State must release land to end Housing Shortage

Franzoni

Within a couple of miles of here I can think of at least five houses that have been for sale for at least two or three years.

There's no housing shortage around these parts so perhaps we ought to revisit the idea that Dublin is the only place in Ireland.

That should be a clue in itself....

We all have to accept that we are in a different place now....what we need to do is try and figure out the best way forward for all...

At the moment all that's on offer is to re-run 1997-2008 with the same dangerous braindead idea's and now throwing high rise into the mix and give the whole shebang a steroid injection to help it along....

PlanetBertie

Will someone really clever please explain to me how anyone on benefits or on or just above the minimum wage can possibly afford to buy a home?

Niall996

Will someone really clever please explain to me how anyone on benefits or on or just above the minimum wage can possibly afford to buy a home?
Tens of thousands of people on welfare are living in homes essentially handed to them, and which de facto belong to them for life. That's the system in Ireland. The workers pay for their own house and the houses of others who prefer not to work. So no one loses out. It maintains law an order, social cohesion etc.

JCR

No, dont give any land for free. Just stop hoarding and sell it so homes can be built on it.
I didn't read anything about the builders having to buy the land. I read "releasing" the land in some kind of partnership. That to me means the state provides the land and the builders use it. I'd have no problem if the state sold land but not to the same people who were involved in bankrupting the country.

Mad as Fish

Tens of thousands of people on welfare are living in homes essentially handed to them, and which de facto belong to them for life. That's the system in Ireland. The workers pay for their own house and the houses of others who prefer not to work. So no one loses out. It maintains law an order, social cohesion etc.
Terrible isn't it, there are just not enough homeless living on the streets with families reared in cardboard boxes to properly call Ireland a third world country, but I'm sure FF/FG are working together to ensure we will arrive there just as soon as they can make it happen.

Mad as Fish

Desperate times alright, house prices have only gone up 3% in the last quarter!

The figures in this latest Daft.ie Report show the continuing ill-health in Ireland's housing market. Prices rose almost 3% between June and September, a rise that was only slightly smaller in Dublin (2.7%) than elsewhere (3.0%). It means that the year-on-year rate of inflation increased again, from a low of 6.1% in Q1 2016 to 7.6% in the third quarter.

https://www.daft.ie/report/ronan-lyons-2016q3-houseprice

hammer

Well the hope is that they dont remain on benefits or minimum wage forever.

Most houses are bought by couples also.

APettigrew92

The Government have just announced they intend to bring in another 37,000 people in over the next four years

- while the State faces a massive shortage of accommodation for its own Citizens!

It aims to attract an additional 37,000 international students over the next four years, bringing the total number to 176,000.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1007/822073-international-students-ireland/

The reason we have a massive shortage is the complete absence of planning and co ordination at Government level

- and an open door Mass Immigration policy

The first step is control the numbers coming in

- and prioritising the housing needs of Irish Citizens FIRST
Well, get out the tinfoil hats, ladies and gentlemen. Here we go.

UCD, Trinity and all those "reputable" English-language schools make an absolute killing off of foreign students.
In fact UCD recently dissolved its assistance to EEA students with regards to accommodation. They're essentially no longer top priority - UCD gets €7,500 for every student residence flat and up to €20,000 per annum from those non-EAA students.

Universities are now businesses. The Government et al. have taken an axe to education. Why? They see the future of the next generation as collateral damage. There is a two-up,two-down house in my area currently being leased out for €2,000 to four poor lads from the countryside. The owner is a Green Party wannabe-politician who espouses "equitable accommodation for all" and there he is charging €2,000 so that lads have the honour of doubling up in a room.

It's all political. The Government threw the Anglo debt onto the shoulders of the new generation. They also threw the speculative housing debt onto their shoulders too. That Green Party eejit is paying off his Tiger Debt. Profiteering is allowed run rampant as it separates the hard-working classes from their cash and returns it to the landlords. What's a few thousand more homeless when rents are above 2006 levels?

How can anyone stick by any of the three main parties when they're all in on this?

Developer - euphemism for parasite.

Is there a shortage of housing stock or is it that what stock there is isn't used efficiently.
It's the age-old question of "what is poverty." It is not a lack of resources, it is a lack of access to those resources.

