• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

St. Patrick Day 2013.

Marcos the black

So, it's that time of year when we celebrate everything Irish and Oirish.. Usually with drink... One of things I really don't miss is St. Patrick's day in Dublin... Last time I was there the streets in and around O'Connell Street were literally strewn with teenagers crashed out at 4 of clock in the afternoon...

Anyway, enough of that. As part of the celebration I thought I'd bring you some of the worst screen Irish accents ever... The ones that make you cringe inside.. You know the ones Far and Away for example.. Here's some more... Enjoy the weekend and be good you crazy kids...

[video=youtube_share;u4_f-Ht5-vY]http://youtu.be/u4_f-Ht5-vY[/video]

Analyzer

Unfortunately....for some peculiar reason.....the actual act of "celebrating" your Irishness results in many Irish people becomming absolute gobsh!tes for a day.

It may as well be termed "gobsh!te day above and beyond the call of necessity" Day. The behavioural problems of Irish people, when expressing their "pride".....not exactly something to be "proud" of....in fact it is the biggest cringe of the calendar in most years.

Does this tell us something about the prevalent psyche or the prevalent (media encouraged) set of mores that he ascribe to being Irish ?

Something ugly/immature/disrespectful/stupid perhaps ?

Kev408

I'm going to simply try to enjoy it. Go to a nice place, have a few beers in good company, maybe see some Irish dancing, hear a few traditional airs/songs and then go home having had a pleasant day. What I'm going to try not to be is a moaning old, grumpy fart intent on getting even older before my time.

drummed

Unfortunately....for some peculiar reason.....the actual act of "celebrating" your Irishness results in many Irish people becomming absolute gobsh!tes for a day.

It may as well be termed "gobsh!te day above and beyond the call of necessity" Day. The behavioural problems of Irish people, when expressing their "pride".....not exactly something to be "proud" of....in fact it is the biggest cringe of the calendar in most years.

Does this tell us something about the prevalent psyche or the prevalent (media encouraged) set of mores that he ascribe to being Irish ?

Something ugly/immature/disrespectful/stupid perhaps ?
You are not wrong except prehaps for the words "for a day" in the first sentence. Its every day for all too many people. Putting it down to the media is stretching things. Some of our citizens are just a bit dim and not from reading The Irish Times either.

I blame the teachers myself.

So, it's that time of year when we celebrate everything Irish and Oirish.. Usually with drink... One of things I really don't miss is St. Patrick's day in Dublin... Last time I was there the streets in and around O'Connell Street were literally strewn with teenagers crashed out at 4 of clock in the afternoon...

Anyway, enough of that. As part of the celebration I thought I'd bring you some of the worst screen Irish accents ever... The ones that make you cringe inside.. You know the ones Far and Away for example.. Here's some more... Enjoy the weekend and be good you crazy kids...

Isn't being drunks part of our culture though?

Eire1976

What a low opinion you have of the nation, dweeb

Analyzer

You are not wrong except prehaps for the words "for a day" in the first sentence. Its every day for all too many people. Putting it down to the media is stretching things. Some of our citizens are just a bit dim and not from reading The Irish Times either.
I am not blaming teachers. I reckon teachers do as much as they can get away with in this country, to set people on the right path.

I reckon it is a form of groupthink conditioning. At it's root is a strong element of intellectual laziness. Too lazy to think. Instead stick in a comfort zone where the brain can be stuck in neutral and follow the crowd.

Instead the tendency to "go with the flow" even if the flow is going in a reckless and dangerous way. Something to do with the behaviour of crowds, and a tendency towards a lemming type excitement from being part of the movement of the crowd. Or maybe just a courage deficiency, and seeking reassurance from the crowd.

julieandrews

Worst Irish accent in a film has got to be Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away. Absolutely appalling!!

As for Paddys day, I will be avoiding pubs and any stereotypical Oirish stuff.

drummed

I am not blaming teachers. I reckon teachers do as much as they can get away with in this country, to set people on the right path.

I reckon it is a form of groupthink conditioning. At it's root is a strong element of intellectual laziness. Too lazy to think about the society around you, and instead the tendency to "go with the flow" even if the flow is going in a reckless and dangerous way.
Prehaps but in relation to the frankly childish attitude to alcohol which blights the nation i actually blame the parents. Kids of 12 who are drunk at 4pm on the public street (or anywhere) should be removed from the family home for all our safety. We have a lot to learn and if these specimens are the future god help us all. We need a serious dose of cop-on as a country and fairly soon as well.

Our politicians and IBEC would argue that St Patricks day is great for the economy. From the governments perspective however I doubt there is a large surplus of revenue. Alot of money will be spent on putting drunks in cells along with increase in the number of people being admitted to hospital.

Cato

I avoid that day like the plague. Out to the country for a walk with the kids and then home and pull up the drawbridge.

Analyzer

Isn't being drunks part of our culture though?
In what way ? Like being a fat slob is part of American culture.

My point being...there are consequences. Consequences for the people who work in the A & E units. And most of them would rather deal with obese polite docile Americans who need two chairs, than Paddy who decides to wreck the place and thumps the nurse. An A & E unit this weekend will be a very scary place. Some nurses are dreading being on shift when Paddy expresses his involvement in the national day with an display of utter gobsh!tery and ignorance.

This is Arter's little island, and there are times when it seems that the people are conditioned to behave as such. Just like the US is the home of fast food.

pippakin

I don't know why we have a Paddys day. I think we should find something that's entirely Irish, not Catholic and not born in the UK to celebrate. I shall be at home on the day all day.

drummed

I avoid that day like the plague. Out to the country for a walk with the kids and then home and pull up the drawbridge.

Its long time the large number of people who feel ashamed of this shambles of a day spoke up.

With any luck the land will dry out by Monday and i can spend the day sowing corn far from the stupidity.

flavirostris

P.S I love you has some of the worst Irish accents ever in a movie and it dosen't have the excuse of being 20 or 30 years old.

slippy wicket

I for one wouldn't consider going out on paddys night, pubs full if drunken oiks wouldn't be my thing.

lying eyes

Jeez it used to be a dry day ( Pubs closed) By the way it is usually peeing out of the heavens........

Tin Foil Hat

I never payed much attention to Paddy's day myself. In the last few years, though, I've started to hate it more and more. It has turned into a two week long festival, one week before the 17th and one week after, of our favourite national pastime: out-and-out self-loathing. It's two week long whingefest where we exaggerate how much we drink, downplay how much everyone else drinks, and miss no opportunity to tell anyone who will listen how little we think of ourselves.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies