Stealing, Selling, Buying your Data - Who's Guilty?

Half Nelson

A 50-year-old former civil servant has been sentenced to two years in jail with the final year suspended for passing confidential information about individuals to private detectives for payment.
They in turn passed some of it on to financial institutions.
The court was told that this information, including the location of those involved as well as their loans, were then passed on to various banks and solicitors’ offices.
He added that his client was the only one before the court despite the fact that two others were directly involved and the information had been passed on to various financial institutions.

"This case stands out as one of the most serious data breaches ever uncovered in this State,”
On 13 February, 2012 the Dublin District Court accepted jurisdiction in the matter. Each of the defendant insurance companies pleaded guilty to ten charges in respect of breaches of Sections 19(2)(a) and 19(2)(b) of the Data Protection Acts. Having heard the prosecution evidence, the Court was satisfied that the prosecution case had been proven. Section 1(1) of the Probation of Offenders Act was applied in the case of each defendant company. Each of the defendant companies made an offer of a charitable donation of €20,000 to be paid to a charity of the Court’s choosing. In each case, the Court accepted the offer and it directed that all three payments be made to the Capuchin Day Centre within two weeks. The Office also recovered from the defendants the legal costs arising from the prosecution.
Am I the only person who is uneasy at the way this case was neatly wrapped up, with only one individual being held personally responsible?

Justice?

gerhard dengler

Am I the only person who is uneasy at the way this case was neatly wrapped up, with only one individual being held personally responsible?

Justice?
The person who discloses the information is deemed guilty, but the person(s) receiving stolen goods (information) isn't guilty?

If you receive stolen goods, you are guilty usually?

Half Nelson

The person who discloses the information is deemed guilty, but the person(s) receiving stolen goods (information) isn't guilty?

If you receive stolen goods, you are guilty usually?
Can't there also be crimes of conspiracy and handling stolen goods?

And since when was suspected criminal activity (if that's what it was) able to be hidden under a corporate logo?

Franzoni

Hasn't been much mention of it..

I seem to recall other reports in the past of people in other government depts accessing info on lotto winners etc... for no apparent reason which seems to disappear from view in short order....i suspect the media don't want their sources to dry up by hanging them out to dry.....

It's concerning as there has been a big investigation and compensation paid out in the UK about blacklisting in employment where the civil/public servants an even union officials who stand accused of giving names and info on not only employees but on their family members and their political affiliations to agents acting on behalf of employers........

MsDaisyC

Hasn't been much mention of it..

I seem to recall other reports in the past of people in other government depts accessing info on lotto winners etc... for no apparent reason which seems to disappear from view in short order....i suspect the media don't want their sources to dry up by hanging them out to dry.....

It's concerning as there has been a big investigation and compensation paid out in the UK about blacklisting in employment where the civil/public servants an even union officials who stand accused of giving names and info on not only employees but on their family members and their political affiliations to agents acting on behalf of employers........
And each one was identified and reprimanded for their nosiness. The set up in the civil service is quite strict now. Every logon to whatever system is being used carries a certification box that has to be ticked to gain access. You certify that the information you're looking for is in the course of your work only. If I started looking for information on people who have no connection to the work I do, it would be picked up on because there's a record kept of every file I access. In a previous civil service department, many years ago, I'd regularly get calls from gardai looking to confirm an address. It was a casual, friendly set up and I was helping the gardai, so there was no problem. Under current Data Protection laws, even that's now illegal.

I've no sympathy for the guy who sold info, but I would like to see the people who bought it properly prosecuted and fined too.

Franzoni

And each one was identified and reprimanded for their nosiness. The set up in the civil service is quite strict now. Every logon to whatever system is being used carries a certification box that has to be ticked to gain access. You certify that the information you're looking for is in the course of your work only. If I started looking for information on people who have no connection to the work I do, it would be picked up on because there's a record kept of every file I access. In a previous civil service department, many years ago, I'd regularly get calls from gardai looking to confirm an address. It was a casual, friendly set up and I was helping the gardai, so there was no problem. Under current Data Protection laws, even that's now illegal.

I've no sympathy for the guy who sold info, but I would like to see the people who bought it properly prosecuted and fined too.
100%...

Followed by similar widespread investigations into blacklisting and other issues as in the UK and was there any collusion ........

We already know that people on trackers were interfered with...i suspect it's only the tip of a big iceberg........

Last edited:

Franzoni

What type of info would this guy have been giving and why?
I thought the linked article was self explanatory.....

He passed on info which went to financial institutions....i assume those people whose information was illegally accessed and passed on had some sort of debts with those institutions....

Ruff says Flaherty

He passed on info which went to financial institutions....i assume those people whose information was illegally accessed and passed on had some sort of debts with those institutions....
You assume? Not that self-explanatory so ;)

The_SR

Justice?
Two insurance companies were prosecuted. But oddly no mention of the private eye middleman bring held to task

The_SR

Insurance. They were investigating claimants.

Half Nelson

Two insurance companies were prosecuted. But oddly no mention of the private eye middleman bring held to task
Were the insurance companies charged with a criminal offence?

Many private eyes have close links to ags.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies