• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Statutory redundancy only for IBRC staff?

statsman

From Twitter:

RTÉ News ‏@rtenews

Staff at IBRC have been told they will only receive statutory redundancy following the liquidation of the instution (sic) by the Govt.
How likely is this to stick? Is it the right thing to do? What are the likely consequences for staff at other banks?

james5001

Will many of the staff not be rehired by NAMA?

Casablanca

This is being discussed here

Always wanted to say that.

Sorry:D

zermatt

Yes, its the right thing to do.

Anybody I know who works in there got parachuted in by Fianna Fail or they are connected some way to the construction business.

ruserious

Nobody being rehired by NAMA should get redundancy.

Howya

So does that mean in 2020, the Nama staff will only get statutory redundacy when it is wound up?

Samell

IBRC has only been in existence for 18 months,have the spent what they got when Anglo was closed.

How many have been made unemployed with less because of their actions?

'Aint payback a Biatch

Fides

Issue is scale as well though.
My understanding is there is an awful lot of duplication of work. Bank staff looks at loan in detail, Nama staff look at loan in detail. Hopefully there will be a lot less in the combined entity. As for statutory their employer is more than bust, statutory is what you get. Many of these staff were culpable in giving out loans they shouldn't have and were paid very well to do so.

Howya

Nobody being rehired by NAMA should get redundancy.
the TUPE legislation will likely be used meaning that the jobs transfer.

A transfer of undertakings occurs when a business, or part of a business, is taken over by another employer as a result of a merger, acquisition or transfer of a part or all of the business.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Should the 'only' precede 'statutory' in the thread title? Or perhaps a comma after the existing only?

Sync

Dunno. I'd never work for a company where I feel there's a possiblity I'd be made redundant with only statutory redundancy. I think most people of a certain employment background would feel the same. So I'm not likely to want to work for the Irish govt now.

Also, while we can muck around with semantics, these people were effectively state employees. How does their treatment compare to the oddysey of redundancies at AIB?

LamportsEdge

Haven't these people been paid for a number of years by a bank that was effectively dead as far back as 2007?

What would you call that as a concession? Five years pay from a dead company?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
If they are to be re-hired by NAMA they should get nothing. If they aren't they should get statutory only, that's what HMV (and other) workers will get and that's why it's set as a safety net. Many of those in tthe bank have years of service( they were allowed to carry over their Anglo service, I believe) and were on inflated salaries.

luvmycountry

finally.. years after they caused thousands of others to lose their jobs, it is finally their turn.