• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

State should be employer of last resort?

jmcc

A rather odd proposal that the government should become the employer of last resort from Begg.

State may need to become 'employer of last resort' - ICTU chief - RT News

"However he said that ultimately, the State must be willing to contemplate being an employer of last resort through local authorities or social employment."

Building roads to nowhere just like during The Famine? There is an obscenity in people like Begg, a former board member of the Central Bank if I recall correctly, living off the fat of the land while ordinary people struggle to survive.

Regards...jmcc

emulator

A rather odd proposal that the government should become the employer of last resort from Begg.

"However he said that ultimately, the State must be willing to contemplate being an employer of last resort through local authorities or social employment."

Building roads to nowhere just like during The Famine? There is an obscenity in people like Begg, a former board member of the Central Bank if I recall correctly, living off the fat of the land while ordinary people struggle to survive.

Regards...jmcc
The unions are loosing relevance by the day. If they want to have some chance of survival, they need to have a clear out at the top. Much like their Parliamentary Party.

jmcc

The unions are loosing relevance by the day.
They are no longer relevant.

If they want to have some chance of survival, they need to have a clear out at the top. Much like their Parliamentary Party.
Ahern was quite clever in the way he subverted them.

Regards...jmcc

Ribeye

I walked into the Gresham one day and and there was Begg sitting at a table,

He must have noticed the look of disgust on my face when I saw him, coz he quickly turned away,

I've seen that little sh1t O'Connor a few times too, he's always around O'Connell street for some reason, another horrible individual,

I saw him one day walking up to an ATM, smirking and laughing to himself,

Must have been payday or something, and he was laughing at all the fools who contribute to his massive salary:)

Con Gallagher

There are plenty of social employment schemes which could be employed to the benefit if all eg demolition of derelict properties in urban areas or removal of indigenous invasive plant species from rural Ireland.

If you think that is mad, consider that the State interferes with private employment by taxing it heavily, making it subject to red tape, sets a minimum wage, makes it difficult and expensive to sack incompetent employees and robs their private pension funds to pay for a scheme which displaces potentially permanent employment.

carlovian

Regards...jmcc
As far as I know, begg is still a central bank director, since 1995 apparently.

Lucky for us to have such a well qualified financial expert to warn us and others of a impending banking crises.

carruthers

This state couldn't run a bath. We pay handsomely already for services we don't get. Wouldn't trust them to do squat. I'd imagine Begg has an angle, ie the State will give the 9bn to him and his cronies to manage. Sorry David, you'll find that tool supping a pint in Drumcondra.

davoid

Regards...jmcc
It is not alone mad - it has been tried, and failed. Cant remember who said insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting a different result.

In 1977 FF pursued precisely this policy and added 30,000 extra people to the then much smaller public service. It was their solution to the unemployment problem.

Result? Bankruptcy within 3 years?

Why? Because sustainable jobs can only come from real commerce.

To pretend that the unemployment crisis can be solved by increasing state employment is like a struggling shopkeeper thinking he can improve his turnover by borrowing money and buying his own stock with that money.

davoid

As far as I know, begg is still a central bank director, since 1995 apparently.

Lucky for us to have such a well qualified financial expert to warn us and others of a impending banking crises.
Indeed. And his track record of stewardship of oversight on banking activities renders him uniquely appropriate to suggest other disastrous schemes.

feargach

Regards...jmcc
But why do you want us to mash babies to death using mallets then dance around their graves singing hallelujah?

What's that you say? You never said any such thing? Just like Begg never suggested any roads to nowhere.

jmcc

Why? Because sustainable jobs can only come from real commerce.
That seems to be something that Begg and the school teachers in government don't understand. The way that the self-employed are treated in Ireland is vastly different to the way that Begg and those like him are treated.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

But why do you want us to mash babies to death using mallets then dance around their graves singing hallelujah?
Your sick fantasies are your own concern.

Just like Begg never suggested any roads to nowhere.
Obviously you don't know much about history. A quango job awaits you, no doubt.

Regards...jmcc

stakerwallace

I walked into the Gresham one day and and there was Begg sitting at a table,

He must have noticed the look of disgust on my face when I saw him, coz he quickly turned away,

I've seen that little sh1t O'Connor a few times too, he's always around O'Connell street for some reason, another horrible individual,

I saw him one day walking up to an ATM, smirking and laughing to himself,

Must have been payday or something, and he was laughing at all the fools who contribute to his massive salary:)
Are you a stalker?

stakerwallace

The unions are loosing relevance by the day. If they want to have some chance of survival, they need to have a clear out at the top. Much like their Parliamentary Party.
I always found and still find my union very relevant to my concerns and those of my colleagues.

Ribeye

SPN

Because sustainable jobs can only come from real commerce.
There is plenty of work to be done, but there is no money to pay people for doing the work.

Or, rather, there is plenty of money - as much as there was in 2001 - but it is divided out unfairly between the insiders (Enda Kenny on €200k a year) and the outsiders (you, me, and every other taxpayer).

To pretend that the unemployment crisis can be solved by increasing state employment is like a struggling shopkeeper thinking he can improve his turnover by borrowing money and buying his own stock with that money.
Meanwhile all the politicians and Trades Union beards want to go back to the employment levels we had in 2007, when a full 25% of economic activity, and 250,000+ jobs depended on borrowing money to buy and sell property to each other.

The day of borrowing money is over. The banks are deleveraging.

From now on it will be earned money or no money.