• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Stop our poorest pensioners freezing to death this winter


ManOnTheDitch

New member
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
1
Did anybody see the piece in the Sunday Business Post yesterday about older people being unable to heat their homes this winter?
Have a read at

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story ... qqqx=1.asp

It shocked me that up to 2,000 older people could die this winter because they cannot afford to heat their homes. Yeah, sure my bills are likely to go through the roof as well, but we will make do. But if you are surviving on the pension, it can't be easy. And with the Budget coming up, it is the time to shout out. I used to do a little work with the SVP and we came across some really sad cases all the time. They are there all the time, but sometimes when we are all doing ok it is easy to forget about them. But I guess those sad cases are still there. They are going to be in for a tough winter.

Age Action are pushing the issue, it seems, and are taking up a e-petition, which I have just signed. It is at http://www.ageaction.ie. Lots of facts and figures with it. If you feel the same way, I would encourage you to do the same. All it costs is two minutes to log on.

Of course, in the longer run we have got to do something about insulating all homes. There are a lot of old houses out there. Many have damn all insulation in them. Unfortunately, they are often the houses many of the older people I came across in the past live in. Until we get a proper home insulation programme established which can tackle all these older properties within a three to five year period we are wasting our time. It is not just a matter of preventing suffering for the older inhabitants, it is also about helping them make the most out of whatever fuel allowance or social welfare allowance the State gives them. Otherwise, when the carbon taxes come in, these people will be penalised on the double.

Enough of my ramblings, sign the petition.
 

zakalwe

Active member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
171
Petition smetition.

don't sign that and then go away thinking you've done your bit.

this winter, befriend an elderly neighbour and help them through it. its not that hard, and you'll actually feel great. also, in 50 years time, it might be you needing the help and company.

its not that hard to add insulation to a house, and a roll of rockwool isn't that expensive.
 

southsider32

New member
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
4
I agree no point signing a petition, do something useful such as sign up to Friends of the Elderly etc. Do gooders who do no good are hardly do gooders just empty vessels. Plus we have a Minister for Old People...time for her to speak out on this issue...
 

SPN

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
16,889
This is a very important issue!

The Government are likely to bring in a major insulation programme targetted in the first instance at vulnerable groups. We ran a pilot programme last year which saw 400 homes of people on fuel allowance receive proper insulation, and, in some cases, new boilers. It was a huge success - moreso in rural areas for some reason.

The sooner the Government bring in the Carbon Levy the better. This will see SUV drivers subsidise fuel poverty measures in a very efficient way.

In the meantime, I think we should be looking at co-ordinating measures at Community level to make sure that all necessary steps are taken to prevent any unnecessary deaths.
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
22,911
So how many people froze to death in Ireland per year in last 20 years.

Given that the Govt already provides fuel allowances then what then ?

Should the govt spend taxpayers money on private dwellings with no chance of return ?
 

Timeisshort

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
68
zakalwe said:
Petition smetition.

don't sign that and then go away thinking you've done your bit.

this winter, befriend an elderly neighbour and help them through it. its not that hard, and you'll actually feel great. also, in 50 years time, it might be you needing the help and company.

its not that hard to add insulation to a house, and a roll of rockwool isn't that expensive.

Well said. Occam's razor strikes again :D
 

Harpo

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
76
Maybe we could nationalise the corrib gas field and provide cheap cost price gas to the poor and elderly? Sorry I forgot, the government doesn't give a damn about the poor
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
34,801
Burn some young people, there's too many of them anyway.

*shakes walking stick*
 

zakalwe

Active member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
171
odie1kanobe said:
So how many people froze to death in Ireland per year in last 20 years.

Given that the Govt already provides fuel allowances then what then ?

Should the govt spend taxpayers money on private dwellings with no chance of return ?
you're missing the point. poor insulation/inadequate heating kills through respiratory illnesses in winter. the old and very young are suseptible. its not like people are freezing to death a la jack nicholson in the shining!

dampness increases funguses and mould which produce spores in the air, which cause respiratory illnesses. not to mention pneumonia and flu which can be debilitating if you're elderly and living in a cold house.

help your elderly neighbour. go around their house (with their permission of course!!!) and check the windows and doors for draughts, check that the insulation is adequate, check that the vents are uncovered, drop in a bale of briquettes every now and then (only about Eur5 or so).
 

Aindriu

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
8,702
SPN said:
The sooner the Government bring in the Carbon Levy the better. This will see SUV drivers subsidise fuel poverty measures in a very efficient way.
No it won't, it will just see Govt coffers increase. The govt don't give a feck about the old as they are no longer paying anything to them in taxes by and large.
 

Harpo

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
76
odie1kanobe said:
So how many people froze to death in Ireland per year in last 20 years.

Given that the Govt already provides fuel allowances then what then ?

Should the govt spend taxpayers money on private dwellings with no chance of return ?
The purpose of the government is supposed to be to look after it's people, not to make a return on investments you imbecile.
 

zakalwe

Active member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
171
Harpo said:
odie1kanobe said:
So how many people froze to death in Ireland per year in last 20 years.

Given that the Govt already provides fuel allowances then what then ?

Should the govt spend taxpayers money on private dwellings with no chance of return ?
The purpose of the governemnt is supposed to be to look after it's people, not to make a return on investments you imbecile.
well said!
 

SPN

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
16,889
Aindriu said:
SPN said:
The sooner the Government bring in the Carbon Levy the better. This will see SUV drivers subsidise fuel poverty measures in a very efficient way.
No it won't, it will just see Govt coffers increase. The govt don't give a feck about the old as they are no longer paying anything to them in taxes by and large.
The Carbon Levy will be Revenue Neutral, and the money taken in from Fossil Fuel users will be used to reduce demand, or develop non polluting alternatives.
 

wysiwyg

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
366
odie1kanobe said:
So how many people froze to death in Ireland per year in last 20 years.

Given that the Govt already provides fuel allowances then what then ?

Should the govt spend taxpayers money on private dwellings with no chance of return ?
Actually freezing to death isn't the biggest problem. The onset of other ailments due to not beung kept adequately warm is more of an issue.


http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121221.htm

It is widely accepted that the onset of stroke is exacerbated by a lowering of core body temperature for example

If you are to spin out your argument into a purely economic one, then you could say that the resources which are put towards the health care of patients should be weighed against the cost of minimising such healthcare problems... and for good measure, factor in some of the human costs to boot
 

Aindriu

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
8,702
SPN said:
Aindriu said:
SPN said:
The sooner the Government bring in the Carbon Levy the better. This will see SUV drivers subsidise fuel poverty measures in a very efficient way.
No it won't, it will just see Govt coffers increase. The govt don't give a feck about the old as they are no longer paying anything to them in taxes by and large.
The Carbon Levy will be Revenue Neutral, and the money taken in from Fossil Fuel users will be used to reduce demand, or develop non polluting alternatives.
With our gombeen politicians I will believe that when I see it happen and not before!
 

SPN

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
16,889
Aindriu said:
SPN said:
Aindriu said:
SPN said:
The sooner the Government bring in the Carbon Levy the better. This will see SUV drivers subsidise fuel poverty measures in a very efficient way.
No it won't, it will just see Govt coffers increase. The govt don't give a feck about the old as they are no longer paying anything to them in taxes by and large.
The Carbon Levy will be Revenue Neutral, and the money taken in from Fossil Fuel users will be used to reduce demand, or develop non polluting alternatives.
With our gombeen politicians I will believe that when I see it happen and not before!
The problem isn't the gombeen politicians - they are pretty much in agreement that we urgently need a carbon levy - but with the officials in the Department of Finance who cannot comprehend the concept of a ring-fenced tax.

It won't happen until they have been broken.
 

politicaldonations

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2006
Messages
683
Sensationalist drivel. Stick a jumper on and eat a hot meal. Old people get fuel allowance don't they? If someone passes away due to the "cold" of an Irish winter then they were'nt long for this world anyway.
 

Harpo

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
76
politicaldonations said:
Sensationalist drivel. Stick a jumper on and eat a hot meal. Old people get fuel allowance don't they? If someone passes away due to the "cold" of an Irish winter then they were'nt long for this world anyway.
Okey doke Scrouge.
 

expat girl

Active member
Joined
May 26, 2007
Messages
141
SPN said:
The Carbon Levy will be Revenue Neutral, and the money taken in from Fossil Fuel users will be used to reduce demand, or develop non polluting alternatives.
Is the carbon levy about to wing its way to us in the eagerly anticipated October Budget, or are they still procrastinating?? I also think they should raise the VRT on Band G vehicles to 10K a year... 2 grand is nothing to some of the Ross O' Carroll Kelly types I seem to have to share South Dublin's narrow roads with.

Axles of eeeevil!!! Tax the phuckers. That should raise enough revenue to keep the old folks warm.... and before any gas guzzler fans start throwing brickbats and complaining about the needs of large families, there are plenty of seven seaters in bands E and F. There is NO reason for anyone to be driving anything on suburban roads that emits more than 200g Co2/km max.

Redistribution...NOW. The laissez faire market capitalism no regulations stuff just serves to widen the great wealth divide. You'd have thought we'd have learnt that from the Great Famine.....but no.
 
Top