Spider-Man has arrived!

petaljam

Just something that was on the news here in France that I thought might either be a little light distraction from the more serious stuff we've all been discussing, and possibly restore one's faith in humanity a little.

This happened on Saturday in Paris, it's not long, but worth watching IMO.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMHtfBpzFw[/video]

[video=dailymotion;x6kg3n9]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6kg3n9[/video]

(Not sure if the video clip above is working, so here is the clip inserted into a newspaper article)
Paris : il escalade un immeuble pour sauver un enfant suspendu dans le vide - Le Parisien
https://twitter.com/Brevesdepresse/status/1000696086842019840

It's not entirely a feel good story TBH because the toddler who was saved has been taken into care, sadly but unsurprisingly, given that the parents had left him alone in the flat.

The young man who saved him is an undocumented Malien. Not too sure what's going to happen to him but hopefully in the circumstances he will be helped rather than deported.

Last edited:

petaljam

Just something that was on the news here in France that I thought might either be a little light distraction from the more serious stuff we've all been discussing, and possibly restore one's faith in humanity a little.

This happened on Saturday in Paris, it's not long, but worth watching IMO.

[video=dailymotion;x6kg3n9]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6kg3n9[/video]

(Not sure if the video clip above is working, so here is the clip inserted into a newspaper article)
Paris : il escalade un immeuble pour sauver un enfant suspendu dans le vide - Le Parisien
https://twitter.com/Brevesdepresse/status/1000696086842019840

It's not entirely a feelgood story TBH because the toddler who was saved has been taken into care, sadly but unsurprisingly, given that the parents had left him alone in the flat.

The young man who saved him is an undocumented Malien. Not too sure what's going to happen to him but hopefully in the circumstances he will be helped rather than deported.
Quite odd, there is a video clip attached, but it is invisible for me in the post. Don't know if that's just my iPad playing up. The other two links work, and the video is visible on those.

CatullusV

Jesus, he practically ran up that building.

Macron met with him this morning and is expediting the immigration process.

petaljam

It was amazing wasn't it? I see it's in the Guardian and on the BBC now too.
Stunning footage, though it is just a mobile phone video.

As my son pointed out (in the nonchalant, "sure I could have done that" way teenage boys do) it's "just a series of pull-ups really", which is technically correct but all the same! Up four floors on the outside and in a matter of seconds!

He said when he got inside with the little boy he had to sit on the floor, his legs wouldn't hold him any more.
Not surprised - imagine the level of adrenalin it takes to do that without thinking or preparing for it.

recedite

One thing you can say about the Mediterranean migration process into the EU is that it is very Darwinian. We haven't a clue about who they are or what they may have done in the past, but all the men are young strong and virile, and the women are all pregnant.

Round tower

It was amazing wasn't it? I see it's in the Guardian and on the BBC now too.
Stunning footage, though it is just a mobile phone video.

As my son pointed out (in the nonchalant, "sure I could have done that" way teenage boys do) it's "just a series of pull-ups really", which is technically correct but all the same! Up four floors on the outside and in a matter of seconds!

He said when he got inside with the little boy he had to sit on the floor, his legs wouldn't hold him any more.
Not surprised - imagine the level of adrenalin it takes to do that without thinking or preparing for it.
He was asked had he stopped to think about it, he said no, i would imagine if he had he probably would not have done it

Lagertha

That was a wonderful act of bravery, however the man is an illegal migrant who nobody knows anything about. He may very well be a wonderful person, he may also be a threat to the public. Macron was a bit hasty granting him French citizenship that quickly. If it emerged that the man was a murderer or a rapist would people be so happy to see him granted citizenship.

Macron has been getting so much flack from the public that he really needed this good news story. On a side note, the father of the child has been interviewed by police for leaving the child unsupervised, the child had an extremely lucky break that the man was there to save him, apparently the child's parents had left the apartment to ''go shopping'' then decided to play Pokemon Go while they were out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5779907/Father-boy-saved-Spiderman-shopping-playing-Pokemon-Go.html

hollandia

That was a wonderful act of bravery, however the man is an illegal migrant who nobody knows anything about. He may very well be a wonderful person, he may also be a threat to the public. Macron was a bit hasty granting him French citizenship that quickly. If it emerged that the man was a murderer or a rapist would people be so happy to see him granted citizenship.

Macron has been getting so much flack from the public that he really needed this good news story. On a side note, the father of the child has been interviewed by police for leaving the child unsupervised, the child had an extremely lucky break that the man was there to save him, apparently the child's parents had left the apartment to ''go shopping'' then decided to play Pokemon Go while they were out.

Father of boy saved by Malian 'Spiderman' in Paris was out shopping | Daily Mail Online
And it only took seven posts. FFS...

petaljam

Why on earth would you think he might be a rapist? Just because he's a foreigner? He risked his life to save a child he didn't know, that hardly sounds like someone who doesn't care about hurting other people. Funny enough one of the heroes of the Hyper Casher attack (a Jewish supermarket that was attacked after the Charlie Hebdo killings) was Malian too IIRC. A coincidence?

Father of boy saved by Malian 'Spiderman' in Paris was out shopping | Daily Mail Online
I thought the mother was out of town altogether and the father was minding him?

Not sure about Macron, the protest on Saturday was something of a damp squib and the strike at the SNCF seems to be running out of steam. So while it's a good news story, it's not something Macron can really glory in. He didn't do anything. And the mayor of Paris, who's not in his party, was quicker off the mark anyway. He couldn't have done less without being a dog in the manger.

Strawberry

Just seen this on the news, unbelievable how he ran up the outside of that building. No wonder they're calling him Spiderman.

And the Paris Fire Brigade have just offered him a job. Good for him.

Niall996

Awesome. But the other guy took his time reaching for the kid didn't he?

Strawberry

Awesome. But the other guy took his time reaching for the kid didn't he?
The other guy was inside his apartment till the spiderman guy was half way up the building, he came out to see what all the shouting was about and then saw the kid and grabbed hold of him. There wasn't much else he could do from that angle with a glass screen and a metal gate blocking him from getting closer.

New Threads

Most Replies