State spent over 1.7m Euro maintaining on one vacant office building!!

Newsy

MORE than €1.7m has been spent maintaining a vacant office building, that was abandoned by one of the country's largest state agencies, in a prime area of Dublin.

The Enterprise Ireland offices in Glasnevin have been lying unused since April 2008 when the organisation moved to an alternative location in Dublin.

The Department of Enterprise said that the site was owned by Enterprise Ireland but that costs of at least €860,000 were being accrued annually.

The cost of maintaining the site includes local authority rates of €620,000, security costs of €240,000, electricity and gas bills of €120,000 and general maintenance costs of €20,000.
State spent over ?1.7m maintaining one vacant office building

How many beds could be had for 1.7m Euros........schools.........SNA's????

With services being slashed in parts of the HSE, this money could go a long way.

Such waste, as described above, is a disgrace.

jpc

Has anyone else heard of similar examples of this mispractice out there?

olamp

How many beds could be had for 1.7m Euros........schools.........SNA's????

With services being slashed in parts of the HSE, this money could go a long way.

Such waste, as described above, is a disgrace.
How are we all putting up with this wanton waste? What are we doing sitting on our collective asses and tolerating this total waste of our money? We just have to get rid of this useless shower of wasters-please ,there must be someone out there who can do something -I can`t --I am just an old grannie who can`t believe that the men of this country are such WIMPS! Do something for god`s sake.

grafter1

Surely they're entitled to claim a rebate of the 620k rates as the building is vacant? All they've to ensure is they have a To Let/For Sale sign on the bloody thing.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
How are we all putting up with this wanton waste? What are we doing sitting on our collective asses and tolerating this total waste of our money? We just have to get rid of this useless shower of wasters-please ,there must be someone out there who can do something -I can`t --I am just an old grannie who can`t believe that the men of this country are such WIMPS! Do something for god`s sake.
It'd be a hell of a question for SF or Labour to put down a question in the Dáil asking how much the State is paying for rents on buildings, whose contracts were signed in the expectation of de-centralisation

jpc

It'd be a hell of a question for SF or Labour to put down a question in the Dáil asking how much the State is paying for rents on buildings, whose contracts were signed in the expectation of de-centralisation
Now that would be an interesting question to ask.
Pity the hols are on the way.

Newsy

The government pays more than €122m every year to property developers, private individuals and other companies for rental of offices. Among the biggest beneficiaries of the lease agreements – many of which run for up to 35 years and cannot be renegotiated – are developers Liam Carroll, Bernard McNamara and Jerry O'Reilly.

Newsy

Has anyone else heard of similar examples of this mispractice out there?
That is a really interesting question.

jpc

Good one.
Never noticed it.
Hiding in plain sight is the term I believe.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Majority of money being just transferred to other organs of the state.
And your point is ?

Which security company is the 240,000 grand being paid to ?

How in the name of Jesus is an empty building running up a leccy and gas bill of 120,000 a year ?

What maintenance costs 20,000 if the building is empty ?

jpc

And your point is ?

Which security company is the 240,000 grand being paid to ?

How in the name of Jesus is an empty building running up a leccy and gas bill of 120,000 a year ?

What maintenance costs 20,000 if the building is empty ?
People are wondering wtf are the 24% who vote FF whatever the state of the nation.
The answer to those kind of questions might hypothecially be answered.

hammer

Electricity probably to keep the security guards warm.

I will send in a quote tomorrow for the security. €160,000 per annum :)

olamp

The state is still paying rental fees for storage of our electronic voting machines-many of them on 25 year contracts!! I just cannot believe that there are supposed IRISH men out there who are tolerating this kind of abuse of the tax payer `s money -Oh my god I DO WISH THAT i was younger and more influential -It is so sad to have no voice and have to rely on people like the posters here who seem to be all talk and NO action.Very depressing-your forefathers would be ashamed of the lot of you.

Newsy

Newsy

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Electricity probably to keep the security guards warm.

I will send in a quote tomorrow for the security. €160,000 per annum :)
I'll do it for 150,000 year, and bring me own coat, which will cut down on the electricity

Newsy

Yet again, another one......

The IDA, chaired by former CRH boss Liam O' Mahony, has spent up to €1.6m in the past year on rent for empty buildings across the country, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has revealed in its probe into waste across the public sector.

The IDA rents 74 buildings in Ireland. It is locked in to leases of up to 35 years on these premises, paying a total of €7.1m per year. It receives €4.5m in rent from tenants in 40 of these offices. However 34 of these buildings were empty last year, with the IDA splashing out close to €1.6m in rent, a spokesman told the Sunday Independent.
IDA's €1.6m rent on empty buildings in one year - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

New Threads

Most Replies