Stardust Tragedy

Wagmore

Jesus Christ, you'd think this country had money to burn.
If it was your kids, you'd want to know the truth. I saw that Charlie Bird doc.I hate the Birdman but doc was affecting and pretty clear Establishment at the time gave the high hat/middle finger to victims families.Wouldn't have happened so brazenly if blaze occurred south of the river

Fats_Portnoy

If it was your kids, you'd want to know the truth. I saw that Charlie Bird doc.I hate the Birdman but doc was affecting and pretty clear Establishment at the time gave the high hat/middle finger to victims families.Wouldn't have happened so brazenly if blaze occurred south of the river
Given the passage of time it is highly unlikely that anyone could find substantial new evidence and thus despite my obvious sympathy with the campaigners I would oppose a new inquiry. Even if new evidence could be found what could be done with it pragmatically.

CatullusV

Given the passage of time it is highly unlikely that anyone could find substantial new evidence and thus despite my obvious sympathy with the campaigners I would oppose a new inquiry. Even if new evidence could be found what could be done with it pragmatically.
You'd put a price on the truth? What price would that be?

What are your limits?

damus

It would bring closure for the families - alien concept.

Wagmore

If you saw documentary you'd know it's still a very live issue for victim's families.Marriages broke up, suicides and shattered lives ensued. Compensation was derisory and families make a convincing case that Official Ireland knows more than they were told.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
if your son daughter or another family member had been burned to death because they were trapped in a firetrap that had the exit doors chained shut would you let it go.I know i sure as hell wouldnt .

Degeneration X

Mitchell backs call for new Stardust inquest

"After attending a press conference, held at Buswell’s Hotel last Friday (April 13), alongside the Victims’ Committee, their legal representatives and Dublin MEP Lynn Boylan, Dublin Bay North TD Denise Mitchell (SF) said she attended the event to show her support for the call by the relatives and friends of those who died on that awful night for a fresh inquest into the fire. "

Volatire

Not everything that happens is someone's fault.

Sometimes the right thing to do is accept tragedy and move on.

Buchaill Dana

This tragedy was explicity the fault of the person who locked the fire doors shut. The question is how they were never held to account

McTell

Twitter
No
There is something very poignant about the relatives of the Stardust victims and their fight for justice.

What are we to do, lock up dozens of elderly pols and civil servants for not enforcing the fire safety regs?

Or ask the taxpayer of 2018 to pay a lot of cash to make up for the fact that nobody got paid anything for a horrible tragedy in the 1970s? There has to be a cut-off point for the rest of us.

Golden Phoenix

And sometimes the right thing to do is to question everything and everybody very thoroughly.

stray creditor

What are we to do, lock up dozens of elderly pols and civil servants for not enforcing the fire safety regs?

Or ask the taxpayer of 2018 to pay a lot of cash to make up for the fact that nobody got paid anything for a horrible tragedy in the 1970s? There has to be a cut-off point for the rest of us.
The Butterlys the owners received compensation from the city corporation for £ 580,000, a tidy sum in the early 1980s.
Despite in my view being reponsible for the deaths by having fire escapes padlocked and exits obstructed.

McTell

Twitter
No
The Butterlys the owners received compensation from the city corporation for £ 580,000, a tidy sum in the early 1980s.
Despite in my view being reponsible for the deaths by having fire escapes padlocked and exits obstructed.

So I imagine people sued, or what?

If not, why not?

Northsideman

38 Years on, still no answers and still no justice.

New Threads

Most Replies