• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Starting up and reskilling.

Mad as Fish

We have heard much about how the unemployed should either retrain or start their own business on these threads so I have two questions that I would like to pose -

1. Which skill(s) would it be most worth acquiring in a bid to find employment.

2. If I had up to 50k to start a new business then in which area of commerce would I best invest it?

Mr. Bumble

We have heard much about how the unemployed should either retrain or start their own business on these threads so I have two questions that I would like to pose -

2. If I had up to 50k to start a new business then in which area of commerce would I best invest it?
1. Learn Chinese.
2. Use the 50k to go to China.

deepblue

Learn to trade the markets, and take some money back from the ones who put us in the current mess.

stopdoingstuff

[video=youtube;1_1PJ-Qy4pA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_1PJ-Qy4pA[/video]

Pabilito

Investment Skills.. and put the money in yer arse pocket..

Maybe I’m cynical but Ireland rewards conservative people.. who take no risks and look after themselves..

Be Irish.. take no risks, put yourself first,.. jump the queue..

emulator

Just bung the fifty grand in an envelope and "donate" it to FG.... get a bit of training lashing websites together then just wait for the Government contract.

This is a tried and tested formula and should see you right.

Or.... technology is the way to go. Hardware, software or both.

It doesn't matter what industry you head for you'll need to be creative.... don't think of what's needed now, think of what'll be needed in 2,3,4,10 years from now.

sondagefaux

Project management. Many organisations run their activities as a series of projects and knowing how to organise and manage projects successfully is an extremely transferable skill.

Online retail. Very low start-up costs (you can get template websites), potentially global market, no rent, rates, premises insurance etc, etc. Find a niche product with an established market, that you can get from a reliable source, check all your competitors, online and conventional very carefully, copy what they're doing right and don't repeat their mistakes.

Spend money on SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) to make sure you get onto page 1 of google search results and stay there. Make sure the SEO is done legitimately (no 'black hat' techniques) and according to Google rules. It's not as difficult as you might think, especially for a niche product which will have niche search terms.

Get to know your product inside out, get to know your market inside out. Stick with it and make sure that you don't become complacent if you start making reasonable money. Always look for new opportunities. If you can operate successfully for a few years, you should have gained some of the key business skills and experience.

storybud1

Just bung the fifty grand in an envelope and "donate" it to FG.... get a bit of training lashing websites together then just wait for the Government contract.

This is a tried and tested formula and should see you right.

Or.... technology is the way to go. Hardware, software or both.

It doesn't matter what industry you head for you'll need to be creative.... don't think of what's needed now, think of what'll be needed in 2,3,4,10 years from now.
you could also join the labour party as an advisor even though like the labour party you haven;t a fooking clue about anything. (I would add FF, FG and the undeniable twits in the Greens and SF)

Barring that you really have to get into software or medicine.

chef35

1. politics or prostitution.

2. spin or plastic surgery, (both improve your appearance)

Mad as Fish

1. Learn Chinese.
2. Use the 50k to go to China.
An excellent idea but I rather fancy one would be better off saving the 50k for when the Chinese arrive here.

Mad as Fish

Try online retailing into the massive British Market!

Online Shopping Ireland | Online Shopping Directory

I have finance for anyone who wants a go!

Training Courses & Modules | Dublin City Enterprise Board
A couple of people have mentioned this sort of thing but my biggest problem with the idea is that the more people that get into it then the less viable it becomes. Niches are all very well and good when there are not millions of people worldwide looking for one. As it is niches either get swamped, or once discovered then others will pile in alongside or they become so tiny as to be uneconomic to exploit. It is because websites are cheap and easy to set up with shopping cart CMS's that they should be avoided because you won't be the only one doing it by any means.

Last edited:

sondagefaux

A couple of people have mentioned this sort of thing but my biggest problem with the idea is that the more people that get into it then the less viable it becomes. Niches are all very well and good when there are not millions of people worldwide looking for one. As it is niches either get swamped, or once discovered then others will pile in alongside or they become so tiny as to be uneconomic to exploit. Because websites are cheap and easy to set up with shopping cart CMS's they should be avoided because you won't be the only one doing it by any means.
It's worked for me...

Mad as Fish

Learn to trade the markets, and take some money back from the ones who put us in the current mess.

Investment Skills.. and put the money in yer arse pocket..

Maybe I’m cynical but Ireland rewards conservative people.. who take no risks and look after themselves..

Be Irish.. take no risks, put yourself first,.. jump the queue..
Playing with money is not a sure fire route to success, think Nick Gleeson, and you really are going to be have to be good to make a living out of it, but as a cynic I am attracted to Deepblues take on the situation.

wombat

If possible, work on upgrading skills you already have so that your previous experience remains relevant. If not, make sure the new skill is something you are interested in so that you will have enthusiasm when you look for work.
I have been buying stuff online and find that postage costs from UK make a lot of items too expensive. There is definitely opportunity there as postage from here is not as big an issue.

Mad as Fish

It's worked for me...
So far. I sincerely wish you all the best with it. In fact I have a nephew based in London who seems to be doing well out of some sort of voucher shopping scheme so there is potential there I have no doubt.

Mind you I'm not talking just about myself but ways in which 450,000 Irish can find themselves a route back in to work, looking to ever more divvy up the sales and marketing margin into thinner slices between an increasing number of resellers on a product is not sustainable in the long term I fear.

seismic change

Website
www.finegael.ie
Computers are the way forward, cloud computing seems to becoming more popular.

If rumors are to be believed the next generation games consoles will have 24 hour a day connection to cloud computers, so anything in that area would offer the best opportunity.

Have a read of this below and follow the link for more information.

In Budget 2013 the Fine Gael government under the leadership of Enda Kenny laid out its plans to offer SME`s further supports to asist business start ups, you can also avail of free labour from the Jobbridge scheme to assist in your start up.

The CRO has published a new guidance document to assist SMEs accessing finance from banks and dealing with the banks as a financially distressed customer.
The CRO team of reviewers is being extended so that SMEs appealing the banks’ decisions to decline credit receive a considered and timely response to their application.

Amongst the extensive range of supports to SMEs are:

MicroFinance Fund - €40million available over 5 years;

Loan Guarantee Scheme - €150million per annum over 3 years;

Enterprise Ireland – upwards of €200million in 2013

European Investment Bank , European Investment Fund (€80million through AIB) and Silicon Valley Bank partnership with the NPRF ($100million over 5 years)

The two pillar banks should meet their 2012 lending targets of €3.5billion each and have been set revised targets of €4billion each for 2013.

National Pensions Reserve Fund is developing a range of support funds, initially to range in size from €100million to €400million, to provide equity, credit and recovery investment to the SME sector except in property/real estate.
http://budget.gov.ie/budgets/2013/Documents/Budget 2013 - Presentation on SME Sector.pdf

Mad as Fish

Project management. Many organisations run their activities as a series of projects and knowing how to organise and manage projects successfully is an extremely transferable skill.

Online retail. Very low start-up costs (you can get template websites), potentially global market, no rent, rates, premises insurance etc, etc. Find a niche product with an established market, that you can get from a reliable source, check all your competitors, online and conventional very carefully, copy what they're doing right and don't repeat their mistakes.

Spend money on SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) to make sure you get onto page 1 of google search results and stay there. Make sure the SEO is done legitimately (no 'black hat' techniques) and according to Google rules. It's not as difficult as you might think, especially for a niche product which will have niche search terms.

Get to know your product inside out, get to know your market inside out. Stick with it and make sure that you don't become complacent if you start making reasonable money. Always look for new opportunities. If you can operate successfully for a few years, you should have gained some of the key business skills and experience.
Project management sounds good and it is a subject that should be at least touched upon in every business orientated degree, if it is not already, but a forty or fifty year old brickie is not going to find succour there and that is where the problem of unemployment will lie, especially as so many younger people are leaving.

I have already answered the online shopping idea which I believe to be something of a short term hope and as as for SEO then simply pay Google through one of their schemes. Been there done that and I know just what a load of BS is spoken about the presenting of your site to make it search engine friendly. If your competitor down the road is using one of their advertising plans and you are not then they will get to the top of the list whilst your are on page 94 no matter how good your SEO. Seen it happen. At the end of the day we are talking about spending money to market the products and naturally the more money spent the greater the chance of success but there will come a point where you hit the law of diminishing returns and that point will become closer and closer the more competitors that enter the market with the exact same strategy.

Last edited: