Stanislav Petrov - the man who saved the world.

General Urko

Stanislav Petrov, a man whose basic common sense probaly saved us all died a few days ago.

There are no statues to him and his name is not well known, but on September 26, 1983, just three weeks after the Soviet military had shot down a Korean Airliner , Petrov was the duty officer at the command centre for the Oko nuclear early-warning system. The system reported that a missile had been launched from the United States, followed by up to five more. Petrov judged the reports to be a false alarm, and his decision is credited with having prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its NATO allies that could have resulted in large-scale nuclear war. Investigation later confirmed that the Soviet satellite warning system had indeed malfunctioned.

Stanislav Petrov, who averted possible nuclear war, dies at 77 - BBC News

And frighteningly computers would continue to send warhead after warhead long after every human had died!

RasherHash

Pyotr Soprunenko

Most outrageously, on General Rudenko’s insistence at the very last
meeting of the prosecuting staffs the Nuremberg indictment was amended to include
the murder in the Katyn forest of 11,000 Polish officers.

Point 3, paragraph C of the indictment would read: ‘In September 1941 eleven
thousand Polish prisoners-of-war were killed in the Katyn forest, near
Smolensk.’ The Russians were fully aware at that time – as Mikhail
Gorbachev would formally confirm on April 12, 1990 – that Stalin had
personally ordered his secret service, the N.K.V.D., to massacre altogether
fifteen thousand Polish officers and intellectuals in April 1940.

The former N.K.V.D. officer Pyotr Soprunenko, who signed the death
warrant, still lives (1996) in Moscow as an old-age pensioner.

silverharp

one would hope there would have been some questioning up the chain. the report was 3 or 4 missiles and no confirmation from radar. It wouldn't have been a realistic attack scenario by the US.

RasherHash

[video=youtube;Geu0R4xGAi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geu0R4xGAi4[/video]

rainmaker

Administrator
[video=youtube;Geu0R4xGAi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geu0R4xGAi4[/video]
What on earth do your links have to do with the topic of this thread? Are you finally losing what little of the plot you had left?

RasherHash

What on earth do your links have to do with the topic of this thread? Are you finally losing what little of the plot you had left?
Are you stalking me :confused:

Sheeple_Waker

What exactly does the IMT have to do with this thread?

rainmaker

Administrator
Are you stalking me :confused:
No. I don't know if you have noticed, but this is a public discussion forum & not your own personal blog. I simply browsed an interesting topic only to discover you defecating your off topic gibberish over it.

RasherHash

No. I don't know if you have noticed, but this is a public discussion forum & not your own personal blog. I simply browsed an interesting topic only to discover you defecating your off topic gibberish over it.
Nah, you're stalking...again tut-tut :)

rainmaker

Administrator
Nah, you're stalking...again tut-tut :)
Just checked my inbox & it appears until I questioned your off topic spamming of this thread I had replied to you twice in the last five days - I will conclude you simply have no logical rationale for your bizarre spamming & leave it at that.

General Urko

Most outrageously, on General Rudenko’s insistence at the very last
meeting of the prosecuting staffs the Nuremberg indictment was amended to include
the murder in the Katyn forest of 11,000 Polish officers.

Point 3, paragraph C of the indictment would read: ‘In September 1941 eleven
thousand Polish prisoners-of-war were killed in the Katyn forest, near
Smolensk.’ The Russians were fully aware at that time – as Mikhail
Gorbachev would formally confirm on April 12, 1990 – that Stalin had
personally ordered his secret service, the N.K.V.D., to massacre altogether
fifteen thousand Polish officers and intellectuals in April 1940.

The former N.K.V.D. officer Pyotr Soprunenko, who signed the death
warrant, still lives (1996) in Moscow as an old-age pensioner.
There were some extremely nasty folk in The Soviet Millitary as there are in The American, British and Chinese ones and even the Irish army, but thank God there was at least one came cool rational one, when badly needed on that day!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45466

Stanislav Petrov, a man whose basic common sense probaly saved us all died a few days ago.

There are no statues to him and his name is not well known, but on September 26, 1983, just three weeks after the Soviet military had shot down a Korean Airliner , Petrov was the duty officer at the command centre for the Oko nuclear early-warning system. The system reported that a missile had been launched from the United States, followed by up to five more. Petrov judged the reports to be a false alarm, and his decision is credited with having prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its NATO allies that could have resulted in large-scale nuclear war. Investigation later confirmed that the Soviet satellite warning system had indeed malfunctioned.

Stanislav Petrov, who averted possible nuclear war, dies at 77 - BBC News

And frighteningly computers would continue to send warhead after warhead long after every human had died!
RIP.

Ice cool, but I think their ovo satellite had been getting it wrong for some time prior to this; something they were all aware of.

Didn't the Colonel end up living in poverty after a dishonourable discharge from the army?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies