• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

stocking up for GoodFriday

Carl Claudius

I see Good Friday is coming up, a day when alcohol is not sold. Do people still stock up in the offi the night before and nightclubs open on the stroke of midnight?

for some odd reason it is available at train stations and on board ships.

Are people peeved with the day cos they are told they cannot drink or cannot possibly go out without boozing? Remember the outcry when a rugby match was specially organised to coincide with this so alcohol would have to be available. Afterall you cannot have a rugby match without alcohol.

greengoose2

I see Good Friday is coming up, a day when alcohol is not sold. Do people still stock up in the offi the night before and nightclubs open on the stroke of midnight?

Are people peeved with the day cos they are told they cannot drink or cannot possibly go out without boozing? Remember the outcry when a rugby match was specially organised to coincide with this so alcohol would have to be available. Afterall you cannot have a rugby match without alcohol.
Judging from the results of the Irish team effort in the recent 6 nations, it's an essential commodity to help drown one's sorrows!

Clanrickard

Resteraunts and hotels sell it. I know a few Muslim places who open up for a few swifties with the curry.

Carl Claudius

Resteraunts and hotels sell it. I know a few Muslim places who open up for a few swifties with the curry.
this gets more bizarre. how can they sell it and pubs cannot?

I remember years ago when the guards in Galway found people illegally drinking in a restaurant and Judge Mary Fahy threw the case out of court cos she did not agree with the law (Mary love thats not your job).

Carl Claudius

Easy on the eye? Get a grip!
jaysus, I should have looked at the pictures before speaking. There are more men than I am though Drico and his mates look as if they moisturise and more interested in their appearance than playing the game.

Analyzer

I have to admit I find it strange that there are any days in which alcohol is not sold in Arter's little miserable Island.

It is almost compulsory.

Carl Claudius

It had to laugh when I bumped into a group of English hens who were just over for the night-Good Friday and had no idea no booze would be served. Maybe the exemption should be lifted for tourists?

Aindriu

In this day and age it is ridiculous to still have this archaic law in place. Pubs should be allowed to open and sell alcohol. If a holy joe doesn't want to drink that's fine - it's their choice. They shouldn't stop those who do not believe the Christian story from having a drink or three if they wish to. Re post #9 above, I wonder how much revenue is lost because of the law?

daveL

What is it with some people? They mightn't drink for 10 Fridays in a row but as soon as someone tells them that they can't drink; they must 'stock up'

idiots

Last edited:

Carl Claudius

In this day and age it is ridiculous to still have this archaic law in place. Pubs should be allowed to open and sell alcohol. If a holy joe doesn't want to drink that's fine - it's their choice. They shouldn't stop those who do not believe the Christian story from having a drink or three if they wish to. Re post #9 above, I wonder how much revenue is lost because of the law?
true enough but it also shows how dependent we are on alcohol and the main reason tourists come to Dublin is to go on the piss.Paddy and his pint.

Its similar with Sunday trading. I know a lot of families who would be at a loss at how to spend their Sunday afternoon if the shops were closed.

Ribeye

Ahhh Good Friday,

Best drinkin day of the year,

Fck you peado RCC coqsuckers,

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I have to admit I find it strange that there are any days in which alcohol is not sold in Arter's little miserable Island.

It is almost compulsory.
I'm sure government will introduce the end of no-alcohol Good Fridays as they can collect more tax. I mean why stop collecting money on Good Friday?, think of all the luvely tax dosh to be had from the beer lovers among us.

Carl Claudius

I'm sure government will introduce the end of no-alcohol Good Fridays as they can collect more tax. I mean why stop collecting money on Good Friday?, think of all the luvely tax dosh to be had from the beer lovers among us.
I can't help but feel making money, boozing and shopping were the root of the rottenness of the celtic tiger. Is there quality of life without these three?

wombat

Ahhh Good Friday,

I remember a cousin of mine went for a pint on Easter Saturday, maybe 30 years ago,
He ordered 2 pints of Guinness - "Sorry, we're out of Guinness, yesterday was a closed day":lol:

Rocky

I've never really drank on the day and if you can't go one Friday without drinking I think you have an issue. On a political basis I don't really care that much either way and I'm not up in arms about it and I won't be up in arms if it's changed either.

Eventually I think it will be changed though, firstly because the pub lobby is quite strong and they naturally don't like it and secondly because it does cost the state money in tax. At that I think Shatter does have bigger things on his mind these days.

Carl Claudius

Ahhh Good Friday,

Fck you peado RCC coqsuckers,
I do hope the mods respond to this. It is these kind of gutter comments that give the impression about the maturity level here on politics.ie .

Analyzer

I've never really drank on the day and if you can't go one Friday without drinking I think you have an issue. On a political basis I don't really care that much either way and I'm not up in arms about it and I won't be up in arms if it's changed either.

Eventually I think it will be changed though, firstly because the pub lobby is quite strong and they naturally don't like it and secondly because it does cost the state money in tax. At that I think Shatter does have bigger things on his mind these days.
You are correct. Vested interests are powerful. And not just formal power, but even more, they have informal power.

The informal power of the drinks lobby can be very insiduous. Especially in a society where deceit is regarded as morally superior to truth.

Ribeye

I do hope the mods respond to this. It is these kind of gutter comments that give the impression about the maturity level here on politics.ie .
Wait, what?

It's true, drinkin on good Friday is the best, when I was younger we always played football in the morning, then had a BBQ and a house party,

It was like a tradition, great fun,,

Maybe you didn't enjoy Good Friday, but I don't think that's any reason to get the mods involved???

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies