• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Steorn still sticking with their story -- science subverted!

soubresauts

Despite their well-publicized failure to come up with the goods in July, the small Irish technology company Steorn are still claiming that they will demonstrate a new machine that subverts the most basic laws of science.

They're saying that their "Orbo" machine -- a sort of wheel with a special arrangement of magnets -- creates energy out of nothing. According to them, once it's up and running, it outputs energy indefinitely, and this energy can be used for all sorts of purposes.

I have to say that Steorn are brilliant at selling themselves, and fantastically persistent. They should be in politics! But you have to wonder how long the investors are going to persist, unless Steorn come up with something that works, something other than Orbo, that is.

Until their planned public demo failed miserably on July 5th in London, this small group of people had garnered more world attention in a few months than just about any Irish individual or group in history. (U2 took years to "conquer" the world...)

Hype can take you a long way. And maybe it's not simply deception. Maybe the Steorn people really believe that they have made a breakthrough. They certainly act like it. Yes, at the very least it's great acting. And that deserves our praise.

There was a thread about this before, here.

Ard-Taoiseach

I've been following them ever since they put that ad in The Economist. I really, really hope they're right, for three reasons:

1:It will solve the world's energy crisis, with Peak Oil, Coal and Gas on the way. 200% energy efficencies from little trinkets like these will turn these Everests of problems into insignificant drumlins.

2:It will transform the reputation of Ireland's technology industry. Forget Google, these boys will be the one to watch.

3:The exports, spin-off industries and tax revenue created by this here in Ireland will be a powerful boost to our economy.

Riadach

Or it could be a national embarassment.

Bobb

When I were a lad I'ad a book full of strange stories about disappearances, money pits 'n stuff.
One of the tales were about a man what invented a perpetual motion machine, a wheel what never stopped spinnin'...once it were started, like. He gave demonstrations of it everywhere and were rebuffed, 'e were. 'is final demonstration were when the wheel were started in a windowless room and the room were sealed. When it were opened again months later, well blow me if weren't spinnin' still an' fast as ever it 'ad. Once again 'is claims were rejected only this time 'e took an axe to the machine and smashed it ter smithereens. 'e then vanished never to be seen again.

Ard-Taoiseach

Bobb said:
When I were a lad I'ad a book full of strange stories about disappearances, money pits 'n stuff.
One of the tales were about a man what invented a perpetual motion machine, a wheel what never stopped spinnin'...once it were started, like. He gave demonstrations of it everywhere and were rebuffed, 'e were. 'is final demonstration were when the wheel were started in a windowless room and the room were sealed. When it were opened again months later, well blow me if weren't spinnin' still an' fast as ever it 'ad. Once again 'is claims were rejected only this time 'e took an axe to the machine and smashed it ter smithereens. 'e then vanished never to be seen again.
Exactly, I say we should give them the benefit of the doubt while they put the finishing touches on the device.

SPN

I know one of the investors in Steorn and he swears that it works!

Bobb

SPN said:
Reminds me of that song by the one who were decapitated, you know, the one about the bloke in the chippy

Ard-Taoiseach

SPN said:
Really? Could you persuade them to come on here and tell us how? I'd love to actually hear from them and not get all my info through the media.

Coles

The fact that the 'Steorn' story is still being discussed suggests to me that some of the basic principles of physics are not being properly taught in our primary and secondary schools. 'Knowledge Economy' my hole.

Bobb

Coles said:
The fact that the 'Steorn' story is still being discussed suggests to me that some of the basic principles of physics are not being properly taught in our primary and secondary schools. 'Knowledge Economy' my hole.
Good point Coles, also see the success of that fellow who runs the psychic phonelines

Ard-Taoiseach

Coles said:
Science is an ever-changing beast. It feeds on new ideas and new ways of looking at things. It digests and absorbs that which is provable. It egests and rejects that whcih is unprovable. Let us keep an open mind and wait for this idea to be exposed to the full rigour of scientific enquiry. Only after we can have definitive proof on the veacity of Steaorn's claims can we engage in dismissal/ approval of it.

I await the verdict of the jury of scientists dedicated to evaluating this technology. Tá súil agam go mbeidh sé maith!

For how long were we told that the Earth was flat, or that the sun rotated around the Earth? Galileo could have been wrong, but he wasn't.
Could it be the same for these guys?

I doubt the likes of airtricity and the likes would be overjoyed, but is there an effort by vested interests to get us to ignore these lads?

In saying all that, it's probable that will might be proven wrong.

Ard-Taoiseach

independentobserver said:
For how long were we told that the Earth was flat, or that the Earth rotated around the sun? Galileo could have been wrong, but he wasn't.

I doubt the likes of airtricity and the likes would be overjoyed, but is there an effort by vested interests to get us to ignore these lads?

My sentiments precisely, independentobserver. We should give these lads a good run at it before we start rejecting/accepting it. Making your mind up now is called prejudice!

Pidge

It was put best by John_C:
John_C said:
Also, I have discovered on my land a hill that is 50m high when you go up it but 100m high when you come down. I plan to use an electric pump to get water up the hill. By letting it flow back down through a generator the height difference means that I can get out twice the amount of energy I put in.

I have shown this magic hill to many leading scientists who were amazed but they all refuse to go on record confirming its existance. Also, I have no photographs, diagrams or any other evidance to confirm this hills existance.

Please 'open your mind' by suspending your knowledge of the laws of physics and your common sense while reading this post.

Coles

Ard-Taoiseach said:
For how long were we told that the Earth was flat, or that the Earth rotated around the sun? Galileo could have been wrong, but he wasn't.

My sentiments precisely, independentobserver. We should give these lads a good run at it before we start rejecting/accepting it. Making your mind up now is called prejudice!
:roll: ok A-T... I suppose you'll chalk them in as massive potential for the Irish economy... fabulous news...

Ard-Taoiseach

Coles said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:

:roll: ok A-T... I suppose you'll chalk them in as massive potential for the Irish economy... fabulous news...
What if they're right and thousands of jobs are created here? Then you'll feel right thick with your sanctimonious rolling eyes.

soubresauts

Whether there was an effort or not, the lads were not ignored. Quite the contrary. And some of us are still paying attention to them...

I remember a story from India, about twenty years ago. A well-known holy man or guru announced that on a certain day he would walk on water. He already had enough fame to ensure that everyone was soon talking about it. So when the day came, a vast crowd turned up, along with the world's press...

Coles

Ard-Taoiseach said:
Coles said:
[quote="Ard-Taoiseach":2yvay6yj]

What if they're right and thousands of jobs are created here? Then you'll feel right thick with your sanctimonious rolling eyes.[/quote:2yvay6yj]
Yeah, I'll regret ever being educated.

Ard-Taoiseach said:

The problem is that scientists are too afraid too lose their 'reputation' on this- or at least I hope it's nothing more sinister. I don't to sound like a conspiracy crackpot, but a lot of companies have a lot to lose.

If it turned out to be real, the benefit would be incalculable.

Have you by any chance read 1984?