St Patrick's Day trips abroad for 23 officials

greengoose2

This time of year again!

“St Patrick’s Day is a day of national celebration for Irish people and for our diaspora all round the world. It gives Ireland a unique global platform and an opportunity to reflect on all that is best in our country.”
Doesn't need these junkets to show what's best in the country.

“The road to economic recovery and new jobs for our people is through innovating at home and growing our exports abroad. We can and will create the new jobs of the future through international trade, investment, tourism and the smart economy.”
WE are saved. More fukkin jobs. This must be a masterpiece. When all is over we might get to see the bill for this school outing!

Pauli

Harney is off to New Zealand. Still not far enough.

Aristodemus

I don't think these visits do any harm and the diaspora seem to like them. Apart from the cost, and in the grand scheme of things it's not that bad, what's to object to?

FakeViking

I don't think these visits do any harm and the diaspora seem to like them. Apart from the cost, and in the grand scheme of things it's not that bad, what's to object to?
I'd agree, if they were given one-way tickets, first class is fine.

SilverLining

The shower of greedy wasters should under no circumstances be allowed outside the country. They will lie and con us into believing stories of trade missions, investment seeking and reaching out to the diaspora. They are costly junkets and nothing else but that. These greedy f**kers are just having a laugh at our expense.

DCon

I bet Obama is really looking forward to Cowen grunting at him from behind a bowl of shamrock.

"Going forward Barrack, ugh ugh smart economy, ah knowledge economy uh uh. Where's the beer? Let's have a sing-song!"

constitutionus

ok while i can buy the ministers going on the grounds of drumming up business, the sheer number of em is taking the piss.

not to mention the nonsensical places some of them seem to be going to.

but can someone explain to me why the ******************** the atorney general going too ?

he's heading to dubai ! (well the UAE anyway)

setting up a central hub to bail drunk ministers out of local pokeys prehaps?

Sync

ok while i can buy the ministers going on the grounds of drumming up business, the sheer number of em is taking the piss.

not to mention the nonsensical places some of them seem to be going to.

but can someone explain to me why the ******************** the atorney general going too ?

he's heading to dubai ! (well the UAE anyway)

setting up a central hub to bail drunk ministers out of local pokeys prehaps?
Dubai is still an international hub for investment despite their recent problems, and we have an ever increasing amount of students from the UAE coming over here to private schools. There are still extremly rich people over there looking to invest abroad. It makes sense to go there, as it does New Zealand/Australia due to the increasing Irish presence there. Less so the trip to Vietnam one of them is taking.

I think Cowen's said he's going to publish the reasons for the individual trips which is a good step.

In general it's a good thing, there aren't that many islands of 4 million whose elected representatives have a guaranteed day of face time with world leaders. Taoiseach (and if they go in his stead, the Tanaiste) should be in first class, everyone else, stick em in business though.

FakeViking

Who'll be left?

In recent years the country was left in the safe (!) hands of Willie O'Dea, who is taking responsibility for the ship of state this year?

EditL Michael O'Regan on MI now, reckons Gormley will be in charge. We're fu$ked.

JohnBlake

So what would you have politicians do exactly? I think they are right to get out there and do this.

hammer

It is important that we send our best people abroad to check out these cities for our emigrants :)

Surely with the cost cutting this will be money well spent.

How many hangers on are going also ?

constitutionus

Dubai is still an international hub for investment despite their recent problems, and we have an ever increasing amount of students from the UAE coming over here to private schools. There are still extremly rich people over there looking to invest abroad. It makes sense to go there, as it does New Zealand/Australia due to the increasing Irish presence there. Less so the trip to Vietnam one of them is taking.

I think Cowen's said he's going to publish the reasons for the individual trips which is a good step.

In general it's a good thing, there aren't that many islands of 4 million whose elected representatives have a guaranteed day of face time with world leaders. Taoiseach (and if they go in his stead, the Tanaiste) should be in first class, everyone else, stick em in business though.
im not disputing the importance of the UAE.

Saudi arabia is a massive invester in gov bonds.

my question is why the hell the AG is going?

surely a country as important as that merits one of the big three !

JohnBlake

I think the issue is people hate even the word "politician" now more than ever.

Podolski1.5

As I've said before, we are the only country in the world where our national holiday is celebrated by almost the entire government going abroad with begging bowls.

SilverLining

So what would you have politicians do exactly? I think they are right to get out there and do this.
Stay at home and sort out the many messes they have created for the rest of us. Instead to swan around the world playing Paddy the Irish(wo)man. They are complete and utter gob****es, every last one of them. I am not limiting that last comment to the junta parties, the remaining planks of wood in Leinster House are also a complete waste of space and money.

They think that they are only accountable to us during elections. We are also paying them between polling days to do a job. Being absent from the problems they have caused is not doing their job. Barely 3 days in the Dail is not taking things seriously. They are spending far too much time in the constituencies doing the work of the redundant local councillors. They should be in Dublin working a full 6 days a week. Things are far too serious for their flippant behaviour.

They are just having a laugh at our expense.

Sync

Oh, yes I'd agree. The question is who you send. Given the sensibilities of who you're dealing with, probably not Harney or Coughlan. That leaves Cowen who has to go to the US, or Lenihan who isn't travelling. Martin maybe, who might go down well due to the conversations he could have surrounding the recent Israel/Passport affair, but I think he's off to the states.

JohnBlake

Stay at home and sort out the many messes they have created for the rest of us. Instead to swan around the world playing Paddy the Irish(wo)man. They are complete and utter gob****es, every last one of them. I am not limiting that last comment to the junta parties, the remaining planks of wood in Leinster House are also a complete waste of space and money.

They think that they are only accountable to us during elections. We are also paying them between polling days to do a job. Being absent from the problems they have caused is not doing their job. Barely 3 days in the Dail is not taking things seriously. They are spending far too much time in the constituencies doing the work of the redundant local councillors. They should be in Dublin working a full 6 days a week. Things are far too serious for their flippant behaviour.

They are just having a laugh at our expense.
What do you blame them for? The GLOBAL downturn? The housing market collapse? Its fair to say we all bought in to it while the money was flowing.

Its easy for us to blame them, but the fact is we should blame ourselves.

constitutionus

Oh, yes I'd agree. The question is who you send. Given the sensibilities of who you're dealing with, probably not Harney or Coughlan. That leaves Cowen who has to go to the US, or Lenihan who isn't travelling. Martin maybe, who might go down well due to the conversations he could have surrounding the recent Israel/Passport affair, but I think he's off to the states.
that just hit me now.

calamity woundnt go down well at all as they'd probably think she's a hooker with her hair.

ideally someone from finance would be best. obviously lenny cant go but surely a junior minister with a similar portfolio would do.

bar that i agree martin is a good choice for the reasons you mooted. hell even someon from the senate might do if the saudis see them in the same light the yanks do. the americans think our senators are much more important than they actually are. :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies