Sterling hits 75p to euro

forest

Yes
Death to Sterling

fergalr

seabhcan said:
It crossed the rubicon a few moments ago. Its down hill from here.
That's some jump!

qtman

White Horse, do you have a stash of old Irish pounds?

Are you going to go up to Belfast when the exchange rate hits .7876 and demand that shopkeepers exchange them for good and services?

seabhcan said:
Gosh that's... terrible? Assume, please, that you're the only smart person on this site and that you have to explain the implications of this to mere children. What's the big deal so?

MookieBaylock

this is huge news..

shows that Britain not joining the Euro was a huge mistake and that Blair was right to hold that as his biggest regret.

It also means that when they do join, they´ll come in at a lower rate.

in addition, it affects their holidaymaking classes (they might not be so arrogant about how cheap Spain or Italy are in future) and proves that Frankfurt is winning the war against the city of London..

Viva Europa!

seabhcan

905 said:
seabhcan said:
Gosh that's... terrible? Assume, please, that you're the only smart person on this site and that you have to explain the implications of this to mere children. What's the big deal so?
Ha ha. I always make that assumption...

I don't think its terrible at all. But it makes UK membership of the Euro more likely long term.

Expect sterling to fall to 85p by the end of 2008.

qtman

905 said:
seabhcan said:
It is pretty significant in the sense that the UK, and particularly NI, is a major trading partner.

It has particular implications for Tourism...and diesel smugglers.

White Horse

qtman said:
White Horse, do you have a stash of old Irish pounds?

Are you going to go up to Belfast when the exchange rate hits .7876 and demand that shopkeepers exchange them for good and services?
I kept one of each notes for sentimental reasons. :cry:

I've been bringing my euros to the north for some time now to get value for money, so .7876 won't change much.

I think .7876 would be milestone, though of no economic significance in itself.

White Horse

MookieBaylock said:
this is huge news..

shows that Britain not joining the Euro was a huge mistake and that Blair was right to hold that as his biggest regret.

It also means that when they do join, they´ll come in at a lower rate.

in addition, it affects their holidaymaking classes (they might not be so arrogant about how cheap Spain or Italy are in future) and proves that Frankfurt is winning the war against the city of London..

Viva Europa!
It is not exactly bad news for the UK. They are still strong against the dollar so essential energy prices aren't adversely affected.

Their exports to Europe will be more competitive and imports from the eurozone discouraged by being more expensive.

I doubt Gordon Brown will care that Mr & Mrs Smith from Dagenham cannot afford to go on holiday to Malaga this year.

MookieBaylock

oh i think he will.. mr and mrs smith can vote man!

fact is if they had joined the euro 5 years ago they could have come in at 0.62 or thereabouts.. it means that now the Euro is becoming the global standard that British people have lost over 20pc of their spending power in a short time..

kerrynorth

Feck the UK. The impact upon us here is potentially massive for both exporters and domestic suppliers.

White Horse

seabhcan said:
kerrynorth said:
Feck the UK. The impact upon us here is potentially massive for both exporters and domestic suppliers.
Very true.

Companies in the UK have effectively dropped their prices by 15% in the last 12 months.
More reasons why Aer Lingus and other Irish companies will transfer operations to Northern Ireland. I stand by my earlier point that this is good news for the UK.

geraghd

its still only says 0.742 on my laptop...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies