State of the Union Address 2019

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Interesting to watch, though. Based, I agree, on the notion that if you shout loudly about your belief in the world being a certain way then you can bend reality so that the world actually becomes that way.

Came across this notion in a minor way when working in the States. Someone on the office I was in remarked that you 'have to market yourself three hours a day, honey'.

By which the implication was that you need to tell white lies about yourself so that you appear successful which will mean that success will naturally follow and accrue to you.

Which is all very well if you have three hours a day to spare fluffing your CV but the reality is that your employer will become annoyed if you are concentrating a morning every day to self-marketing rather than doing the job he or she is paying you to do. So it can go wrong.

Some other things about the US and the gap between fiction and reality. Back in 2006 something like 4 million American women were reporting 'unspecified back pain' to their doctors in order to access prescription painkillers. One of the taxi drivers I used was exasperated at some women sitting in her car with a green traffic light showing. He had to beep the horn at her to get her to wake up.

He referred to them as 'Percodan Princesses'. Said he came across it in his job all the time. Half zonked drivers, predominantly female, driving around on tranquillisers.

Since then there has been the whole oxycontin thing, an epidemic of prescribed drug abuse which is so serious it has actually begun to affect the population numbers in the US.

The whole thing of having the American Dream, or not being able to attain it no matter what you do or how hard you work, is causing a self-medication epidemic in the US.

Easier to treat the status anxiety than it is to be wealthy and successful according to American measures of those things. The politics of the US seems to be the same way. Trumpism, the yah-boo sucks form of populism, is the current oxycontin for the MAGA heads. It also allows them, I notice, to blame others for the noticeable scarcity of the American Dream life in America these days.

And that is alluringly addictive. Soon as Trump is elected life president and expels all the people who are holding back the American Dream then the American Dream will come back.

MAGA.

Herr Rommel

Interesting to watch, though. Based, I agree, on the notion that if you shout loudly about your belief in the world being a certain way then you can bend reality so that the world actually becomes that way.

Came across this notion in a minor way when working in the States. Someone on the office I was in remarked that you 'have to market yourself three hours a day, honey'.

By which the implication was that you need to tell white lies about yourself so that you appear successful which will mean that success will naturally follow and accrue to you.

Which is all very well if you have three hours a day to spare fluffing your CV but the reality is that your employer will become annoyed if you are concentrating a morning every day to self-marketing rather than doing the job he or she is paying you to do. So it can go wrong.

Some other things about the US and the gap between fiction and reality. Back in 2006 something like 4 million American women were reporting 'unspecified back pain' to their doctors in order to access prescription painkillers. One of the taxi drivers I used was exasperated at some women sitting in her car with a green traffic light showing. He had to beep the horn at her to get her to wake up.

He referred to them as 'Percodan Princesses'. Said he came across it in his job all the time. Half zonked drivers, predominantly female, driving around on tranquillisers.

Since then there has been the whole oxycontin thing, an epidemic of prescribed drug abuse which is so serious it has actually begun to affect the population numbers in the US.

The whole thing of having the American Dream, or not being able to attain it no matter what you do or how hard you work, is causing a self-medication epidemic in the US.

Easier to treat the status anxiety than it is to be wealthy and successful according to American measures of those things. The politics of the US seems to be the same way. Trumpism, the yah-boo sucks form of populism, is the current oxycontin for the MAGA heads. It also allows them, I notice, to blame others for the noticeable scarcity of the American Dream life in America these days.

And that is alluringly addictive. Soon as Trump is elected life president and expels all the people who are holding back the American Dream then the American Dream will come back.

MAGA.
Cool story bro.

President Bartlet

The poor orange moron snowflake is now claiming presidential harassment - he really can't take criticism and oversight - big baby - get out of the kitchen Dodgy Donnie if you can't stand the heat - such an a$$hole!

livingstone

Did you read my post ? I said low information voters , people are desperate and will vote for someone who tells them they'll make it alright , there not very intelligent people .
They're, not there. And punctuation marks do not need spaces before them.

But yes, tell us more about the low information, unintelligent tens of millions who vote against the Trump/GOP immigration approach.

Clanrickard

I do wonder about how on earth we set about re-integrating these loons back into reality, post-Trump.

There's a hefty chunk of the populace in some major countries now that have been conditioned to actively reject reality, facts, evidence, and science in favour of aggrieved feels and paranoid conspiracy theories.

It can't end well.

The OD

Internet hard man of the site who is probably all of of nine stone in weight when soaking wet.
You ever met anyone off this site in real life? Ever go to any of the meet ups in the good old days? Probably not I would imagine.

I'd say crowds and adults are not your thing.

The poor orange moron snowflake is now claiming presidential harassment - he really can't take criticism and oversight - big baby - get out of the kitchen Dodgy Donnie if you can't stand the heat - such an a$$hole!
He's a sad shadow of a man at this stage. Surrounded by idiots because anyone with any sort of ability has either resigned, been arrested or was 'asked to resign' and a certifiable nut case in the form of his VP. Shouty drunk Kavanaugh is one of his SCOTUS appointment and his daughter acts as his first lady, in more ways than one I would imagine.

He is seriously running out of people to such an extent I am wondering if the shut down is actually cover for him trying to eithe retain or hire more staff because nobody wants to work with the biggest embarrassment the US has come out with, aside from the 'Howard The Duck' movie. And even the puppets hair was more real than Trumps barnet.

flavirostris

Steve King of Iowa had an amazing tweet about the SOTU speech, basically taking the piss out of the NPCs on the Democrat side

Dame_Enda

Turns out Trump was right about the border fence in El Paso, Texas. CNN claimed Trump wrongly said crime dropped when it was built. In fact, Jesse Waters on Fox's Waters World just showed statistics that crime fell 20% after the fence was built. CNN is being misleading by starting the clock from when the fence was authorised, rather than from when it was built.

Herr Rommel

You ever met anyone off this site in real life? Ever go to any of the meet ups in the good old days? Probably not I would imagine.

I'd say crowds and adults are not your thing.

He's a sad shadow of a man at this stage. Surrounded by idiots because anyone with any sort of ability has either resigned, been arrested or was 'asked to resign' and a certifiable nut case in the form of his VP. Shouty drunk Kavanaugh is one of his SCOTUS appointment and his daughter acts as his first lady, in more ways than one I would imagine.

He is seriously running out of people to such an extent I am wondering if the shut down is actually cover for him trying to eithe retain or hire more staff because nobody wants to work with the biggest embarrassment the US has come out with, aside from the 'Howard The Duck' movie. And even the puppets hair was more real than Trumps barnet.
Drinking with random people on the internet isn't my thing. I have real friends for that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies