Stephen Hawking, CH CBE FRS FRSA Sciences brightest star has died aged 76.

benroe

Stephen Hawking, CH CBE FRS FRSA, Science's brightest star has died aged 76.

Stephen William Hawking has died aged 76, he deserves to be remembered for many reasons not least having out lived his life expectancy by 51 years. It is a testimony to his incredible brain that every conceivable technology was used that we may hear his words.
Some say his achievements were in his ability to ask the right questions ,not his ability to answer them, some say his greatest achievement was bringing the complexity of time and space to the masses in his book "A brief History of time", whatever you may think of him its hard not to admire the man.

RIP.

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Now mr Hawking knows how wrong he was about most things.

Mitsui2

Stephen William Hawking has died aged 76, he deserves to be remembered for many reasons not least having out lived his life expectancy by 51 years. It is a testimony to his incredible brain that every conceivable technology was used that we may hear his words.
Some say his achievements were in his ability to ask the right questions ,not his ability to answer them, some say his greatest achievement was bringing the complexity of time and space to the masses in his book "A brief History of time", whatever you may think of him its hard not to admire the man.

RIP.

Well done - an OP much worthier of its subject than the earlier one.

Perhaps under the circumstances the mods might consider merging the old thread with this one, giving this one precedence?

The_SR

Now mr Hawking knows how wrong he was about most things.
Professor Stephen Hawking. CH CBE FRS FRSA.Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology within the University of Cambridge. Wrong about most things.

TFM. Buffoon with probable learning disability. Right.

dizillusioned

Professor Stephen Hawking. CH CBE FRS FRSA.Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology within the University of Cambridge. Wrong about most things.
Didn't realise he was also a make-up artist.... interesting.

razorblade

This is a much better informed and detailed op than the previous one good job.

wombat

His book is one I'm always meaning to read but I won't hold my breath:lol:

The Field Marshal

A bit late but are you starting to get some sense.?

Degeneration X

His book is one I'm always meaning to read but I won't hold my breath:lol:
"A Brief History of Time" is the one of the most widely read books that the majority of the readership didn't really understand. IMO.

RIP Stephen Hawking - met him once, was starstruck.

The Field Marshal

Have some respect you bowsie. At least wait a day or two before going all space cadet on us again.
Respect for what?
There was some excuse for Hawkings stupidity but little for yours.

benroe

Some fitting tributes posted in the earlier thread,

Lumpy Talbot;
A great man indeed and I am sorry to hear of his passing. A cosmologist who supervised physicists in their Phd's and was comfortable really in any of the hard sciences. There will be a deal of sadness today at Gonville & Caius, at Cambridge and at many of the world's great centres of study.

Despite challenges beyond what one could really expect of any human being he continued with a great sense of humour and even a sense of mischief detectable behind the almost impenetrable barrier between him and everyone else.

There are some very funny stories of his sense of mischief at play and I have been privileged to have had some small connection with some of the many things he did beyond being a scientist and oddly enough feel more like smiling at the small mischiefs than being sad at a passing that had been expected for a long time.

The small anecdotes which give a clue to the character of the man are there. Suffice to say that although it has been in the back of everyone's mind for a long time that the day was inevitable and less predictable than in many other lives there will be considerable grief at this news.

I'll think about some of the small anecdotes that show a different side to the public figure and perhaps pass some of them on at a later stage.

A great man in a number of ways, there is no doubt.
Rainmaker;
Very saddened to learn this - one of the finest minds this country ever nurtured.

A genuine inspiration who became famous for his mind & his intelligence in an age when vacuous celebrity dominates our popular culture. He advanced the knowledge of mankind - and inspired others to do so.

The family statement reads; ''he once said It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love. We will miss him forever." - he deserves a more dignified OP than this.
Lumpy Talbot;
Very saddened to learn this - one of the finest minds this country ever nurtured.

A genuine inspiration who became famous for his mind & his intelligence in an age when vacuous celebrity dominates our popular culture. He advanced the knowledge of mankind - and inspired others to do so.

The family statement reads; ''he once said It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love. We will miss him forever." - he deserves a more dignified OP than this.

For the event I mention above Professor Hawking was asked for a guest list he'd prefer to have invited on his behalf.

The list he sent back was an undoubted piece of mischief- there were any number of Hollywood stars on it

He didn't mind the odd wind-up if he could get away with it.
Hillman Hunter;
I am happy to confess that I couldn't get past about 20 pages of "A Brief History of Time", so for me, and I suspect many others, his scientific significance will probably remain a mystery.

His personal story however will always be an inspiration.
Lumpy Talbot;
There is a legend around Cambridge, the truth of which I cannot vouch for, that in the early stages of his illness Professor Hawking liked to go out and about same as anyone.

It is said that he turned up in a nightclub queue in his wheelchair and this being in the days before wheelchair access the bouncers at the door said they couldn't let him in.

So it is reported that he wheeled his chair away and promptly re-joined the queue at the back again in the hope they wouldn't recognise him a second time
Hollandia;
It's rare these days that we can speak of someone who has contributed in such way to our understanding of the universe and of our very existence. Of someone who has extended the boundary of knowledge in such a huge and accessible way. Truly a great man, an epithet that is often bandied about without any recourse to the truth, but one that is fully deserved in this instance.
eoganach;
Oh fvck.

This is sad news, the world is without a genius.

RIP.

A genuine hero.
Statsema1;
Goodbye Professor Hawking. You'll be missed.
More here,http://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/262599-stephen-hawkins-dead.html

Telstar 62

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star.

But we can understand the Universe.

That makes us something very special.

- STEPHEN HAWKING

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies