State Commemorate RIC

runwiththewind

I read that. Sure why not. The political class never gave a shyte about the Irish people so why wouldn't they commemorate those who murdered our grandparents generation and who fought to prevent our independence.

To do anything else would be so SF.

Can't have that, can we?

Christ, you really do have to wonder though.

redneck

I see Charlie Flanagan's hand behind all of this. He is the type who glorifies state sponsored terror. But will always condemn any resistance. Hope F.G are shown the door at the next election. Flanagan panders to the Alt right and Unionism. As does a lot of Irish society.
Fine Gael seem hell bent on turning the Republic into an N.I type state. Some areas are "Anglo Irish" and some areas are "Irish". All of this commemoration will just fuel Republican groups. And also the Alt right.

owedtojoy

So is this a balanced view of history, or is the state commemorating the Tans a PC step to far?

Personally this is ahistorical nonsense. They were the enemy.
I had an uncle in the IRA, and he participated in an ambush in which 2 RIC men were shot dead.

But I have no problem with commemorating RIC men. The institution was flawed, but not the men. They were mostly God-fearing, Catholic Home Rulers, maybe even voting Sinn Fein in 1918.

Incidentally, even after 1921, many locals never forgave my uncle and his comrades over the 2 RIC men. One of the dead was a young man, just married, doing his every-day crime-prevention beat, very likable and popular. He was not an "oppressor" of anyone.

So my uncle was no great hero, and the RIC men (mostly) no villains. It is a mark of national maturity to provide some recognition of that.

runwiththewind

I see Charlie Flanagan's hand behind all of this. He is the type who glorifies state sponsored terror. But will always condemn any resistance. Hope F.G are shown the door at the next election. Flanagan panders to the Alt right and Unionism. As does a lot of Irish society.
Fine Gael seem hell bent on turning the Republic into an N.I type state. Some areas are "Anglo Irish" and some areas are "Irish". All of this commemoration will just fuel Republican groups. And also the Alt right.
Flanagan is trying to be NOT like his Da.

Seriously, how can the gov commemorate the RIC whose members murdered the democratically elected mayor of Cork. A murder which escalated the violence, north and south. Just how exactly is that supposed to happen.

How can you commemorate the RIC who were involved in Bloody Sunday massacre in Croke Park?

They were involved in a huge amount of murders of their fellow Irish.

They were the eyes an ears of the crown, just as my grand uncle was.

Then again, how can the Gov commemorate the state and counter revolution that followed. The state we ended up with was not the state the IRA fought for.

It's a softening up process.

Sweet Darling

So is this a balanced view of history, or is the state commemorating the Tans a PC step to far?

Personally this is ahistorical nonsense. They were the enemy.
RIC and DMP spent most of their history raiding late night drinking dens , no bell on your bike, cow stealing etc. All Irish mothers lit a candle in their local church when their son went for the police, The money was poor but the job was secure and pensionable. Police are Police all over the world.
Looks like another Hate the Irish tread, from the usually self louting boys and gals.

Buchaill Dana

RIC and DMP spent most of their history raiding late night drinking dens , no bell on your bike, cow stealing etc. All Irish mothers lit a candle in their local church when their son went for the police, The money was poor but the job was secure and pensionable. Police are Police all over the world.
Looks like another Hate the Irish tread, from the usually self louting boys and gals.
Hate the Irish? Self louting? You are going to have to expand on that

runwiththewind

There was nothing unusual about what they did in the early 20's?
The murders of Patrick and Henry Loughnane in Galway in Nov 1920 was carried out by the RIC. They arrested them on a Friday and took them to Gort barracks where they were beaten in turn by 14 RIC men, stripped to the waist to protect their uniforms. The then tied them with rope to the back of a truck and forced the brothers to run and when they could run no more, dragged them for 11 miles along country roads. Having survived that, they were again tortured and beaten. On Sunday, they were taken to the woods and executed. Their bodies were then burned and thrown into a pond which was polluted by petrol to prevent cattle from rooting the bodies up.

Yea, nothing unusual about their behaviour, apart from the fact that they were absolute savages.

michael-mcivor

I can see the day when Fine Gael Fianna Fáil will forget to remember those that fought and died for Freedom and will just want to remember those that kept the boot on Irish necks for the Brits-

redneck

The RIC and DMP were an all white, male, mainly Protestant police and security force. That appeals to a lot of Fine Gael, especially Mr Flanagan.
(That said he can go and commemorate them as a private citizen, not as a Minister of Justice)
RIC an all white, mainly Protestant force- a bit like the old RUC. I am white by the way.

redneck

Mr Flanagan can go as a private citizen, I have no problems with that. But as Minister for Justice does he really want to commemorate an all white male, mainly Protestant security force?

Politics matters

The RIC and DMP were an all white, male, mainly Protestant police and security force. That appeals to a lot of Fine Gael, especially Mr Flanagan.
(That said he can go and commemorate them as a private citizen, not as a Minister of Justice)
RIC an all white, mainly Protestant force- a bit like the old RUC. I am white by the way.
Well, of course, it was an 'all-white' police force. How many non-whites were in Ireland a century ago?

redneck

Point being made is British empire was a fairly racist one. It was built on the superiorty of the white anglo saxon protestant male.
For example, the empire shipped 6 million Africans as slaves to America.
It enslaved millions of Indians under the Raj.
It had penal laws against Irish Gaelic people too for centuries.
The Scottish highlands were cleared out too.
So is commemorating RIC commemorating all of the above too?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies