Stop the liberalisation of An Post: www.protectyourpost.ie

mistercrabs

i'm really torn on this one.

While i agree in concept with state-provided services; my experiences with An Post, Irish Rail and Dublin Bus leave me willing for their complete dismantling.
I think the state should provide health care and education, but the state is completely crap at providing all the above services. Specifically, An Post must the slowest, least efficient postal service in Europe (besides Italy's) and is definitely one of the most expensive - so expensive that it's impossible to sell anything on Ebay weighing more than 100g because you'd end up charging three times the value for postage.

D

Dylan2010

Young people these days do far less than many elderly cyclist climbing mountains in the west.

Only a few young people use skateboards yet costly facilities are built for them which are left unused 90% percent of the time.
no problem with that, people should pay for the services they use. The USSR fell apart because they couldnt price a nail versus a sofa versus a car tyre. In Ireland we put up with poor services because there isnt a "price" for skateboard parks versus clean beaches versus cycle tracks, you cant run an economy on brown envelopes and the will of the mouthiest politician or councellor to get their little pork barrel project through

Baron von Biffo

The postal services bill will be debated by the House next week. This bill seeks to open up the postal market. This could be a disaster for both staff and the paying public. As surely what will happen is the cost of a stamp will go up, and the frequency of service,especially in rural Ireland will decrease. For staff there will be job losses, reduced pay and conditions.
Furthermore there will be cherrypicking of profiterable routes. More temporary shorterm staff will be employed (social dumping)
The USO (universal service obligation) will be put under huge threat. This USO is a legal guarantee that every household/business in the country can send and recieve a delivery of post every working day. An Post subsidises this service in Rural Ireland.
The CWU (postal workers union) wants a moratorium on the implementation of liberalisation, until a proper study has been taken of the social effects of this policy. In particular legisalation in the area of social dumping/low paid jobs.
Cherry-picking, loss of service in rural areas, higher prices for lower quality - What you're saying is exactly the sort of scaremongering the unions came out with when Eircom was being privatised and none of it was true then. Oh wait a minute...

Baddaddy

I thought the packaging part of the postal market was already deregulated.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiments that post being delivered to rural eldery older people as important (social aspect) but I have a feeling that the cost maybe a bit high.

Perhaps these peoples post could be distributed by community groups or delivered every couple of days.

On the wider debate, I'm undecided on any privatistion of semi states at the moment, the prices achieved would be a fraction of what the true value given the state we find ourselves in. I do however agree with competition, and feel it should be introduced, but I can't honestly say how this could be done without having a determental effect on costly services in financial terms, but socially very important.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
no problem with that, people should pay for the services they use. The USSR fell apart because they couldnt price a nail versus a sofa versus a car tyre. In Ireland we put up with poor services because there isnt a "price" for skateboard parks versus clean beaches versus cycle tracks, you cant run an economy on brown envelopes and the will of the mouthiest politician or councellor to get their little pork barrel project through
Carnegie's library idea was a wonderful example of how (often illgotten) profits can be used to provide services for the whole community.

Middle class Malahide has a thriving library in an area where the vast majority of people using it could easily afford to purchase books.

I like our cheerful localpostmen/women often working in freezing weather who are a very important part of out lives. Modernise by all means. But keep your heart.

D

Dylan2010

Carnegie's library idea was a wonderful example of how (often illgotten) profits can be used to provide services for the whole community.

Middle class Malahide has a thriving library in an area where the vast majority of people using it could easily afford to purchase books.

I like our cheerful localpostmen/women often working in freezing weather who are a very important part of out lives. Modernise by all means. But keep your heart.
sounds sentimental. I'm a big fan of local involvement however. As a parent my kids are members of 3 or4 of the local clubs , we help out at school as I feel "invested" in it. What the postman does or doesnt do is as much concern to me as the travails of the local Tesco workers. Heaping undue praise on an outmoded institution doesnt help. We dont live in an episode of Postman Pat! :D

Bobert

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
sounds sentimental. I'm a big fan of local involvement however. As a parent my kids are members of 3 or4 of the local clubs , we help out at school as I feel "invested" in it. What the postman does or doesnt do is as much concern to me as the travails of the local Tesco workers. Heaping undue praise on an outmoded institution doesnt help. We dont live in an episode of Postman Pat! :D
I'm a ferocious sentimentalist.

My children when youngsters wrote letters to all the embassies in the UK and received dozens of letters in reply. They contained messages from some of the Ambassadors, loads of glossy literature, and foreign stamps. They thought it was Christmas!

Postmen have brought us letters from Elvis Presley, Kate Bush, Movie stars, a Presidents daughter, an aristocrat, and even a postcard from Kevin Myers. :)

Paddythai

My experience with an Post over the years has been very bad.

I get packages sent from overseas to me about once a week. And although I am at home they insist on leaving a card telling me to collect parcel from an Post office in Limerick. This I cannot do till the next day. When I drive there I am not allowed through the gates to the near empty car park and have to find legal parking outside.

I complain everytime but am curtly told to complain to the mamagement. Aftetr loads of calls I am told no one was at home.

I now insist all my suppliers use couriers. They ring me on my mobile to ensure I am there before leaving there last delivery point.

cricket

This is EU Law to deregulate the postal sector, it is out of the hands of government.
AFAIK , it's up to each government to decide the level of deregulation in their own country.
In Britain , which has a completely open market for a few years now , the service is falling to pieces and the basic fee for a letter is going up from 41p to 46p soon.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
AFAIK , it's up to each government to decide the level of deregulation in their own country.
In Britain , which has a completely open market for a few years now , the service is falling to pieces and the basic fee for a letter is going up from 41p to 46p soon.
Letters fron the UK in Envelopes with First class stamps affixed arrive weeks late from Continental Europe, where they have been redirected because of insufficient postage!!!

patslatt

Manager's opinion

The postal services bill will be debated by the House next week. This bill seeks to open up the postal market. This could be a disaster for both staff and the paying public. As surely what will happen is the cost of a stamp will go up, and the frequency of service,especially in rural Ireland will decrease. For staff there will be job losses, reduced pay and conditions.
Furthermore there will be cherrypicking of profiterable routes. More temporary shorterm staff will be employed (social dumping)
The USO (universal service obligation) will be put under huge threat. This USO is a legal guarantee that every household/business in the country can send and recieve a delivery of post every working day. An Post subsidises this service in Rural Ireland.
The CWU (postal workers union) wants a moratorium on the implementation of liberalisation, until a proper study has been taken of the social effects of this policy. In particular legisalation in the area of social dumping/low paid jobs.
A former manager of An Post told me that the level of discipline and union work practices are atrocius.

mido

I can see the green supporting it on the grounds that it will cut carbon emissions if rural communities only get post once a week- and they will probably be against that also as those folk only spoil nature for city dwellers and not getting their eu cheque might encourage them to leave

redneck

A former manager of An Post told me that the level of discipline and union work practices are atrocius.
I suppose this manager sorted and delivered mail with his mouth, sitting at a desk, watching a PC (Facebook?) Well for some.

Seanie Lemass

What has happened to the postal bill? It went through Seanad and was to come to Dáil and I thought had to be passed before January ist in order to comply with the EU directive.

Is it the case that the Government is instead waiting for the McCarthy report which will recommend selling it? In which case the directive is not really relevant anymore.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies