• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

NMunsterman

Last edited:
Last edited:
I would suggest that the Glasnevin wall is fairly controversial. The one with Irish freedom fighters and UK crown forces on it. But I will try and think of it as a "British Irish" friendship monument.

Indeed, I would add that given the inevitability of the Reunited Ireland it is additionally a signal to Unionists and moreover I would suggest that in the Reunited Ireland one possibility is that we could have a National Reconciliation day for all those killed in conflict in Ireland.

Commemoration of those who laid down their lives in the struggle for Irish independence would continue as is today in a separate Commemoration as this is central to the independence we enjoy today in an independent Irish state and will continue to be so in the Reunited Ireland

redneck

Apologies to Fine Gael voters, they are not the Black and Tans, they have done an ok job for the Irish people. It was truly a great achievement to get the seat at the UN security council. And the Brexit issue has been handled well enough also. Slán

AhNowStop

Imagine the loopers within FG and on this very forum who wanted the Irish state to commemorate the RIC (et al) .. what are you people on ?

The brothers, from Shanaglish, Co Galway, were picked up by a mixed force of Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) and Auxiliaries.

They were first interrogated in Gort RIC barracks, then tied to the tailgate of a lorry and dragged to Drumharsna Castle near Ardrahan where they were eventually killed.

Their bodies were taken to a spot near where they were killed and burned

Evidently the brothers had been savagely beaten and tortured. Two of Harry’s fingers were cut off. Patrick’s legs and wrists were broken. Both their skulls were so fractured that a doctor speculated that hand grenades were blown up in their mouths.

image.jpg

Antóin Mac Comháin

Indeed, I would add that given the inevitability of the Reunited Ireland it is additionally a signal to Unionists and moreover I would suggest that in the Reunited Ireland one possibility is that we could have a National Reconciliation day for all those killed in conflict in Ireland.

Commemoration of those who laid down their lives in the struggle for Irish independence would continue as is today in a separate Commemoration as this is central to the independence we enjoy today in an independent Irish state and will continue to be so in the Reunited Ireland
"Sunday, August 31st, was a day of bloody and prolonged terrorism, commencing with the batoning of thousands in O’Connell Street by the members or the Dublin Metropolitan Police, assisted by hundreds of R.I.C. men specially imported into the city and made drunk for the brutal campaign. But the workers fought back, with stones, bottles, hurleys and their bare fists, and on the Inchicore tram line so fierce was the battle that soldiers of the West Kent Regiment were finally called out.

In the three days from the 30th August to the 1st September no less than thirty battles took place between the workers and the police. It was out of these battles and turmoil that the Irish Citizen Army was born, when workers carrying hurleys marched alongside their bands and processions or stood round their meetings as protection against the vicious police attacks."

James Nolan, John Byrne, Alice Brady, Michael Byrne, and Patsy O'Connor were the first civilians to be killed, on the first Bloody Sunday. O'Connor was a member of Na Fianna Éireann. The others were Trade Unionists. The first Republican killed in the North in 1969 was also an unarmed member of Na Fianna Éireann. Remember them as they were, and nothing besides.

omgsquared

John Bruton said it was a misunderstanding. It did not happen in Co Meath and we must all look at the totality of our independent but intertwined relationship Or some such Crap.. I think Mary Robinson said something similar but she mentioned something about Mna na h. Eireann . Leo said where is Gort ?🤦‍♂️

toughbutfair

Apologies to Fine Gael voters, they are not the Black and Tans, they have done an ok job for the Irish people. It was truly a great achievement to get the seat at the UN security council. And the Brexit issue has been handled well enough also. Slán
I agree with some of this and voted for FG in the past. However, I was disgusted by their RIC attitude and won't vote for them while the Varadker generation are around. Disgusting, they basically urinated on the Irish people who struggled under British oppression.

shiel

I have been giving out about the Brexiteers tearing up the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement since it drew a line under eight centuries of colonial rule.

Does not the same apply to Irish nationalism forgetting that the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement was an treaty of reconciliation.

Is stirring up trouble about the RIC/Black and Tan issue not contrary to the spirit of reconciliation of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement?

McTell

I agree with some of this and voted for FG in the past. However, I was disgusted by their RIC attitude and won't vote for them while the Varadker generation are around. Disgusting, they basically urinated on the Irish people who struggled under British oppression.

Then we struggled under our own oppressions for 50 years FFS. Like the forced farm sales in the 1930s, every bit as bad as the RIC on a bad day.

When one raid was debated in the seanad, all the FF senators stayed away.

Never mind the laundries and that whole saga.

Angler

Imagine the loopers within FG and on this very forum who wanted the Irish state to commemorate the RIC (et al) .. what are you people on ?

The brothers, from Shanaglish, Co Galway, were picked up by a mixed force of Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) and Auxiliaries.

They were first interrogated in Gort RIC barracks, then tied to the tailgate of a lorry and dragged to Drumharsna Castle near Ardrahan where they were eventually killed.

Their bodies were taken to a spot near where they were killed and burned

Evidently the brothers had been savagely beaten and tortured. Two of Harry’s fingers were cut off. Patrick’s legs and wrists were broken. Both their skulls were so fractured that a doctor speculated that hand grenades were blown up in their mouths.

image.jpg
Then there was the murder of Mrs Quinn by the Garrison scum, a pregnant woman with an infant in her arms sitting on her lawn , some of their descendants are sporting Poppies in recent years in the area , dirt .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom