Statue of Jesus removed from hospital for fear of giving offence.

Fantasia

Dont JUMP to conclusions
edited to the point of irrelevance to conform to Irish Taliban-style blastpheme laws

Last edited:

Cato

I thought you supported Freedom of Speech?
I do, but I also believe that clerics, qua clerics, should not attempt to interfere in matters of state. Church and state ought, in any self respecting republic, to be completely separate. This works both ways - I likewise have a problem with government ministers, as such, calling for bishops to resign. Clear for you now?

Foghorn

I do, but I also believe that clerics, qua clerics, should not attempt to interfere in matters of state. Church and state ought, in any self respecting republic, to be completely separate. This works both ways - I likewise have a problem with government ministers, as such, calling for bishops to resign. Clear for you now?
Seems terrribly convoluted. So by separating Church and State a gag is effectively enforced upon both. I wonder if that is a consequence most people would anticipate when the matter of Church/State separation is put before them. I wouldn't think so.

BTW, is your view on this the one that is commonly held or do you think others (like me) have different ideas of what this separation entails?

What a handy way of using Church/State separation to achieve a secular society. It basically makes both powerless - one to the other.

I think Ministers should call for Bishops to resign if they deem it appropriate to do so.

jimmydec

amazing the right wing catholic extremists have all gone quiet since the statue was re erected on the front lawn of the hopital-- they were so paranoid that they did not want to believe what they were told --that was going up again in a safe place. This whole controversy was a non event, they cant admit that they made complete fools of themselves, the media just loved the story, like an episode of father ted/kilnascully

Foghorn

amazing the right wing catholic extremists have all gone quiet since the statue was re erected on the front lawn of the hopital-- they were so paranoid that they did not want to believe what they were told --that was going up again in a safe place. This whole controversy was a non event, they cant admit that they made complete fools of themselves, the media just loved the story, like an episode of father ted/kilnascully
Don't be so naieve. :rolleyes:

petronius

Gross Stupidity - what the heck is the HSE doing removing statues from hospitals as if it is of any concern!
The should be concerned with the Waiting Lists for operations, the queues in A & E, or even clean the hosptials from MRSA and super bugs.
Rather than give in to these Fascist Zealots who want to get offended and have no concern for people and are on this Crusade to impose their vision of a liberality..

jimmydec

the truth of the issue was there was subsidence and cracks in the walls of the building and that pieces of statue were likely to dislodge and could hit someone on the head, but no the right wing objectors seemed to think that this risk was ok,and make a big song and dance without checking the facts

merle haggard

whats even more amazing is they continued posting the same rubbish after that was pointed out

ellie08

It's not the statues they need to get rid of - it's the religious nuts on the boards of hospitals that should be removed.

Old Mr Grouser

... Personally I think these statues were far more offensive (to non-catholics) up until the late 80s, as they symbolised the real power of the Church.

Today, they are just relics of the past, a reminder of what Ireland used to be like.

The RCC still has a lot of power, but they're more discreet than previously.

And the campaign to get that Sacred Heart statue back to its old situation - over the hospital's front door - has been resurrected; possibly because of the sectarians' success regarding the Crucifix in Kerry County Council's Chamber.

Moving statue debate heats up | KillarneyToday.com

Here's an old photo of the idol as it used to be -

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
//
Here's an old photo of the idol as it used to be -

Maybe we should keep a few of the concrete idols as proof of how daw-like we were, and what we spent our money on?

Spanner Island

It's not the statues they need to get rid of - it's the religious nuts on the boards of hospitals that should be removed.
Dunno... I find some of the older hospitals that are littered with religious statues to be a bit creepy...

And I'll bet they're rarely cleaned and that they just attract dust too...

Not very hygenic.

They should go imo.

Hospitals are about medicine and science.

Wanna pray..? Go to a church or a mosque or whatever...

Clanrickard

Dunno... I find some of the older hospitals that are littered with religious statues to be a bit creepy...

And I'll bet they're rarely cleaned and that they just attract dust too...

Not very hygenic.

They should go imo.

Hospitals are about medicine and science.

Wanna pray..? Go to a church or a mosque or whatever...
If you are sick I doubt you are bothered by statues. I am an atheist and the statues never bothered me. I was more bothered by the bad food, the slobbishly dressed nurses and the TV shooing foreign soaps.

Spanner Island

If you are sick I doubt you are bothered by statues. I am an atheist and the statues never bothered me. I was more bothered by the bad food, the slobbishly dressed nurses and the TV shooing foreign soaps.
True enough I suppose... although I really don't like all those old buildings with their high ceilings and dark rooms and crappy neon lighting... and the statues don't help... I find it all depressing and morbid and not conducive to a positive outlook...

Much prefer a modern building with no clutter and clean lines and lots of glass and natural light... and if there have to be statues... make them contemporary...

james5001

True enough I suppose... although I really don't like all those old buildings with their high ceilings and dark rooms and crappy neon lighting... and the statues don't help... I find it all depressing and morbid and not conducive to a positive outlook...

Much prefer a modern building with no clutter and clean lines and lots of glass and natural light... and if there have to be statues... make them contemporary...
Some of those old buildings (And I mean old, not built in the 60s) are architecturally beautiful inside, compared to their new extensions (which are still nice)

The Mater hospital being a good example.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies