Stalinists at NTA find solution to Dublin transport crisis: Buses

Volatire

After many decades of incompetence and corruption Dublin has degenerated into a three zone city.

(1) a fully welfare dependent, crime-ridden, junkie infested, inner zone
(2) a nearly equally squalid outer zone of ugly housing estates with poor infrastructure and intractable social problems
(3) a charming middle zone consisting of elegant edwardian, victorian and georgian housing with vibrant amenities

Geniuses at the National Transport Authority have come up with a plan to link the inner and outer shïtholes by demolishing the middle zone.

To make way for wider bus lanes and cycle paths, thousands of well established houses will have their front gardens demolished. Or worse.

Much of Dublin's finest exterior architecture is to be bulldozed so that inner city shoplifters can get more quickly to out-of-town shopping centres. CPOs will be used to crush any resistance. It's a stroke of Stalinist Genius. Or Maoist.

Dublins transport problems are real, but this destructive cheapskate plan isn't a solution. It just kicks the can down the road and will cause irreversible damage.

The fabric of the city is fragile. It must be protected from idiots pushing bad policy.

soubresauts

... To make way for wider bus lanes and cycle paths, thousands of well established houses will have their front gardens demolished. Or worse.

Much of Dublin's finest exterior architecture is to be bulldozed so that inner city shoplifters can get more quickly to out-of-town shopping centres. CPOs will be used to crush any resistance. It's a stroke of Stalinist Genius. Or Maoist.

Dublins transport problems are real, but this destructive cheapskate plan isn't a solution. It just kicks the can down the road and will cause irreversible damage.

The fabric of the city is fragile. It must be protected from idiots pushing bad policy.
You could be right. I'm glad I got out of Dublin some years ago.

Nebuchadnezzar

@Voltaire

Much of Dublin's finest exterior architecture is to be bulldozed
How much?

How many buildings will be demolished under this plan?

Orbit v2

swiftway_overall_network_map.jpg

After many decades of incompetence and corruption Dublin has degenerated into a three zone city.

(2) a nearly equally squalid outer zone of ugly housing estates with poor infrastructure and intractable social problems
(3) a charming middle zone consisting of elegant edwardian, victorian and georgian housing with vibrant amenities

Geniuses at the National Transport Authority have come up with a plan to link the inner and outer shïtholes by demolishing the middle zone.

To make way for wider bus lanes and cycle paths, thousands of well established houses will have their front gardens demolished. Or worse.

A charming middle zone... indeed.

You sound a bit like Michael McDowell, railing against the Dublin Metro because of the effect it will have on one tiny part of Ranelagh.

farnaby

If that's the case you owe us a map showing precisely how your three zones overlay the city. Something tells me it'll basically be "knackerless areas I therefore like" vs "areas I don't like (inner)" & "areas I don't like (outer)".

Dublin favelas? Do tell.

Better not be talking about my beloved north county Dublin :evil:

Ironically occupied by those whose incompetence and corruption you rail against...

Why are faster bus routes bad policy? Urban sprawl? Well then there is indeed a better alternative - higher density accommodation closer to the city centre. Guess what happens to those charming low density red bricks in that scenario - complete demolition vs losing some of the front garden.

storybud1

Has anyone looked at the introduction of Private Bus companies not accepting travel passes ?? or only operating via membership ? if people knew the bus they were getting was gurrier free and clean it would be a game changer,

Public transport is like a Council Housing Estate ? a tiny minority ruin if for everyone ,, perhaps they could ensure the scum just don't get to use it ? and they can run scum buses for them, last time I was on a bus a little scrote tried to pull my newspaper off me claiming it was his ? I just made a line straight to him and his buddy pulled him back down to the seat,, out of his face on drugs but I would have been the one in the dock if I got a grip of the little sh1tbag,

Proper Dublin Bus, no knackery little scrotes trying to hassle you and ruining your paid for trip ?(while they go free) get free WiFi, ultra clean seats and air conditioning ?

Seems fair enough to me ?

ON THE ONE ROAD

the idea is to put in cycle lanes as well. if it gets them of the footpaths it might be worth it.

Kylemore road is a parking lot at peek traffic times. footpaths there are fairly wide in parts, could use the same idea, widen the rd, bus and cycle lane.

McTell

Twitter
No
Buses, 1920s tech for the 2020s....

Why not pods on a robotic monorail system? Above the streets, not perfect for wheelchair users, so have some single decker buses as well.

But the real solution now is: drive in at 6am, using bus lanes; drive out after 7pm using bus lanes.

Anyone got a clue how many hundred acres of dublin are under bus lanes? That is a huge investment that is no use if you have a unionised workforce running it. Nobody sees it as an investment because the streets are free, ain't they? But it is a huge long-term investment that should be assessed like any other.

Paddy{ie

What a quandary for the Greenies! Should we cut back people’s gardens, and. the benefits to the environment of having such green spaces, some of which will have trees as well, to make way for a “green”, diesel-smoke- spewing transport system right against the doors of these homes?
Come in SPN, your carriage awaits!

Conor

Buses, 1920s tech for the 2020s....

Why not pods on a robotic monorail system?
Is there a chance the track could bend?

Catalpast

Does anyone on this thread (other than yours truly) actually use Dublin Bus on a daily basis?

None of the descriptions given so far bear the any resemblance to reality IMO

gerhard dengler

Does anyone on this thread (other than yours truly) actually use Dublin Bus on a daily basis?

None of the descriptions given so far bear the any resemblance to reality IMO
I used to use DB daily, for years. I stopped doing so because even with the opening of corridors the commute to the city centre began to take nearly 1 hr (for a 4.5 mile distance).
Motorbike or cycling, walking, is far easier.

The official policy of resistance to allowing Dublin to be built higher, rather than wider, is reaping this entire mess

Last edited:

Volatire

The official policy of resistance to allowing Dublin to be built higher, rather than wider, is reaping this entire mess
Yes. The growing transport mess is a mathematically inevitable consequence of earlier planning errors.

NTAs "swift bus" bullshít is a sticking plaster. A cheapskate destructive non-solution designed to kick the can down the road.

Light rail and underground are known long term solutions. Meanwhile incompetent fückwits at NTA are telling us that we have to destroy Dublin in order to save it.

Analyzer

Public transport is like a Council Housing Estate ? a tiny minority ruin if for everyone ,, perhaps they could ensure the scum just don't get to use it ? and they can run scum buses for them, last time I was on a bus a little scrote tried to pull my newspaper off me claiming it was his ? I just made a line straight to him and his buddy pulled him back down to the seat,, out of his face on drugs but I would have been the one in the dock if I got a grip of the little sh1tbag
Maybe the solution is to put an end to social welfare based "fringe benefits", and get people of a certain attitude to walk instead of using public transport ?

Analyzer

I used to use DB daily, for years. I stopped doing so because even with the opening of corridors the commute to the city centre began to take nearly 1 hr (for a 4.5 mile distance).
Motorbike or cycling, walking, is far easier.

Exactly. Dublin - a vertically limited city.

Windowshopper

Is there a chance the track could bend?
The comment reminds of the lad who wrote in the Atlantic last week about replacing the NYC Subway with hooverboards.

Chapo Traphouse make fun of it here, well worth a listen.

[video=youtube;HYY4mzEb8ZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYY4mzEb8ZY[/video]

Windowshopper

This thread could have been an interesting discussion if the OP wasn't so provocative or crap.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies