Stop running down the systems that work - all is not lost

Reasunach

'There is a fist coming... and you can

It's easy to be cynical about our systems but, given the right resolve, some of them DO work. I'm going to go out on a limb here. While I empathise with anyone who has been on the receiving end of domestic abuse (female or male) publicly using the excuse that you don't have faith in the justice system is only going to put off others from seeking help.

Personally, from my own experience, once I took the steps required (less than onerous and open to everyone) and applied for a protection order to be put in place, the Gardai, the Courts and the social services could not have been more helpful. The problem is that it takes strength to go to the services in the first place, to admit that maybe your trust or your love was misguided. Pride can be a terrible barrier.

Articles like the one above don't help to build confidence that the help is there. It is. Kudos to the lady that she managed to escape eventually, but damaged people find it very difficult to trust others.

That does not mean that the help is not there. Unfortunately you don't read many media articles about how people have managed to escape intolerable situations with the help of the authorities, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Would I go public about it? Probably not. But only because it is now resolved and I have no need to seek attention, as opposed to assistance which I do avail of.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies