Statements on meetings of party leaders to discuss the public finances

Ulster-Lad

Well the brightest of the lot was Sinn Féin, they were not there.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Statement by the Minister for Finance ........

Statement by the Minister for Finance, Brian Lenihan TD following the Meeting of Party Leaders on the Public Finances

I welcome the commitment of the leaders of Fine Gael and Labour to achieving the target of a deficit of below 3% of GDP by 2014.

This commitment agreed between the Government and the two main opposition parties, sends out to the international markets an important signal of our determination to restore order to the public finances.

I want to confirm that I am available to exchange with the Opposition spokespersons our analysis of how this agreed target can be achieved.

Outlander

Cowen: Growth predictions justified | BreakingNews.ie

Taoiseach Brian Cowen today maintained the Government’s predictions on economic growth were justified amid fears the financial black hole is deeper than expected.

Mr Cowen said forecasts from the Department of Finance for this year’s budget were not wrong but were made prior to world events such as the Greek debt crisis.
First Lehman's now the Greeks. We grow nothing in Ireland, not even crises.

G

Gimpanzee

So Lab and FG do their duty. Turn up, take a look at the great big pile of stinking sh!te that Cowen wants them to ask people to clean up for him and walk out and treat the consensus idea with the contempt it deserves. Job well done. Shinners took the wrong option. Cowen left with the impossible task of spinning this as a positive of some sorts.

All's well that ends well.

Libero

My point is they found out nothing the other day that they didn't already know, they're just pretending they did for party political purposes.
Can you show us where it had already entered the public domain that the Promissory Notes handed to Anglo and INBS carry an annual interest payment, to the banks, in the region of €1.5 billion? (i.e. in addition to the annual portions of the principal sum and the annual cost of financing the whole arrangement)

That seemed to come as a bit of a surprise to poor Joan.

MPB

It just can`t be done .
Head line in tomorrows Indo is about the ESRI calling for the 3% by 2014 deadline to be extended by 2 years as the target is unrealistic and will not be reached.

Of course our Schoolteachers, Lawyers and inheritors of the family heirloom that is a Dail seat know better.

oddsox

Kenny is really dumb to come out with something like this.

He really is telling the Electorate that FF & FG really are just Tweedledum & Tweedledee....

What a Plank!:rolleyes:
Yes, tweedledum was hung over,,
the greens won't publish their document until spring (no growth this time of year)
labour will publish theirs in the next fairytail book,
And FG will propose a solution and tweedledum will publish it as theirs

turdsl

Head line in tomorrows Indo is about the ESRI calling for the 3% by 2014 deadline to be extended by 2 years as the target is unrealistic and will not be reached.

Of course our Schoolteachers, Lawyers and inheritors of the family heirloom that is a Dail seat know better.

They will be damn glad to review it this time next year, when the whole economy is stagnant
due to cuts, There can be no improvement on austerity measures alone. There has to be money in ciculation for any hope of recovery

droghedasouth

My point is they found out nothing the other day that they didn't already know, they're just pretending they did for party political purposes.
When did FF finally realise that we hadn't turned the corner, that the worst was not behind us and that ye have brought us to the precipice of total disaster.

GDPR

So Lab and FG do their duty. Turn up, take a look at the great big pile of stinking sh!te that Cowen wants them to ask people to clean up for him and walk out and treat the consensus idea with the contempt it deserves. Job well done. Shinners took the wrong option. Cowen left with the impossible task of spinning this as a positive of some sorts.

All's well that ends well.
That all depends on how you look at it.

The best result for the country would have been if they could have reached agreement, the second best result, but for the Government only, was giving FG & Labour the chance to do their state some service and they walking away it.

Cowen won't have to try very hard to spin this one, FG & Labour have given him a big stick and I'd be surprised if he doesn't beat them with it.

MPB

The best result for the country would have been if they could have reached agreement, the second best result, but for the Government only, was giving FG & Labour the chance to do their state some service and they walking away it.

Cowen won't have to try very hard to spin this one, FG & Labour have given him a big stick and I'd be surprised if he doesn't beat them with it.
He will most likely poke himself in the eye.

SKELLY

Just like your God and Messiah Charley!
Whilst everyone paid dearly and "tighten their belts" he was of on the gov. jet to paris buying silk shirts.

Goldencircle

National interest was it ?

GDPR

Can you show us where it had already entered the public domain that the Promissory Notes handed to Anglo and INBS carry an annual interest payment, to the banks, in the region of €1.5 billion? (i.e. in addition to the annual portions of the principal sum and the annual cost of financing the whole arrangement)

That seemed to come as a bit of a surprise to poor Joan.
It entered the public domain a few weeks ago when Cowen stood up the the Dail and said that would be the cost of it, did it not?

I think you may be double counting, surely as cash replaces promissory notes, the interest on the note stops while the interest on the cash starts, no?

Goldencircle

Ouch! That would have hurt if it was sharp and I sat on it.....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies