Statue of Jesus removed from hospital for fear of giving offence.

Ulster-Lad

Personally, I do not see anything offensive in the statue. What I do see as offensive is the decision to remove it.

constitutionus

is it just me or from the right angle does he look like batman ?

eoghanacht

They say it was on H&S grounds but if it was any other reason then it is time to protect ourselves from this brigade who are determined as they are in the UK to wipe out anything that does not fit THEIR perception of what a sterile society should be. Those self appointed idoiots should be sh1t on from a great height. They have started to dilute christmas already and next we will not be allowed to practice our religion. I see the correlation between our wave of immigrants from strange places and these new restrictions that are slowly perculating into society. If the immigrants dont like it like it is, Aer Lingus does some great bargains to lots of exotic destinations. We are happy as we are thank you.
8 post's in and someone blames the "immigrants". It is not ofcouse the fault of the overzealous P.C obsessed management that took the decision. No them fecking immigrants coming here and getting offende by our statue's. Why i oughtta.........

Ofcourse you have evidence of "de immigrants" complaining.

wombat

I wonder will the Brazilians be doing the same in Rio?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Looking forward to the Saudis removing the Koran from their hospitals to avoid 'offending' the Christians (yeah right!). As an ardent secularist I don't want religious imagery in public-sector buildings (though I might make allowances for personal possessions which can sometimes be a source of comfort to the very ill), but this is being done for the wrong reasons. The Left talk about equality but they actually want to relegate symbols of Irish identity to the second-division. We are sick, sore and tired of this stupid, stupid, stupid Political-Correctness and we must pile on the pressure on our public-representatives to cut it out. :roll:

Last edited:

mr_anderson

I drove past st. vincents the other day and noticed a statute (of mary, I think) at the beginning of a path leading into the hospital.

Can't say I was offended by it, but it did look somewhat unnecessary.

Personally I think these statues were far more offensive (to non-catholics) up until the late 80s, as they symbolised the real power of the church.
Today, they are just relics of the past, a reminder of what Ireland used to be like.

Looking forward to the Saudis removing the Koran from their hospitals to avoid 'offending' the Christians (yeah right!). As an ardent secularist I don't want religious imagery in public-sector buildings, but this is being done for the wrong reasons. The Left talk about equality but they actually want to relegate symbols of Irish identity to the second-division. We are sick, sore and tired of this stupid, stupid, stupid Political-Correctness and we must pile on the pressure on our public-representatives to cut it out. :roll:
+1

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
If you look closely, you can see what looks like grass in at the base in the first image and alos note in the 2nd that the top has been aligned to an apex. Sounds like the base had separated from the roof and it was simply cheaper to move the statue.

Half Nelson

The secularist Taliban strike again.
We've swapped one set of masters for another.

"The Root of Oppression Is the Loss of Memory"

st333ve

Glad they removed it.

I wouldnt fancy going to a hospital where they have a statue of a man with a bleeding organ stuck to his outer chest, while standing ontop of a roof wearing a cape.

Atleast they didnt use the statue of the man nailed to a huge cross dying and bleeding in agony.

Seriously, you need to take a step back and look at this stuff.

If you wernt used to seeing that all the time it would look seriously creepy.

If you went to a hospital in a foreign country and they had a huge statue of a man in a superman costume his with a liver stuck to his face and being nailed to a lampost - you would be just as shocked.

Last edited:

Green eyed monster

If the non-Catholics would have been offended then surely their religious convictions are unreasonable? If the idea of multiculturalism is that different cultures tolerate the icons of each other then the same should hold for religion so a statue of Jesus would not be 'offensive' - because such an attitude would not be in keeping with this proposed ethos of tolerance, Jesus is not the 'enemy' in any other religious teaching (except perhaps atheists but they are unorganised as a faith) so his presence is not offensive to the faiths of others.

We will come to regret these kinds of changes in due time, when the temporary and shallow allure of wanting to believe we are somehow too cosmopolitan and 'sophisticated' for such things has worn off.

Personally I think these statues were far more offensive (to non-catholics) up until the late 80s, as they symbolised the real power of the church.
Today, they are just relics of the past, a reminder of what Ireland used to be like.
Funny though how our leaders have never exactly been as zealous about replacing all the British imperial relics dotted around the country... Not that i would want them removed - if they have historical value and even cultural value from our time in the empire (something doesn't have to represent a positive experience to deserve to continue to exist as a cultural relic) then they should be left as they are too.

Now that the statue is down they should replace it with a statue of mammon to represent the core values in the country.

Nodin

Well now you know how people feel when they read your posts.
Dear Jesus man - you came out with something stupid, you were mocked for your assinine assertions - the thread is over........ let it go.

Or take up finger painting. Nice, rage soothing finger painting.

HoratioCaine

Will the presence or otherwise of the statue have any effect on improving hospital care.....I think not, so it's not even an issue imo.

I would very much doubt any among our "tribe" are behind this. The main argument in favour of it's removal as far as I'm concerned is thar red simply does not work on statues. It ws a tacky looking thing

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies