Stop flashing oncoming vehicles and let the gardai do their job?

Krusty Cork

Why flashing your lights to warn of Garda check points may actually help criminals
Our Road Safety experts urges: stop flashing oncoming vehicles and let the gardai do their job

I was browsing the newspaper shelves in a shop in west Cork recently, when a headline in one of the local magazines grabbed my attention. It read: 'Garda Chief defends checkpoints.'
The journalist had asked the local chief superintendent if he was aware of the "fear and annoyance that existed amongst motorists" after having a breathalyser stuck into their mouths as they went to town to shop.
The chief superintendent defended the increase in checkpoints over recent weeks and highlighted that drink-driving checks involved only part of their activity.

I was surprised by the view in the article that people would be annoyed at being breathalysed or be concerned at an increase in the level of enforcement. If you don't have alcohol in your system what have you to worry about?
I wonder just how prevalent such a view is in the community.

I was also surprised given the road casualty figures for Cork. While fatal crashes in Donegal tend to grab the headlines, there are other counties experiencing higher levels of road trauma. And Cork is one of them.
Last year, there were 22 people killed on the roads in Cork, almost double the number killed in Co Donegal. Cork features at the top of the list for fatal crashes linked to defective tyres, speeding and alcohol. In fact, it was the number one county for alcohol-related fatal crashes. This is based on our Pre-Crash Reports, which examined Garda files of forensic investigations.

Given these disturbing facts, the article clearly shows the local gardai are responding to these findings and have ramped up their policing activity. For this they should be commended. They are keeping our communities safe.
The local chief superintendent also said something in the article I hadn't heard before. I've written previously here about the problem of people flashing oncoming drivers, to warn about a GoSafe van or Garda checkpoint up ahead. The Garda chief superintendent gave an argument against this behaviour that was compelling.

In defending the increase in enforcement activity, he said: "There has been a major reduction in crime in this division since we stepped up checkpoints." But he added that motorists who flashed lights at oncoming vehicles to warn them of a Garda presence served to alert criminal gangs coming into west Cork.
He said the gardai had a number of cases where they were on the brink of intercepting gangs coming from Cork city and other counties, only to be thwarted in their efforts to apprehend them by motorists who alerted the criminals to their presence on the road.

So there you have it: Flashing your lights at other motorists could be alerting criminal gangs and preventing the gardai from stopping them breaking into the homes of "defenceless old people around the country", as the chief superintendent put it.
So is the driver who flashes at the motorists heading towards the safety camera van or Garda checkpoint up ahead really doing everyone a favour? I don't think so.

Whether it's the camera van or a checkpoint, they are there to prevent death and injury on our roads. Warning others of their presence is not doing a public service.

Why flashing your lights to warn of Garda check points may actually help criminals - Independent.ie

Interesting article

I would have thought the point about 'safety vans' is to get people to slow down?

Motorist slows down, no points, happy days

Can't see too many times where criminals will be tipped off as opposed to normal motorists

Fullforward

If I pass by a checkpoint I ALWAYS warn others.

PBP voter

Fantastic stuff.

An uninsured driver or two gets away. Then we all pay for it.
Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland says there are 150000 uninsured drivers on Irish roads.

mr_anderson

Certainly in Dublin, I've noticed Garda checkpoints are positioned in areas where you cannot escape i.e. one-way streets or dual carriageways.

I've also noticed a that there are usually garda motorcyclists ready to chase any one who tries to do a runner.

LookWhoItIs

Certainly in Dublin, I've noticed Garda checkpoints are positioned in areas where you cannot escape i.e. one-way streets or dual carriageways.

I've also noticed a that there are usually garda motorcyclists ready to chase any one who tries to do a runner.
I'm all for catching DUI drivers- stateside the local Police have to post a notice of when and where they are going to be carrying out a checkpoint, otherwise a reason is needed to stop someone - word gets around

D

Deleted member 17573

I'll stop when
1) the Gardai cut out their practice of shooting fish in a barrel
2) we stop putting speed limits on crossroads where 3/4 houses have been built. A small cluster of houses at the side of a main road do not make a town.

The Field Marshal

T here is a strong argument that by so doing you are helping the gardai to enforce the law because if some motorists are indeed breaking the speed limit they will then cease from so doing when they see you warning them..

Fullforward

T here is a strong argument that by so doing you are helping the gardai to enforce the law because if some motorists are indeed breaking the speed limit they will then cease from so doing when they see you warning them..
No, I am just warning all my fellow law-breakers that they need to lie for 30 seconds and then go o about their Pirate ways!

damus

It's interesting to watch the change in human behaviour in the Port Tunnel since their speed camera's went live...particularly the number of vehicles, lorries and buses who slow down and stick within the 80kph speed limit and then start speeding up breaking the limit the minute that they exit. The flyover at UCD is notorious for the checkpoints....easy picking.

paddycomeback

If the Garda Siochana weren't a completely discredited organisation maybe the public might have more respect for them.

GDPR

I'll flash oncoming cars with one exception, the tossers doing 100 miles an hour in suped up Mitsubishi's, or ************************ers in beamers/merc/audi's etc, I figure they deserve to be done.

Mad as Fish

Sounds like the scheme ain't bringing in the money it was supposed to.

The only places I see them are on open roads where speed is unlikely to be the issue that it is in built up areas. But never mind eh, just as soon as we are tracked and monitore...., sorry, connected, they won't be needed as big data will be watching from the cloud.

JimmyFoley

Flash away, but don't then complain about drunk drivers or traveller gangs thieving around the country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies