Statement by European Commission President Barroso on Ireland

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
European Commission press release
17 November 2010

Statement by President Barroso on Ireland

"…I would really like to welcome the conclusions that have been reached in the ECOFIN Council.

The Irish Prime Minister, Brian Cowen has set out the current situation. The Irish Government is indeed making enormous efforts. I feel confident that the four-year fiscal plan of the Irish Government will be presented soon and next year's budget will prove that 2014 target date for correcting excessive deficit is firm and credible.

The Europgroup yesterday indeed welcomed the determination of the Irish authorities to stick to the Council recommendations.

But Ireland is addressing a very specific problem as far as the banking sector is concerned. This must be done speedily and decisively to pave the way of full confidence to be restored.

In this context, the Irish authorities are committed to working with the Commission, ECB and IMF, to determine the best way to deal with market risks, especially as regards the banking sector.

That was the message we've got … in the Eurogroup. And indeed I welcome the clear will of the Eurogroup to take determined and coordinated action to safeguard the financial stability of the euro area. We have the necessary financial backstops to do so.

Following the decision at the last European Council it is also important to reiterate our determination to achieve this goal. So let's see what are the conclusions of the technical work that is taking place."

DJCB33

That kind of waffle really brings out the eurosceptic in me, an unpleasant feeling.

Legacy

Following the decision at the last European Council it is also important to reiterate our determination to achieve this goal.
Sounds like that is the sentence the European Commission were determined to make sure got into the statement...

olamp

It kind of backs up what the FFers have been saying all day-"working with the commission"etc .----"technical work that is taking place"etc. I suppose it is just the usual double speak that we get from every politician.The guys on Bloomberg were breaking their sides laughing about the bailout that "is not a bailout".

sport02

The 'clear will' of the europgroup to take action - whether we like it or not!
Of course, we are the disruptive pupil in the classroom, we are starting to have a bad influence on the rest of the pupils. The headmaster is arriving in town tomorrow, to put us back in our place.

commonman

he must have seen cowen on rte 6. i news and ************************ him self

Mister men

You rub my back and i'll rub your's political waffle. The game is up for FF and the European project.

scallioneater

More wait and see. Wonder what they are finding out now they got some people to check figures. I'm sure it's nothing good. Interesting times indeed.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
This seems to me just like a boilerplate statement from someone who feels he has to make statements to re-enforce his own importance. I'm off to youtube now to watch a few Nigel Farage videos taking the mick out of comrade Barosso excuse me...

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Hey dave you have to watch this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkhIQsNShUs]YouTube - UKIP Nigel Farage on Ireland and the crumbling Euro project (16Nov10)[/ame]

atlantic

That statment is one "these fooking paddies are going take the bleedin money or the Euro's fooked".You can read into the panic.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Farage once again shows us what the EU is really about.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-shvG02VA]YouTube - Nigel Farage reprimanded for criticising new EU president & foreign minister[/ame]

And back here bond rates soar like an eagle!

New Threads

Most Replies