As long as the Government allows the private sector, with their flawless humanitarian/egalitarian credentials, to control something as fundamental as housing, then you welcome this atmosphere.

The Government points at them, they point back, they both shrug and lodge their paychecks in the same bank at the end of the month.

Mad as Fish

Dedogs

It's amazing how many people in this country with fuk all life experience think they have all the answers.........
mate i never said i had all the answers to anything alls im sayin is high rise flats are no good for families..... theres a lad i work for up and down clearin out flats after he gets ************************s out of them and youd want to see the cut of them sometimes.... some people are pure utter animals shouldnt be let live in a shed never mind a flat only once theyre in theres no gettin them out for a couple of years in this country.... i wouldnt live in a flat if you paid me....

Dedogs

Within a couple of miles of here I can think of at least five houses that have been for sale for at least two or three years.

There's no housing shortage around these parts so perhaps we ought to revisit the idea that Dublin is the only place in Ireland.
100 % mate..... mebbe the government should be startin jobs outside dublin and not shuttin hospitals and post offices and stuff..... spread around the work and youll spread around where lads live as well.....

im axeled

The Government have just announced they intend to bring in another 37,000 people in over the next four years

- while the State faces a massive shortage of accommodation for its own Citizens!

It aims to attract an additional 37,000 international students over the next four years, bringing the total number to 176,000.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1007/822073-international-students-ireland/

The reason we have a massive shortage is the complete absence of planning and co ordination at Government level

- and an open door Mass Immigration policy

The first step is control the numbers coming in

- and prioritising the housing needs of Irish Citizens FIRST
on the other hand ireland is the last choice for migrants, they prefer anywhere else

im axeled

It's been just pointed out that the State is basically holding the key to resolving the housing shortage. According to developer Sean Mulryan the State is hoarding enormous portions of land which (if released) could quickly sort out our housing shortage crisis.

State must release land to end housing shortage - Independent.ie

Some serious questions should be asked about the government's policies in the light of the housing shortage crisis. Why is the government trying to implement some sub-standard measures like grants for FTB's or rent controls, while having a life-changer tool in hand and refusing to use it.

The question should be asked: do we really want to help families and sort the housing shortage problem once and for all, or do we keep implementing all the counter-productive measures (costing taxpayer millions) while keeping home ownership a sole domain of rich.
who has mulryan in mind, its not the folk who need houses

im axeled

mate i never said i had all the answers to anything alls im sayin is high rise flats are no good for families..... theres a lad i work for up and down clearin out flats after he gets ************************s out of them and youd want to see the cut of them sometimes.... some people are pure utter animals shouldnt be let live in a shed never mind a flat only once theyre in theres no gettin them out for a couple of years in this country.... i wouldnt live in a flat if you paid me....
on the other hand you have people wanting close down the country side and have everyone lifing in towns and citys, me, ide go on the shackarawn first

Dedogs

on the other hand you have people wanting close down the country side and have everyone lifing in towns and citys, me, ide go on the shackarawn first
true that.... its nearly gone that youd sooner say your a rapist than you live out the country....

im axeled

whats your answer to the tens of thousands who have homes handed to then, they pay rent etc, there are very few who do not want to work, many of them have houses and lifestyles the average worker can only dream of, it this section of society who should have their goverment funded basic needs taken from them

Equinox

If other countries reciprocate, problem worsened.
Somehow I'm not that worried about the Nigerian and Pakistani governments tossing out any Paddy's loafing off the social in Lagos and Lahore..... There is certiantly no reason anybody from those nations should be doing so here.

Mad as Fish

100 % mate..... mebbe the government should be startin jobs outside dublin and not shuttin hospitals and post offices and stuff..... spread around the work and youll spread around where lads live as well.....
That's just what should happen but there are a few around here who think that Ireland outside of the M50 should be closed down except for peasants and bar staff although they have modified their tune somewhat of late and might allow places like Cork and Galway to continue in existence.

PBP voter

[video=youtube;ICuG-mNoxF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICuG-mNoxF4[/video]

Does anything ever change in this kip of a country?

Seriously? :confused:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies