Squatting as a solution to Ghost Estates/Apartments

H

There are thousands of unoccupied Houses and apartments being left to rot by Nama etc with proposals to bulldoze even the most viable of buildings

I would suggest for anyone who has serious housing problems brought on by the Green/FFer's policies and their bank/developer friends that created the housing bubble thta they should squat in any vacant house/apartment.

We could learn a lot from the Dutch

In Amsterdam and other cities squatters started occupying houses and other building that had been empty for over a year. These buildings belonged to so-called ‘house milkers’ — landlords that deliberately kept the buildings empty (sounds familar?) and refused to carry out any upkeep, speculating that the sites the houses stood on would earn more money than they could get if they rented or sold the homes so they were happy to let them fall into ruin and have them bulldozed.

In Amsterdam squatters saved many historic buildings, even the entire historic Jordaan district from the bulldozers. The movement won a lot of sympathy, not in the least from the estimated 54.000 folk looking for a place to live. Heres the nub:- In some cases the squatters contacted the owner of a squatted building, offering a deal: "we’ll pay this much in rent or buy" if you leave us alone.

So instead of tearing down many viable houses and apartment blocks I would suggest a nice bit of anarchy would not go amiss and the state may actually earn some money from it

Conrad

It is a very interesting idea, and did work wonders for Amsterdam. But one thing i would point out is that in Amsterdam you need to occupy a building for 6 months and follow certain rules to successfully squat, in Ireland I think its more like 12 years without objection. Amsterdam was so successful because government introduced legislation bringing the time period down to 6 months. Maybe something simular could be brought in over here. Although i can't imagine FF or FG ever agreeing to this.

SevenStars

Any attempts to establish squats on an English or mainland model here have been met the Billy Boys of the Guardians of the Peace with extreme brutality. If you want to squat best choose a burnt out council flat on a block already filled with drug addicts...Otherwise prepare to get your legs broken.

H

Any attempts to establish squats on an English or mainland model here have been met the Billy Boys of the Guardians of the Peace with extreme brutality. If you want to squat best choose a burnt out council flat on a block already filled with drug addicts...Otherwise prepare to get your legs broken.
Good grief!

Surely you are not suggesting that Fearless Dermo' Ahern's private force would take the law into their own hands and perhaps enter a corporation owned premises, lock someone in a room illegally and beat the living daylights out of a.n.other person whilst....

Oh bugger!

I better not say anything more just in case some gawd awful gobsheen decides that politics.ie is some form of meeja that can be used to scupper err...maybe a trial?

Cael

I would suggest for anyone who has serious housing problems brought on by the Green/FFer's policies and their bank/developer friends that created the housing bubble thta they should squat in any vacant house/apartment.
I would commend anyone who does it.

cricket

Whatever about squatting ( and I think it's justified in many cases ) , could anyone tell me while you still have planning applications being made for huge domestic and retail developments all over the country ? Is there a scam being developed where the state , in a NAMA type arrangement , will end up taking these over as well ?

Inda Kenny

Without being negative how many of these house even have ESB or running water. Most of the ones near me barely have a roof or windows.

Civic_critic2

Squatting the vacant homes up and down the country is an idea that's probably being mulled by many. To do it properly you would need to gather together a couple of hundred people to take over a number of houses in one ghost estate simultaneously, that way you would be engaging in a political action of some potential impact that would not be easy to deal with by the powers that be. Any less than that and they'll just kick the crap out of you as a threat to their landlord-minded gombeenocracy.

Dan_Murphy

Heres the nub:- In some cases the squatters contacted the owner of a squatted building, offering a deal: "we’ll pay this much in rent or buy" if you leave us alone.
Apologies, but I don't understand this bit.

How is paying that money any different from just plain old renting? :confused:

H

Whatever about squatting ( and I think it's justified in many cases ) , could anyone tell me while you still have planning applications being made for huge domestic and retail developments all over the country ? Is there a scam being developed where the state , in a NAMA type arrangement , will end up taking these over as well ?
Shhh! don't tell anyone out loud, perhaps you have heard the all night working by the genius's in Revenue as they investigate and roll back all of the outrageous tax breaks brought in by the FFers and totally supported by the sleazy Green scumm party that are now been dismantled!

OOppps! Apolgies! I was asleep and having a dream.....

The same tax breaks are still in place with tinkering on the edges to ensure they stay in place

H

Apologies, but I don't understand this bit.

How is paying that money any different from just plain old renting? :confused:
The taxpayer now owns most of these properties, we would earn something back whilst housing the needy

Ruaidhri

Sounds like a good idea. Unfortunatly a lot of these ghost estates are in the back end of nowhere with no local facilities and I can't imagine ANYONE moving in there.

RepublicOfLuas

Currently in Amsterdam. The Anti-Squatting agencies are working a treat. I think we need something like that in Ireland. Thousands homeless, hundreds living on the streets. Madness that the government aren't using these empty/ghost premises to solve some problems.

New Threads

Most Replies