• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

St. Columcilles hospital in Loughlinstown is to lose its Accident and Emergency department in July

greenwithirony

According to the Wicklow Times Eamon Gilmore has briefed Wicklow TD's about the imminent closure.

The alternative to St. Columcilles A & E, which serves 21,000 patients every year is St. Vincent's hospital which is completely overstretched already as frequently patients are left on trolleys despite the staff’s best efforts.

This U-turn, yet another by traitor Gilmore places the safety of the population of South County Dublin and Wicklow in danger. What can the possible justification for closing A & Es be? If any cuts are to be made to frontline services (& needless to say none of this should occur before TDs salaries pensions & perks are curtailed) surely there are other less time-critical facilities that can be scaled back?

DaveM

No surprise. This was flagged up months back.

Loughlinstown is the closest A&E to me and I wouldn't be too pushed about this. St. Vincent's and Tallaght are only a further 10/15 minutes.

greenwithirony

No surprise. This was flagged up months back.

Loughlinstown is the closest A&E to me and I wouldn't be too pushed about this. St. Vincent's and Tallaght are only a further 10/15 minutes.
What about people other than yourself who live further away than you? Who are elderly & suffer a stroke or a heart attack? That's 10 or 15 mins extra to a journey that already takes maybe 30 mins from say Wicklow/Arklow.

Porkypie

According to the Wicklow Times Eamon Gilmore has briefed Wicklow TD's about the imminent closure.

The alternative to St. Columcilles A & E, which serves 21,000 patients every year is St. Vincent's hospital which is completely overstretched already as frequently patients are left on trolleys despite the staff’s best efforts.

This U-turn, yet another by traitor Gilmore places the safety of the population of South County Dublin and Wicklow in danger. What can the possible justification for closing A & Es be? If any cuts are to be made to frontline services (& needless to say none of this should occur before TDs salaries pensions & perks are curtailed) surely there are other less time-critical facilities that can be scaled back?
Privatisation of the Health Service is the Government's ultimate aim.

Ryan Tubbs

Ok.

1. It is 10 minutes drive from Loughlinstown to St. Vincent's

2. The A&E in Vincents is actually one of the most improved in the country. The numbers on trollies fell by a quarter in 2012 alone.

But sher, we should still have an A&E in every parish, regardless of quality, cost, footfall, etc......

ManOfReason

What about people other than yourself who live further away than you? Who are elderly & suffer a stroke or a heart attack? That's 10 or 15 mins extra to a journey that already takes maybe 30 mins from say Wicklow/Arklow.
There is always Wexford Hospital :p

greenwithirony

Ok.

1. It is 10 minutes drive from Loughlinstown to St. Vincent's

2. The A&E in Vincents is actually one of the most improved in the country. The numbers on trollies fell by a quarter in 2012 alone.

But sher, we should still have an A&E in every parish, regardless of quality, cost, footfall, etc......
You're ignoring just about every pertinent point already made, & your post can therefore be instantly dismissed.

Last edited:

DaveM

Can't have an A&E at the end of every street. In any event in an ambulance, i.e. in an emergecy, it would be less than that amount of time.

D

Dylan2010

also if one has a few euros in your back pocket you have the Beacon, Blackrock clinic and the VHI clinic in Dundrum for all your "walking woudned" compalints. Im only around the corner from Vincents but it wouldnt be my first choice.

wombat

Ok.

1. It is 10 minutes drive from Loughlinstown to St. Vincent's......
10 mins flight maybe, even at ambulance speed it will be closer to 20 mins.

Ryan Tubbs

Statistically, someone in Roscommon Town who had a heart attack had a better chance of surviving if they ignored the local A&E and went to Galway University Hospital.

Why? Because the standard of care there was much better, it was better equipped, and was much more used to dealing with heart attacks because of the population in its catchment area.

The same will apply here.

Although on edit: If you're to listen to that poor fool Praveen, Galway is the most dangerous place on earth, and he would have taken her elsewhere if he had known the situation. Presumably to some rat-infested kip in New Delhi.

Last edited:

DaveM

You're ignoring just about every pertinent already made, & your post can therefore be instantly dismissed.
Finish the M11 between Jack White's and the Beehive. How much time will that save? Or any of the other upgrades on the N11 route in the past 15 years? Arklow to St. Vincent's now is much quicker than Arklow to Loughlinstown 10 years ago.

greenwithirony

Can't have an A&E at the end of every street. In any event in an ambulance, i.e. in an emergecy, it would be less than that amount of time.
I didn't say every street. Dismissed.

Rural

Loughlinstown was shyte for many, many years. I told my family that if anything happened to me to whizz past Loughlinstown and get me to Vincents.

Porkypie

Roscommon to Castlebar General Hospital is some journey. Its not so much the travel time as the waiting times once you get there. Let the spin begin

SilverSpurs

Fine increase the HSE levy part of the USC to 6% from 4% (like it is in the UK) and then you can have all the 'free' healthcare you want.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
What do you expect? Austerity means kicking those easiest hurt, while all the time the politicians do what is best in their own interests. Why should anyone be surprised at what goes on in this country anymore. Lets keep the Berties+Cowens+Coughlans in 1'500+pw pensions. After all they did their bit for us all while in office.

greenwithirony

Illogical bleating & whinnying from the usual austerity-for-other-people apologists aside, nobody has properly addressed the central point here IMO. There must be less time-critical services all around the country that can be curtailed long before one which is ALL ABOUT TIME needs to be (never mind TDs' pay, pensions & perks).

greenwithirony

Loughlinstown was shyte for many, many years. I told my family that if anything happened to me to whizz past Loughlinstown and get me to Vincents.
It had a bad rep, granted, but had actually improved considerably over recent years.