Stephen Fry auditions for Ros na Rún (seriously!)

fluffykontbiscuits

Should be interesting. Anyone interested in Minority languages, read Mother Tongues by Helena Drysdale,fantastic look at minority languages in Europe :)

stripey cat

Fry-creature to appear on TG4 Soap 'Ros na Rún'; Kevin Myers yet to comment.

Stephen Fry tp appear on TG4 Soap 'Ros na Rún'.

This is a thread to discuss, in English, the fact that English actor Stephen Fry is to appear, speaking Irish on the TG4 programme 'Ros na Rún', which is in Irish, and to speculate on the effect this may have on the constitution and well being of Kevin Myers.

Myers, who wrote an article last year referring to the famous TV presenter, actor, and Apple Mac enthusiast as " a celebrity, a luvvie, a Jew and a homosexual", is not known for his love of the Irish language in general, or TG4 in particular.

The idea of this Ros na Rún featuring a speaking part by the man he referred to as "this Fry-creature" may not bode well for his blood pressure.

Having the right to offer a different opinion on a matter of concern is a pillar of freedom - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

Stephen Fry to appear in 'Ros na Rún' - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 16, 2010

eoghanacht

Maith an fhéar stiofán

Halo

is maith liom stiofan. Ta me ag baint sult as a clar nua, great migrations chomh maith!

junius

Fair play to him.
Yes, great. Stephen Fry is one of the cleverest, funniest, most sincere men to appear on our TV screens and in documentaries of all sorts. I hope his appearance will be well advertised so I don't miss it. Myers, on the other hand is one of the most unfunny prats of Celtic Tiger Ireland who is long past his sell-by date! Long past time he is quietly retired, preferably to Siberia!

goatstoe

Fair play Stiofán. Not a fluent Irish speaker myself, Stephen will put us all to shame by learning and speaking Irish. Great coup for Ros na Rún.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Stepen Fry's autobiography "Moab is my Washpot" may surprise a few people . He tells of his life as a spoilt schoolboy and college sneak thief.

I enjoyed the book and like his sense of humour and self mockery. What a memory he has! He knows everything. Nearly.

Great to hear of his TV part here in Ireland and his grasping of the Irish language, instead of other things.

n1nap

Stephen Fry tp appear on TG4 Soap 'Ros na Rún'.

This is a thread to discuss, in English, the fact that English actor Stephen Fry is to appear, speaking Irish on the TG4 programme 'Ros na Rún', which is in Irish, and to speculate on the effect this may have on the constitution and well being of Kevin Myers.

Myers, who wrote an article last year referring to the famous TV presenter, actor, and Apple Mac enthusiast as " a celebrity, a luvvie, a Jew and a homosexual", is not known for his love of the Irish language in general, or TG4 in particular.

The idea of this Ros na Rún featuring a speaking part by the man he referred to as "this Fry-creature" may not bode well for his blood pressure.

Having the right to offer a different opinion on a matter of concern is a pillar of freedom - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

Stephen Fry to appear in 'Ros na Rún' - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 16, 2010

In fairness, what Myers wrote was: "As a celebrity, a luvvie, a Jew and a homosexual, he is untouchable." The context makes it clear that Myers is not attempting to denigrate Fry for these characteristics, merely for his views.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies