Stop badgering the badgers

statsman

In a moment of unexpected common sense, it seems that the Dept of Agriculture has come to its senses regarding the cruel, wasteful and unworkable effort to prevent TB by killing all the badgers in the country. Michael Creed has announced that the focus of policy will now shift to a programme of vaccination instead:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/state-moves-away-from-killing-badgers-and-will-vaccinate-them-instead-1.3355996

The IWT noted that the development comes 27 years after vaccination of badgers was first mooted as a possible solution in addressing the disease in that animal.

It said that while badgers are nominally a protected species, Department of Agriculture figures show that in some 6,161 badgers were “slaughtered” in 2016, including nursing mothers, and this left young to starve in their underground setts.
So, the question now has to be 'who will bad farmers blame next?

D

Deleted member 17573

In a moment of unexpected common sense, it seems that the Dept of Agriculture has come to its senses regarding the cruel, wasteful and unworkable effort to prevent TB by killing all the badgers in the country. Michael Creed has announced that the focus of policy will now shift to a programme of vaccination instead:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/state-moves-away-from-killing-badgers-and-will-vaccinate-them-instead-1.3355996

So, the question now has to be 'who will bad farmers blame next?
Very glad to see this - but surely the fact that a vaccination programme is being undertaken vindicates the view of farmers that badgers are a source of TB infection in cattle?

statsman

Very glad to see this - but surely the fact that a vaccination programme is being undertaken vindicates the view of farmers that badgers are a source of TB infection in cattle?
It placates, but I'm not sure it vindicates.

Man or Mouse

I worked adjacent to farmers for years, some of whom fell into that category. Actually, they were very good farmers from the standpoint of making money, but when it came to spending it? Hell no. They'd prefer to leave a dead animal rot in the corner of a field than pay to have it picked up.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of sounds emit from the Independent from Roscommon, Fitzmaurice, in regard to this.

D

Deleted member 17573

It placates, but I'm not sure it vindicates.
You think there is good evidence from veterinary sources that demonstrates that badgers are not responsible for at least some of the infection?

Dearghoul

You think there is good evidence from veterinary sources that demonstrates that badgers are not responsible for at least some of the infection?
Depends whether you mean as carriers from bovine to bovine or originators.

Which is it?

Dearghoul

Is it possible to distinguish - are they, for example, different strains of the disease?
Not so far as I'm aware, distinct strains, between the badger and bovine hosts.

I believe that bovine TB spread from cattle to badgers initially.

D

Deleted member 17573

Not so far as I'm aware, distinct strains, between the badger and bovine hosts.

I believe that bovine TB spread from cattle to badgers initially.
Is there scientific evidence to support this view?

Cellachán Chaisil

Finally protecting badgers from cows, instead of the other way around.

Dearghoul

Thanks - I think we should note this statement:

"This study acknowledges, like all previous work in this area, that the data fails to provide any conclusive evidence of direction of transmission between species"
Cautious proviso duly noted.

You'll see what the study tends to suggest however.

Cruimh

Does it? The only thing it suggests is that the Ministry has realised that Cattle with TB can infect some Badgers. It does not mean or prove that the infection can pass in the other direction.

D

Deleted member 17573

Does it? The only thing it suggests is that the Ministry has realised that Cattle with TB can infect some Badgers. It does not mean or prove that the infection can pass in the other direction.
I'm not sure how you can reconcile that view with this statement from the report.

Thanks - I think we should note this statement:

"This study acknowledges, like all previous work in this area, that the data fails to provide any conclusive evidence of direction of transmission between species"
I think there is a danger of casting this issue in anthropomorphic terms, within which there is a tendency to regard the badger as the "innocent party". Having said that, I am certainly very happy to see vaccination replace culling. The ideal would be cattle vaccination but there are apparently some problems (EU regulations?) with this.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies