• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Stephen Donnelly leaves Social Democrats

Mercurial

Great. Now who am I supposed to vote for when my pessimism overcomes my idealism?

Disillusioned democrat

Politics in Ireland is a bit of a mess to be honest.

Stephen Donnelly was one of the good guys IMHO, he seemed genuinely interested in getting the right things done and didn't carry the baggage many of his colleagues do.

The Social Democrats had a very poor start with its inability to appoint a leader and, of course, the media made sure that we never really too them seriously from there onwards.

gleeful

SD is a joint leader of SD, is he not? I think that the news of a party leader quitting his own party warrants its own thread.

alaimacerc

Social Democrats reduced by 33% in size at a stroke, but actually seem somewhat like social democrats now.

crossman

The issue of a leader may be part of it but he was also in an uncomfortable situation with the other TDs. Shortall and Murphy are on the left but I sense Donnelly was on the left as regards social issues but a right winger on the economy. I doubt if he will join another party.

Analyzer

Who is Stephen Donnelly ?

Honestly. Has he said anything in the current Dail about anything ?

Even for the sake of attention seeking.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Well, the SDs say they are not dependent on one personality, but reading between the lines, they are peed off with his walking away. Stephen's *ahem* sanity attracted a lot of support to the 'party', and I belive it'll struggle a lot from now on. Pity, the more parties, the better choice.

Analyzer

Brendan Behan vindicated once again.

alaimacerc

The issue of a leader may be part of it but he was also in an uncomfortable situation with the other TDs. Shortall and Murphy are on the left but I sense Donnelly was on the left as regards social issues but a right winger on the economy. I doubt if he will join another party.
The expectation, if anything, was he might well end up in the Ross group (it was unclear at that point which parties or "independent alliances" would agglomerate). I'm not sure if there was ever serious talk of him joining Renua, but it would have been less of a head-scratcher.

Basically his (not-so) unique selling point is being a member of the banking classes giving out yards about the banking classes.

Shorthall on News at One talking about him now.

A Voice

The SDs are a pointless version of another pointless party, Labour.

Signed up to a luvvy "we are the world" platform on immigration. Went down well in the Irish Times.

Can't see the point of Donnelly as an independent, either. Unless he starts really thinking outside the box and representing some real kind of new politics, not soft-left grandeeism.

Josip Broz

Is he joining FF? Watch that space...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies