who were very keen on their parents taking Irish passports out for them.

And there may well be others who haven't been as upfront about it.

D

Deleted member 48908

Does this mean that these Irish passport holders will need to be registered in the Republic?

Will they need to physically be in the Republic to cast their vote?

In what constituency?

Or will this be a case of a postal/electronic vote?

petaljam

Does this mean that these Irish passport holders will need to be registered in the Republic?

In what constituency?

We've discussed another version of the question, about overseas voters.
As I said in that thread, France has 11 overseas constituencies, and people vote at their embassy. NI could easily be one or more constituencies, depending on the level of representivity judged necessary (or advisable!)

raetsel

In what constituency?

The proposal is still in an undeveloped state. All that would have to be worked out.
All Irish passport holders are already registered in Dublin, in the Department of Foreign Affairs so I assume that their database would be adopted. Election procedures would probably be similar to the way that the USA conducts the vote among its ex-pat population.

D

Deleted member 17573

As I said in that thread, France has 11 overseas constituencies, and people vote at their embassy. NI could easily be one or more constituencies, depending on the level of representivity judged necessary (or advisable!)
NI cannot be considered an overseas constituency - it is part of a different country.

D

Deleted member 48908

I was on that thread with you. This seems a bit different. It appears to call for some Irish passport holders to be more equal than others.

The proposal is still in an undeveloped state. All that would have to be worked out.
All Irish passport holders are already registered in Dublin, in the Department of Foreign Affairs so I assume that their database would be adopted. Election procedures would probably be similar to the way that the USA conducts the vote among its ex-pat population.
Wouldn't this have to apply to all Irish passport holders?

petaljam

I was on that thread with you. This seems a bit different. It appears to call for some Irish passport holders to be more equal than others.

I don't think we know any of the proposed detail yet, but my point was just that the fact of non residents voting is not that unusual and can be done in different ways, which don't necessarily require the passport holder to vote in a 26 county constituency.

ETA : What do you mean about being more equal than others BTW?
Also, are you aware that that was the main argument against STV in the UK during that referendum, so it can be argued that it's already the case in elections in the ROI anyway?

former wesleyan

Does this mean that the Irish are going to be able to vote against the interests of their host country ? Interests as perceived, I hasten to add.

raetsel

That would be a matter for the EU to decide. Verhofstadt's proposal is for northern Irish residents exclusively, because of the unique status of the political entity here created by the Good Friday Agreement which effectively envisages a return by NI to the EU at some stage in the future fairly explicitly, now that the UK is leaving.

raetsel

Does this mean that the Irish are going to be able to vote against the interests of their host country ? Interests as perceived, I hasten to add.
That is potentially the situation with any foreign resident who can vote in his home country's elections. For instance, many US residents of the UK voted for Obama, who then went on to tell the UK last year that they were at the back of the queue regarding a future trade deal.

D

Deleted member 48908

That would be a matter for the EU to decide. Verhofstadt's proposal is for northern Irish residents exclusively, because of the unique status of the political entity here created by the Good Friday Agreement which effectively envisages a return by NI to the EU at some stage in the future fairly explicitly, now that the UK is leaving.
Non-runner so. No way that any court, be it in Belfast, Dublin, London, Strasbourg or even The Hague will make some Irish passport holders more equal than others.

raetsel

NI cannot be considered an overseas constituency - it is part of a different country.
The EU can confer whatever voting rights they wish to upon the Irish citizens living in Northern Ireland and the reactionaries just need to jog on. :)

former wesleyan

That is potentially the situation with any foreign resident who can vote in his home country's elections. For instance, many US residents of the UK voted for Obama, who then went on to tell the UK last year that they were at the back of the queue regarding a future trade deal.
They couldn't have known about Brexit when they were casting they vote years previously, could they ?

petaljam

Of course - what other overseas constituencies are you planning to create, the Home Counties or maybe Devon/Cornwall?
You appear not to grasp the idea. French voters resident in the USA and Canada vote in the North American constituency, those in Africa vote in a different one. Do you think that means France is laying claim to North America or to parts of Africa? :rolleyes:

raetsel

They couldn't have known about Brexit when they were casting they vote years previously, could they ?
No of course not. Hindsight is irrelevant though. Any country which gives its non-resident population voting rights creates the potential where they might vote against the future interests of their host country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies