• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Speeding Fine

Watcher2

I have put this in environment because I think its under the Dept of the Environment remit. If wrong, please move to the appropriate forum.

I received my first ever speeding fine and penalty points this month. Its fine, I knew I was over the legal limit and will take my punishment. I find it curious however that my fine was for travelling at 120km/h on a motorway. It was the M1, at Santry.

It brings me to one of my (many) bugbears and others too, on the speed limits in this country. Why is the speed limit on any motorway or part thereof, of 80km/h????? Its completely barmy, nuts and a few expletives for good measure.

They widened the M50 and made it a proper motorway only to downgrade it by putting in a 100km/h speed limit. The M1, some sections have 80km/h speed limit.

Jaysus wept, no wonder the Europeans are screwing us wghen they see what we have done with their structural (and other) funds.

ruserious

Why are you blaming Europe for your speeding, which laws dictate to save lives?

Aindriu

Why are you blaming Europe for your speeding, which laws dictate to save lives?
Don't give us that old chestnut. Pre upgrade the M50 had only two lanes, was heavily congested due to the toll booths yet had a limit of 120KMH. Post upgrade it has four lanes for much of it's run yet those four lane areas have a limit of 100KMH as do the three lane areas. Total bloody madness and all to do with revenue gathering.

Tea Shark

Nannyisms to disadvantage the majority with the excuse of some imaginary minority that - what? - cannot drive safely on a 3 lane motorway at 120? - shouldnt have a licence then should they..

Dunlin3

It's because it's a busy part of the motorway, with junctions for the airport/santry/M50/Clarehall within a reasonably short distance.

I got done for doing 60 in a 50 in Bluebell last year. The 50k limit is only for a few hundred meters of the road!

DeathKnell

Hey - the fuzz need to have an Xmas Party too..

Bubbly dont come cheap. The vans and radar boys have been out in force this last 3 weeks. Shooting fish in a barrell.. Anything else might require some effort.

emulator

The M1 at Santry is 80kph because there are so many on/off ramps with merging traffic in a short distance. On/off ramps aren't as close together where the limit is rightly 120kph.

Also, there are road works there at them moment past the airport roundabout that reduce it to 60kph.... which nobody does. I've always thought this would be a good form of public protest.... have a few cars or vans with slogans on actually driving at the speed limit at rush hour coming out of Dublin.... perfectly legal.

I agree though that there are some crazy limits around the country. Some areas where dual carriageways are 60kph is madness, but then, it gets the revenue in as you unfortunately found out.

Last edited:

nakatomi

I have put this in environment because I think its under the Dept of the Environment remit. If wrong, please move to the appropriate forum.

I received my first ever speeding fine and penalty points this month. Its fine, I knew I was over the legal limit and will take my punishment. I find it curious however that my fine was for travelling at 120km/h on a motorway. It was the M1, at Santry.

It brings me to one of my (many) bugbears and others too, on the speed limits in this country. Why is the speed limit on any motorway or part thereof, of 80km/h????? Its completely barmy, nuts and a few expletives for good measure.

They widened the M50 and made it a proper motorway only to downgrade it by putting in a 100km/h speed limit. The M1, some sections have 80km/h speed limit.

Jaysus wept, no wonder the Europeans are screwing us wghen they see what we have done with their structural (and other) funds.
Why do you need to go at 120km/h?

Serious question .

Watcher2

It's because it's a busy part of the motorway, with junctions for the airport/santry/M50/Clarehall within a reasonably short distance.

I got done for doing 60 in a 50 in Bluebell last year. The 50k limit is only for a few hundred meters of the road!
I dont accept that at all. When they upgraded that part of the M1, the slip road joining the traffic from the M50 to the M1 was made abundantly safe with that lane being a continuous inside (third) lane. Previously traffic only had a very (dangerous) distance to join ther motorway. Now you can come down that slip road at nearly any speed without having to move in on the existing M1 traffic for quite some distance. The whole way in fact (current road works approximately 3 km ahead notwithstanding).

If its not going to be 120km/h or above, it should not be called a motorway. But no, my fine states "....M1 SANTRY, DUBLIN, DUBLIN..."

Tea Shark

Why do you need to go at 120km/h?

Serious question .
120 is bearable on a motorway. 100 is tedious and 80 actually causes a pain in the brain due to inactivity which is likely to cause an accident tbh.

Watcher2

What was the fine ?
€80 and two penalty points. Which is fair enough. The law is the law. But that speed limit and many others should not be set as they are.

Its a fine stretch of road and could take higher speeds if people learned to driove properly and put into action what they learned.

Trainwreck

The big issue for me is the way speed limits will change arbitrarily in relatively short distances. Almost as if they are designed to catch you out.

The 50 zones in cities are the worst. You might think you are driving down a relatively busy artirial road with a 60 limit, but a very small 50 sign (smaller than the standard size) will pop up on a lamp post somewhere.

FakeViking

120 is bearable on a motorway. 100 is tedious and 80 actually causes a pain in the brain due to inactivity which is likely to cause an accident tbh.
And the logical conclusion of that line of thinking is ....

Watcher2

The M1 at Santry is 80kph because there are so many on/off ramps with merging traffic in a short distance. On/off ramps aren't as close together where the limit is rightly 120kph.

Also, there are road works there at them moment past the airport roundabout that reduce it to 60kph.... which nobody does. I've always thought this would be a good form of public protest.... have a few cars or vans with slogans on actually driving at the speed limit at rush hour coming out of Dublin.... perfectly legal.

I agree though that there are some crazy limits around the country. Some areas where dual carriageways are 60kph is madness, but then, it get the revenue in as you unfortunately found out.
Thats another thing I find odd, the speed limit of 60kph where there are roadworks on the M1 and M50 when it was being upgraded. Before the upgrade there were 2 lanes at 120kph. When they started the roadworks, there were still two lanes open but the limit was reduced to 60kph. Fair enough when the works are ongoing during the day due to machinery and pedestrian workers, but the works were not 24hours but the limits were still reduced during the off hours.

Whats that all about?

nakatomi

So by traveling faster , you are more alert? Presumably the faster you go the more dangerous it is an the more alert you are?