• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

State of the Defence Forces

Sweet Darling

Read an Irish history book, you ignorant troll.
The libeary service have wiped clean all monies due on books not yet returned.
"On the runs" like yourself can now return that 1930s history book you rely on so much, without the free state forces interning you.

Sweet Darling

Anyone? Anyone at all???

What authority did the renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) that are now called the Defence Forces, have to attack the 32 county Irish Republic on June 28th 1922 - four days after the 'Pact' election votes were counted on June 24th - and suppress the real 32 county Dail Eireann two days before it was scheduled to meet to discuss the results of the 'Pact' election and dissolve on June 30th, and to form the new (3rd) 32 county Dail Eireann on July 1st. at 12 PM?
Jaausss, he's off again.

former wesleyan

Wishful and stupid thinking from an Unionist troll.

A hard border will speed up the break up of the UK.

A hard border in Ireland with checkpoints, when there will be a voting majority of Nationalists in the 6 counties in about 36 months, coupled with a desire to be in the EU - manna from heaven for Patriotic Irish people north and south of the artificial partition line that divides our country.
What's voting got to do with it ? How many borders were drawn/ re- drawn by voting ?

RasherHash

omgsquared

Re Deployment to Mali.
Young men join armies for various reasons . One being a bit of adventure and doing something a little different than delivering post, sitting in front of acomputer or being on the Luas every evening..
Soldiers will also always complain and the best way to keep them happy is to keep them busy, so send off some to Mali, make sure they sign all of the bits and pieces so as there are no grounds in later years for compo claims, train and equip them well, let them gain experience that they can teach at home and invest in the DF

Talk Back

Hard to take the "Defence Forces" (there's an oxymoron if ever there was one) seriously.

Does anyone know of any other army whose country is occupied by a foreign army, and they do nothing about it???

clusterbucked

Why is there an Irish Army?

Only one reason for the Irish Army to exist and that is for the government to use against its own people to protect capital or the "state".

clusterbucked

Agreed, the Irish army is not there however to protect the Irish people. The benign environment enjoyed by Ireland as a small EU dependency makes the Irish Army a ceremonial decoration - which is what it is resources to be.

That being said if there was ever serious unrest here the Irish Army would be used against its own people to protect the interests of capital.

Dame_Enda

Agreed, the Irish army is not there however to protect the Irish people. The benign environment enjoyed by Ireland as a small EU dependency makes the Irish Army a ceremonial decoration - which is what it is resources to be.

That being said if there was ever serious unrest here the Irish Army would be used against its own people to protect the interests of capital.
I would remind you of the role the ERU played in Abbeylara and the role Army Bomb Disposal plays in defusing bombs. We do need an armed forces of some kind.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Bomb Disposal would be one of those areas we should avoid privatising alright, I'd suggest.

Lowest bidder wins is probably not a great idea in that kind of job. Unless it is Denis O'Brien of course or one of his subsidiaries, of course. Denis, as we all know, can expensively do anything.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'm a bit puzzled by our Defence Forces configuration when measured against risk.

Navy is obvious as having multiple roles as is Air Corps as they can shift priority depending on what's going on, air sea rescue, for instance, getting VIPs from the heart of government to open the new shop in the home parish and so forth. Garda helicopters could be considered as part of state air capability.

No offence intended in any way to serving or former members of the DF but I'd be appalled if there was any suggestion of sending them into a stand-up fight matched against the resources of many of our European neighbours.

Our history is an interesting one in guerilla warfare which is the only sane approach for us. Let the technology and armour and so on roll over and only then begin to get the horse to buck with urban and rural guerilla warfare using natural advantages.

I honestly think anyone suggesting the DF get into a battle scenario, no matter how courageously, would need to have their head examined on grounds of a murderous waste of national resource alone.

If the world turned upside down and I found myself in the role of organising defence for the state I'd keep a certain amount of uniforms for ceremonial and national occasions but I would be putting what resource I had into a quiet plan to facilitate the plan to destabilise any attempt at foreign government.

The Swiss famously have landmines under the roadways through the mountain passes (or did until relatively recently).

I'd definitely be looking to the Afghans, Vietnamese and other less technologically resourced almost by definition centuries behind other modern warfare and weaponry.

I'd have hundreds of the Defence Forces (army) prepared to fade away into civilian life rather than hurling themselves at cruise missiles or whatever. Paper trail system to verify their covers in place as part of the plan.

They would then be the trained cadre ready to lead in forming groups among civilians and we'd be in somewhat familiar territory and fighting on our own ground, on our own terms and lean in terms of matching capability to resource. Hidden arms dumps, pre-prepared low tech communication plans and network in place...

To do anything else would be savagely nuts I think.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
While there have been notable Irish contributions to the most famous of choreographed stand up battles such as Waterloo and Trafalgar, there have been hints that perhaps strategically we've not done well out of lending the nation's young to Generals in other countries to fight their wars. Ridiculously there have been battles in the relatively modern era where Irishmen have pitched against each other in foreign brigades.

One glaring lesson staring at us straight in the face from our history from Cromwell to independence is that we are very good at guerilla warfare. Uniforms, perhaps, don't suit us as much and have always tended to be too brightly coloured for battlefield comfort.

Remember. Today's terrorist could well be tomorrow's national hero :)

clusterbucked

I would remind you of the role the ERU played in Abbeylara and the role Army Bomb Disposal plays in defusing bombs. We do need an armed forces of some kind.
We need the bare minimum however it's possible we'll have to increase our defense commitments if told to sign up to an EU army.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Gloomy moment there when I think of the history of the losses of Irishmen (in the main) down the centuries in wars on the continent.

Even shooting at each other under different standards, most terribly.

Neither King nor Kaiser still has a somewhat decent ring to it as a sentiment.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
In terms of any EU led influence over our Defence Forces and commitments I think we should be careful and have our eyes wide open on any developments there.

Open ended funding commitments to a European military capability would have to be watched very carefully.

Ireland tooling up militarily in an effort to match the capability of many of our European neighbours is not really feasible economically or technically at the moment so that shouldn't be a strategic target or aim, either independently or disproportionately through a NATO or EU funding commitment.

Standing well back and analysing as coldly as I can we as a nation are no-one's particular enemies. We occupy a strategic position on the western approach and Atlantic coastline of Europe. So we do have things defensively to consider.

We aren't far off Costa Rican status as a country which abolished its army back decades ago and is actually the host for talks between Central American nations in dispute because the Costa Ricans have made it clear they have no territorial ambitions beyond their own borders to everyone for a long time.

Something in that approach for us, mindful of small but effective defensive strategies which are cost effective and play to our strengths.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies