Squaring A Society Given to Strong Marian Devotion With being Very Misogynistic?

General Urko

One of the most prominent features of traditional Irish Catholicism was strong Marian Devotion.

There is also no doubt that we were very much a woman hating society, given that-

We had institutions such as The Magdelene Laundries/Concentration Camps to incarcerate women perceived of as 'wayward' (often the victims of rape and incest)

Women were treated horribly unequally in employment and succession rights

Women, in my opinion, were pschosexually FGMed

Also probably more likely to be subjected to domestic assault and rape, (the latter within marriage, not illegal for many decades) than elsewhere

And that more women actually ran out of here than me, which is extremely unusual in emigration patterns, globally

So how do we square Marian Devotion to extreme misogyny?

darkhorse

No, most women were on board at that time
Stop trying to transfer your values of today back to the 1950's
Try making a point about todays issues if you want to make yourself look good

General Urko

No, most women were on board at that time
Stop trying to transfer your values of today back to the 1950's
Try making a point about todays issues if you want to make yourself look good
Not sure about that - Stockholm Syndrome, were women the main haters of women, back in the day?

silverharp

Not sure about that - Stockholm Syndrome, were women the main haters of women, back in the day?
it would make sense that women would enforce rules against other women. always got the impression that men mentally checked out of most of this. it was an alliance between women and their priest eforcers

Karloff

One of the most prominent features of traditional Irish Catholicism was strong Marian Devotion.

There is also no doubt that we were very much a woman hating society, given that-

We had institutions such as The Magdelene Laundries/Concentration Camps to incarcerate women perceived of as 'wayward' (often the victims of rape and incest)

Women were treated horribly unequally in employment and succession rights

Women, in my opinion, were pschosexually FGMed

Also probably more likely to be subjected to domestic assault and rape, (the latter within marriage, not illegal for many decades) than elsewhere

And that more women actually ran out of here than me, which is extremely unusual in emigration patterns, globally

So how do we square Marian Devotion to extreme misogyny?

Almost all of the world (including much of Europe) had very similar attitudes to women in those times.

A better question is why do we beat ourselves up so much about aspects of our independence?

The laundries were bequeathed to us from the empire.

General Urko

So why raise an issue about so far in the past?
Utterly irrelevant now - if not just to make you feel good about yourself
May be I should have put this thread in the history/herstory forum?

General Urko

Almost all of the world (including much of Europe) had very similar attitudes to women in those times.

A better question is why do we beat ourselves up so much about aspects of our independence?

The laundries were bequeathed to us from the empire.
Very few Societies had such a high level of Marian Devotion and the misogyny was pursued in its various forms with a real zeal post independence!

General Urko

Maybe you should have just given yourself a good handrub?
The substance of this thread is an extremely legitimate point to make in a historical context!

General Urko

So why raise an issue about so far in the past?
Utterly irrelevant now - if not just to make you feel good about yourself
Have we left misogyny behind? We constitutionally equate a woman's life in value terms to a foetus!:mad:

D

Deleted member 45466

[video=youtube;zh3QqSVKtpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh3QqSVKtpA[/video]

General Urko

darkhorse

Have we left misogyny behind? We constitutionally equate a woman's life in value terms to a foetus!:mad:
Society moves on - and it has
But whats the point is raising debates that have ended decades ago - if not just to make you feel good about yourself?

D

Deleted member 45466

Analyse, defend your position, don't engage in Bozoism!:roll:
There's about 1,546,789 threads on misogyny in general, and an astronomical number - equivalent to the estimated probability that via genetic mutation, Homo Sapiens descended from Pithecanthropus - on the alleged entrenched hatred of women in Irish society pre-celtic tiger era. Now, I reckon that the fairer sex were more likely to put the town bikes in state run penitentiaries, but shewer I'm just a misognysticistic C@#!!^, so I would say that!

Why you've elected to create another uninspiring, unoriginal echo chamber is beyond me.

Mind you, I suspect that geezers like yourself are only interested in liberalising the wimmens, as a short path to getting inside their goodies.

Simples, but fiendishly clever.

darkhorse

There's about 1,546,789 threads on misogyny in general, and an astronomical number - equivalent to the estimated probability that via genetic mutation, Homo Sapiens descended from Pithecanthropus - on the alleged entrenched hatred of women in Irish society pre-celtic tiger era. Now, I reckon that the fairer sex were more likely to put the town bikes in state run penitentiaries, but shewer I'm just a misognysticistic C@#!!^, so I would say that!

Why you've elected to create another uninspiring, unoriginal echo chamber is beyond me.

Mind you, I suspect that geezers like yourself are only interested in liberalising the wimmens, as a short path to getting inside their goodies.

True
He is always yapping on about the rights of hookers to sell their wares
Makes sense

General Urko

No

I asked a simple question how do we square the notion of a society traditionally having a strong Marian Devotion with also being one that was at the same time highly misogynistic - is that not very inconsistent?

stopdoingstuff

If your kids had only a 50/50 chance of making it, controlling women and fertility was an evolutionary imperative. "Misogyny" is a term we use in hindsight and from a position of comfort and ease.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies