• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Standing Ovation for Mattie

kingofpiccadilly

Mattie McGrath attended tonights Munster Greyhound Derby Final in Clonmel where he received a standing ovation from the large attendance

i actually saw him at a funeral earlier today and he was surrounded by well-wishers there too

far from being a gom, Mattie appears to have pulled a political masterstroke. If there is an election anytime soon he will the top the poll in South Tipperary, elected on the first count

Mushroom

far from being a gom, Mattie appears to have pulled a political masterstroke. If there is an election anytime soon he will the top the poll in South Tipperary, elected on the first count

Good news - hopefully that'll signal the end of that arrogant, stammering Haughey/Ahern apologist/toady Manser's* time in public life.

* the gh is silent, as in arseghole.

tomybhoy

Website
www.greyhoundnuts.com
A man of the People.....one of the very few politicians that seems to care about what the people want.

kingofpiccadilly

Good news - hopefully that'll signal the end of that arrogant, stammering Haughey/Ahern apologist Manser's* time in public life.

* the gh is silent, as in arseghole.
:lol:

if an election were to be called Manseragh would do well to finish fourth in a three seater

borntorum

That should read:

"As a direct result of being a gom, Mattie appears to have pulled a political masterstroke."

And yet again, the peasants cheer for the sort of eejit who got us into the mess. I'm f**king off to Germany:mad:

tomybhoy

Website
www.greyhoundnuts.com
That should read:

"As a direct result of being a gom, Mattie appears to have pulled a political masterstroke."

And yet again, the peasants cheer for the sort of eejit who got us into the mess. I'm f**king off to Germany:mad:
How did Mattie contribute?

tomybhoy

Website
www.greyhoundnuts.com
That should read:

How did Mattie contribute to the mess?

Sync

He's representing his constituents wishes. It's been mentioned before, but if the people unhappy with the banking bills etc could make representations to their elected officials as well as RISE managed to, the govt may have gone a different way.

borntorum

How did Mattie contribute to the mess?
He didn't himself (I'm sure). I said 'type of eejit' who did. Irish politics is mired in parochialism, short-termism and anti-intellectualism.

Mattie is just doing his job, trying to ensure re-election and nothing more. Fair enough. Why should he be praised for this?

Sync

Mattie is just doing his job, trying to ensure re-election and nothing more. Fair enough. Why should he be praised for this?
Because this is a political website. Admiring someone who's good at playing politics isn't exactly off-topic.

'scuse me please. But what happens to the hounds who don't make it as winners?

Can I go to Germany with you Borntorum?

tomybhoy

Website
www.greyhoundnuts.com
He didn't himself (I'm sure). I said 'type of eejit' who did. Irish politics is mired in parochialism, short-termism and anti-intellectualism.

He should be supported for representing the people who elected him in the face of strong opposition within the FF party, from TD's I might add that did not represent their constituents wishes.

tomybhoy

Website
www.greyhoundnuts.com
'scuse me please. But what happens to the hounds who don't make it as winners?

Can I go to Germany with you Borntorum?
I have two outside that may not make the grade, they stay with me until they get rehomed if they cant race.

YoungLiberal

He should be supported for representing the people who elected him in the face of strong opposition within the FF party, from TD's I might add that did not represent their constituents wishes.
Is that what TDs are for? Representing constituents wishes?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Mattie McGrath attended tonights Munster Greyhound Derby Final in Clonmel where he received a standing ovation from the large attendance

i actually saw him at a funeral earlier today and he was surrounded by well-wishers there too

Why wouldn't Mattie receive a standing ovation the Greyhound Derby after standing up for people involved with the Greyhound industry...

But..

Would he receive a standing ovation at a general meeting of the South Tipperary Carers Association ?

Would he receive a standing ovation at a branch meeting of the South Tipperary INO (nurses) ?

Would he receive a standing ovation at a meeting of the South Tipperary INTO/TUI (teachers) ?

You know, and Mattie knows, that he wouldn't.

There seems to be some belief about, that every person in rural Ireland spends every minute wondering about whether we'll be allowed chase after stags on horses, or breed greyhounds, but a cursory conversation with anyone who's been made unemployed, had their wages cut, had their carers hours cut back, live in a village where the post office or Garda station was closed down, where their children are still educated in a cold prefab in Winter etc etc will tell you otherwise.

Mattie played to a crowd who made a lot of noise, but remember this, the majority of patrons at the MUNSTER greyhound derby wouldn't even have been voters in Tipp South

If Mattie knows what I know, and I'd very much doubt he doesn't, he'll know that a recent poll taken in Tipp South, on proper ballots i.e. not a party poll, but a dummy ballot paper with pictures of candidates, put him trailing in third place behind Healy and Hayes, and only slightly above Prendergast.

That's why Mattie has suddenly decided he needs to distance himself from FF rather than his old trick of marching people up the hill in Tipp before marching them down again when he had to vote in the Dáil

Sync

Is that what TDs are for? Representing constituents wishes?
In this country? Yes. The structure of the TDs, county councils and Senate lead to a disproportionate level of responsibility and power (Perceived or otherwise) lying with TDs. So too often they don't focus on items from a national perspective, they get bogged down in smaller, local affairs.

Popular Threads

Most Replies