State to run out of cash if budget is not passed, warns Cowen (Irish Times front pg)

neutral_lurker

Cowan knows full well that the budget may not be passed. The independents may not be able to swallow it for one.. so he is getting the first kick in to the opposition who are going to oppose it for reasons of fairness, because you can be assured that despite what Cowan and co say this will be another unfair budget hitting those who are most vulnerable and least able to fight back. Unemployed, carers, etc. The FF pr machine will round on Labour and FG with a vengeance ...just watch.
Yes Louise, I am waiting for the higher rate of tax reliefs to be abolished on pensions, for higher paid PS workers to take a pay cut and have a cap on wages, unvouched expenses system and perks to be done away with.

These are not even being mentioned.

The rich will stay rich and the poor will get poorer.

sport02

Cowen accused Rabbitte of playing down the economy to outsiders in the dail today, does he not realise his goverment have been playing up the economy so much, it has got us into trouble.
Such a desperate hypocrite.

Legacy

If you have a long-term illness and cannot afford your medication, you have a very good case for being awarded a medical card. If none of your TD's are interested in pursuing the case on your behalf, you live in a very strange constituency.

I hope you are not just assuming they will not do anything on your behalf and not bothering to ask for their asistance in the first place.
I dont want to de-rail the thread but suffice to say I've done just about all I can. I even got as far as having a one on one meeting with Mary Harney's personal advisor a couple of years ago to no avail. Unfortunately the illness I have is not on the Govt Long Term Illness list so therefore there is no automatic entitlement to medical card or medications. According to him at our meeting the 'blockage' to that happening was the asthma lobby. I kid you not. He told me that the 'asthma' people were a powerful lobby and their application to be included in the Long Term List hadnt been approved because it would cost the Govt a fortune. Therefore all other applications wouldnt be considered because the asthma lobby would go bonkers. I swear Im not making this up! He was surprisingly loose lipped at our meeting when it transpired we knew some of the same people..wink wink. Anyway - just explaining. Dont need a response.

Amach na Casca

This has to be the greatest Machiavellian move ever witnessed in this country.
+1 It is reminisicent of "Yes for Jobs", "Yes for the economy" Lisbon II. Since it was passed we've lost loads of jobs and the economy has moved to life support. Nobody should put any stock in the comments of bluffo and his cronies any more. They bring spoofery to a new level.

Radix

Not quibbling with a lot of the content in that post, Radix. In fact I could have written a slightly better informed version of it myself. But are we supposed to regard it as a better class of rant just because it comes from somewhere else?

Not dissing you - just curious.
I haven't seen any Irish posters call it as this poster from blighty does. Call it a rant if you wish, but as you suggest, it has some merits in that it does speak a truth we all can identify with.

Here it is again!

Who borrowed billions to buy or build big houses, bought flash cars, holidays abroad, great big camper vans and holiday homes? Who paid themselves billions in wages that far outstripped those in the rest of Europe? Whose public sector has the highest wage and pension bill in Europe? Whose politicians are the highest paid in Europe? Who voted like sheep time and time again for the Euro, for Lisbon and all the other bloody EU treaties without reading and discussing the details properly? Who voted the politicians in to power? Who bought up massively expensive property is Ireland, the UK, the USA? Who???? The Irish! Did anyone in Ireland challenge the 'economic miracle' of the Celtic Tiger? No! You borrowed and borrowed and borrowed and spent and spent and built and no-one challenged the acts of the individual, the developer, the banks or the politicians. No-one else is to blame for the mess you are in except the Irish people as a collective. I've been travelling to Ireland since the 70's and have seen massive changes in that time, mostly good ones, however in the past 10 years all I have seen is greed and avarice where fools borrowed much, much more than they could afford and did not have the sense to see where their actions would lead. So don't try blaming the bankers or the politicians or any other single group. It was a collective failure with greed on all sides. Those who will now suffer are the poorest in society but that is the fault of the Irish people who failed to take care of their own personal, local and national responsibilities, not of Europe, nor for once can the UK be blamed (which seems to make a change). The reason that the EU is now taking control of Irish affairs is because you broke the covenant with the EU to run a responsible economy. It's too late to moan about it now. The time for reflection on the effect of the EU in Ireland was when you voted for the Euro. You have my complete sympathy as a nation and I truly hope you get back in control very soon but blaming others is a nonsense. Grow up and take your medicine.

Radix

Radix, is there a reason you posted the same piece twice?
Yeah Mr. Funky. Some galoot took umbrage at it last night, so since I think it speaks a truth we can all identify with, I felt he might need to have some mature reflection on its contents.

blodger

I haven't seen any Irish posters call it as this poster from blighty does. Call it a rant if you wish, but as you suggest, it has some merits in that it does speak a truth we all can identify with.

Here it is again!

Who borrowed billions to buy or build big houses, bought flash cars, holidays abroad, great big camper vans and holiday homes? Who paid themselves billions in wages that far outstripped those in the rest of Europe? Whose public sector has the highest wage and pension bill in Europe? Whose politicians are the highest paid in Europe? Who voted like sheep time and time again for the Euro, for Lisbon and all the other bloody EU treaties without reading and discussing the details properly? Who voted the politicians in to power? Who bought up massively expensive property is Ireland, the UK, the USA? Who???? The Irish! Did anyone in Ireland challenge the 'economic miracle' of the Celtic Tiger? No! You borrowed and borrowed and borrowed and spent and spent and built and no-one challenged the acts of the individual, the developer, the banks or the politicians. No-one else is to blame for the mess you are in except the Irish people as a collective. I've been travelling to Ireland since the 70's and have seen massive changes in that time, mostly good ones, however in the past 10 years all I have seen is greed and avarice where fools borrowed much, much more than they could afford and did not have the sense to see where their actions would lead. So don't try blaming the bankers or the politicians or any other single group. It was a collective failure with greed on all sides. Those who will now suffer are the poorest in society but that is the fault of the Irish people who failed to take care of their own personal, local and national responsibilities, not of Europe, nor for once can the UK be blamed (which seems to make a change). The reason that the EU is now taking control of Irish affairs is because you broke the covenant with the EU to run a responsible economy. It's too late to moan about it now. The time for reflection on the effect of the EU in Ireland was when you voted for the Euro. You have my complete sympathy as a nation and I truly hope you get back in control very soon but blaming others is a nonsense. Grow up and take your medicine.
I agree. The unions ask where all the billions went. Well a lot of it went to pay inflated salaries and pensions to public sector workers that could not be sustained over the long term. And the state continues to pay 20 billion more per year than it takes in taxes. The only people benefitting from the crazy FF decisions at the moment are the public sector and the politicians.

johnfás

Ireland has already run out of cash. We are the equivalent of 5,000 miles from a petrol station, on the yellow light, but with a couple of bottles of petrol as a "reserve" in the boot. I wouldn't call anything but out of fuel.

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
+1 It is reminisicent of "Yes for Jobs", "Yes for the economy" Lisbon II. Since it was passed we've lost loads of jobs and the economy has moved to life support. Nobody should put any stock in the comments of bluffo and his cronies any more. They bring spoofery to a new level.
It's very hard to judge what lisbon has actually done, given that there is a global recession happening atm.

CookieMonster

It's very hard to judge what lisbon has actually done, given that there is a global recession happening atm.
Vote no and the bondmarkets will go bugfuck and nobody will lend to Ireland.

So we voted yes...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies