SPUC's Des Hanafin is no more.

'orebel

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0622/884765-des-hanafin/

Des Hanafin, father of the bould Mary, has passed away.

First elected to the Seanad in 1965 and held his seat until 1993 when he lost by one vote. He won back the seat in 1997 and retired from politics in 2002 but still occasionally made interventions concerning social issues.

An opponent of social change in Ireland, Des Hanafin was one of the promoters of the 8th amendment.

He opposed the legalisation of divorce, which was introduced in 1995, and attempted to overturn the referendum result in the Supreme Court, but was refused by Maurice Gaffney SC. No fan of the auld wife swapping sodomites was Des.

In May 2015, he accused equality campaigners in the marriage equality referendum of spreading a "palpable climate of fear", and called for a No vote.

Meh.

(Apparently a few posters here were offended by my previous thread, in which I adhered to the old adage; 'If you've got nothing good to say, say nothing', so I've fleshed it out a little so as not to offend them.)

Last edited:

gerhard dengler

I don't know much about the man. From what I've read he was at one time one of the most important fundraisers for FF, as appointed by Jack Lynch.
But Hanafin subsequently had very public disagreements after Charles Haughey got control of Fianna Fail.

FF fundraising issues pre Haughey are best described as being opaque. Under Haughey fundraising became outright corruption.

Hanafin seemed to be a man of principle.

R.I.P.

realistic1

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0622/884765-des-hanafin/

Des Hanafin, father of the bould Mary, has passed away.

First elected to the Seanad in 1965 and held his seat until 1993 when he lost by one vote. He won back the seat in 1997 and retired from politics in 2002 but still occasionally made interventions concerning social issues.

An opponent of social change in Ireland, Des Hanafin was one of the promoters of the 8th amendment.

He opposed the legalisation of divorce, which was introduced in 1995, and attempted to overturn the referendum result in the Supreme Court, but was refused by Maurice Gaffney SC. No fan of the auld wife swapping sodomites was Des.

In May 2015, he accused equality campaigners in the marriage equality referendum of spreading a "palpable climate of fear", and called for a No vote.

Meh.

(Apparently a few posters here were offended by my previous thread, in which I adhered to the old adage; 'If you've got nothing good to say, say nothing', so I've fleshed out a little so as not to offend them.)
While I would not agree with a lot of what he stood for, it is still sad to see people with an alternative view passing away, especially as alternative views seem to becoming less and less in the Irish media echo chamber. RIP.

I don't know much about the man. From what I've read he was at one time one of the most important fundraisers for FF, as appointed by Jack Lynch.
But Hanafin subsequently had very public disagreements after Charles Haughey got control of Fianna Fail.

FF fundraising issues pre Haughey are best described as being opaque. Under Haughey fundraising became outright corruption.

Hanafin seemed to be a man of principle.

R.I.P.
I would disagree with a lot of his principles and his part in the 8th, but it cannot be gainsaid that he did what he thought was best for his country.

mr_anderson

Whatever about abortion, he was against divorce.
This made life hell for many people who were in extremely bad (& violent) marriages.

He wasn't happy with his opinion unless he could force it on everyone.
If he had his way, we'd still be living under the Church.

Potentially a very dangerous man.
Thanks God the country voted against him on that.

realistic1

The problem was that he was hell bent on making sure that other people had to live by his rules, not their own opinions.
but the same can be said about any new laws and rights that the recent Governments have made. A sizeable population have to live with rules that they find morally or socially wrong. e.g. Same sex marriage, Traveler ethnicity etc...

'orebel

I would disagree with a lot of his principles and his part in the 8th, but it cannot be gainsaid that he did what he thought was best for his country.
Which country? This one or the one in Rome?

gerhard dengler

This made life hell for many people who were in extremely bad (& violent) marriages.

The man was entitled to voice his opinion that divorce be not legislated for in Irish law.

I don't recall the man voicing the opinion that everyone must attend Mass every Sunday (church law).

Erudite Caveman

but the same can be said about any new laws and rights that the recent Governments have made. A sizeable population have to live with rules that they find morally or socially wrong. e.g. Same sex marriage, Traveler ethnicity etc...
Not true. Nobody forced me to marry a man since the Marriage Referendum. In reality it has had no effect on me.

As for the travellers, it is a load of sh1te and a bad law, but it didn't change me into a traveller. At worst someone has declared I'm not a traveller.

'orebel

^This^
If you believe, as some claim to, that a person exists at conception then surely you would do everything in your power to oppose abortion but to force other people to live in unhappy or abusive relationships because of your personal religious views ...... and to then attempt to have the result of the second referendum overturned ..... the mind boggles.

mr_anderson

Strawman agrument Bea.
No problem with him having his opinion.
But I'd be loathe to allow him force it upon others.

If he had his way, we'd be living under church rule.
Very, very dangerous man.

mangaire2

he was very much on the Des O'Malley wing of FF, so he wouldn't have been a hero of mine.
but, I admired the way he continued to fight for the principles & values that he believed in,

at dheis Dé, go raibh a anam.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies