State to run out of cash if budget is not passed, warns Cowen (Irish Times front pg)

Casillas

I don't believe him. I think even if the budget is passed, the state will run out of cash.

loner

This sounds like a bit of blackmail from Cowen--let him dissolve the Dail immediatly and get to hell out of there and make way for a new Government that will endeavour to clean up the awful mess that FF aided by the PDs and latterly by the Greens have created.

Newsy

The fecking Bond markets will do their nut tomorrow..
cowen hasn't a clue!!!!

When are you going to realise that he DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE COUNTRY!!!!

It party, first.

jc_ie

Can't agree....call an election.....bond markets have no confidence because of the muppets in charge....JUST GO!!!!!

In retrospect you are right.

Was thinking too literally. If he really believed what he said the logical step from his position would be have the budget tomorrow.

I keep forgetting logic was left out a long time ago.

EUrJokingMeRight

Cowen, is he still here? He should do something he'd be good at, like licking stamps at the GPO.

Iarmuid

Things are very worrying.

Very worrying.

Not the type of press this country needs. I expect many people to start holding cash
you can expect capital controls in the near future - the real money has already flown the country. The gubment will now look for every red cent to save its rotting corpse.

SinnShane

He's still basically scheming and stroking in order to squeeze every last second out of the being the Taoiseach.

MPB

Everybody relax. We do not have to borrow until the new year. All we have to do between now and then is rid ourselves of FF and the Bank debt.

Promise to honour all sovereign debt, except that guaranteed by the corrupt political entity that was FF, on behalf of their friends and donors in the Private Banks and the Construction Industry.

The sovereign bondmarkets will flock back to Ireland. I guarantee it.

SinnShane

He's still basically scheming and stroking in order to squeeze every last second out of the being the Taoiseach.
Whether he's right or not is irrelevant (for him), my point being that he's scaring the dunces to save his own hide not the state's.

atlantic

They can take out 6 billion this year ,it won't make one bit of difference .Ireland is bankrupt full stop,along with loads of other Euro zone countries ,our little country is the start but watch out when the big ones start buckling under the weight of the politically compassionate something for nothing welfare state.It's only a matter of time.

jc_ie

Bah. Cant get the Embed properly..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cC7QmQ4Nzo&NR=1"]YouTube - Star Trek: TNG "Cause and Effect"[/ame]

Suitable possibly...

I can't believe anyone with an ounce of sense would say such a thing.

Either way i suppose it doesnt matter. He wont be in charge anymore soon enough.
That is if he indeed in charge at the moment.

This too will pass. This will all be a distant memory someday. And hopefully.. just hopefully FF will be a history lesson & not a present nightmare.

Last edited:

politicaldonations

A little birdie told me that the Treasurary Building which houses NAMA and NTMA got increased security this week, with front doors reinforced, new alarms etc. Are the tennants/owners expecting trouble???

Radix

Who borrowed billions to buy or build big houses, bought flash cars, holidays abroad, great big camper vans and holiday homes? Who paid themselves billions in wages that far outstripped those in the rest of Europe? Whose public sector has the highest wage and pension bill in Europe? Whose politicians are the highest paid in Europe? Who voted like sheep time and time again for the Euro, for Lisbon and all the other bloody EU treaties without reading and discussing the details properly? Who voted the politicians in to power? Who bought up massively expensive property is Ireland, the UK, the USA? Who???? The Irish! Did anyone in Ireland challenge the 'economic miracle' of the Celtic Tiger? No! You borrowed and borrowed and borrowed and spent and spent and built and no-one challenged the acts of the individual, the developer, the banks or the politicians. No-one else is to blame for the mess you are in except the Irish people as a collective. I've been travelling to Ireland since the 70's and have seen massive changes in that time, mostly good ones, however in the past 10 years all I have seen is greed and avarice where fools borrowed much, much more than they could afford and did not have the sense to see where their actions would lead. So don't try blaming the bankers or the politicians or any other single group. It was a collective failure with greed on all sides. Those who will now suffer are the poorest in society but that is the fault of the Irish people who failed to take care of their own personal, local and national responsibilities, not of Europe, nor for once can the UK be blamed (which seems to make a change). The reason that the EU is now taking control of Irish affairs is because you broke the covenant with the EU to run a responsible economy. It's too late to moan about it now. The time for reflection on the effect of the EU in Ireland was when you voted for the Euro. You have my complete sympathy as a nation and I truly hope you get back in control very soon but blaming others is a nonsense. Grow up and take your medicine.

Sham96

Get this clown a strait-jacket and lock him up pronto. This will be the major news story today worldwide. Clown needs medical help.

Newsy

Get this clown a strait-jacket and lock him up pronto. This will be the major news story today worldwide. Clown needs medical help.
So much for leadership!!!!

No wonder the 'markets' have no confidence in us......lenny's figures jumping all over the place, for years.........and cowen, making such a statement.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies