• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Stopping in Hard Shoulders on Motorways

HanleyS

I've noticed an extra-ordinary number of drivers pulled in on the sides of motorways over the Christmas break while I've been in Ireland. I'm not sure these drivers realise how dangerous it is to be pulled in on the side of a motorway. Are cars in Ireland more prone to break down or are the drivers ignorant to the danger they are placing themselves in? I'd hate to think they're pulled in to use the phone, it could even be safer to drive and talk.

The below crash while not on a motorway is still fresh in my mind:
RTÉ News: Baby critical after Meath crash

Ah Well

Either people still don't realise/or care it's a penalty point offence to be in the hard shoulder area thus ... or else it's not being enforced .. or perhaps both

Ah Well

You're onto something there alright.
Yep - it's a penalty point offence (1 on the spot - 3 in Court) to be driving in the hard shoulder ... I'm not sure if there's any penalty point offence for being stopped in the hard shoulder - prob not

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Yep - it's a penalty point offence (1 on the spot - 3 in Court) to be driving in the hard shoulder ... I'm not sure if there's any penalty point offence for being stopped in the hard shoulder - prob not
I thought that's was one of the reasons that the hard shoulder was there, to facilitate safe stopping when absolutely necessary on a fast road.

I could be wrong.

orbit

Given the lack of service areas and even places to legally stop, I wonder is the offence enforceable legally? It is dangerous though.

B

Boggle

Pulling over to the hard shoulder to allow people to pass on normal national roads is my personal pet hate.
Not doing so is mine. If your holding up a queue of traffic, its far safer to pull over and let it pass than have a queue of angry, frustrated drivers who will eventually try to pass at just the wrong time.
Seen hundreds of near misses from this and none from an aware driver pulling in to allow traffic past.

southwestkerry

I've noticed an extra-ordinary number of drivers pulled in on the sides of motorways over the Christmas break while I've been in Ireland. I'm not sure these drivers realise how dangerous it is to be pulled in on the side of a motorway. Are cars in Ireland more prone to break down or are the drivers ignorant to the danger they are placing themselves in? I'd hate to think they're pulled in to use the phone, it could even be safer to drive and talk.

Well my hand is up in the air here, when some flippit driving a scooby drives up my tail pipe I tend to pull off. When a jeep doing a scuuy comes in to view I pull over. To top it off when my mobi sings to me... yippp.... I pull up and that it.

ivnryn

Not doing so is mine. If your holding up a queue of traffic, its far safer to pull over and let it pass than have a queue of angry, frustrated drivers who will eventually try to pass at just the wrong time.
Seen hundreds of near misses from this and none from an aware driver pulling in to allow traffic past.
Ideally, holding up traffic should also carry penalty points (maybe 1). Ofc, it would not be enforceable without something like helicopters.

OTOH, the best solution would be motorways between our cities.

Emerald Green

+1

I drive up and down to the South East on a regular basis and am constantly horrified at the lethal overtakings I've seen once you come off the motorway and onto the single lane Leighlinbridge to Waterford stretch. Most, if not all, are triggered by frustrated drivers having to come off a two lane dual carriageway to a near sudden crawl behind somebody doing 40kph or 50kph on a 100kph stretch of road for the next 50 miles.

I would also agree with Orbit in that there are very few places to stop, bar the hard shoulder, if you're feeling tired or need a break for a few minutes.

HanleyS

Educating people that stopping on the side of a motorway to use the phone or take a leak is not a good life decision would be a start. It's not really fair to start fining people if they don't even know that what they've done is wrong.

brughahaha

+1

I drive up and down to the South East on a regular basis and am constantly horrified at the lethal overtakings I've seen once you come off the motorway and onto the single lane Leighlinbridge to Waterford stretch. Most, if not all, are triggered by frustrated drivers having to come off a two lane dual carriageway to a near sudden crawl behind somebody doing 40kph or 50kph on a 100kph stretch of road for the next 50 miles.

I would also agree with Orbit in that there are very few places to stop, bar the hard shoulder, if you're feeling tired or need a break for a few minutes.
+1
Slow drivers are as dangerous as fast ones
Its a throwbak to when everywhere was single lane so it was a courtesy for slower movers to pull over
BTW that stretch after Leighlin bridge was where I saw an old man excercising his greyhound holding the lead out the window and travelling at about 5 mph..... caused at least a 30 car tail back... never forget it...

Now if you want to discuss idiots sitting in the middle lane on the Naas road because they have no idea how to drive on a 3 lane motorway ... Aaarrrgghhhhhhh!!!!! Pet Hate No 1

Tigris Celtica

It's illegal to stop on a motorway, simple as that.
Not if you breakdown it's not....

My pet hate are the muppets who insist on driving in the fast lane and won't pull to the slow lane to let you pass - therby forcing you to undertake them. ( Which is also illegal )

What part of " Keep Left, Pass Right " do they not understand ? .:mad:

orbit

The problem with pulling into the hard shoulder is, apart from the obvious danger to anybody who happens to be in it at the time, is that you can get stuck in it, while the wave of traffic passes, and you end up having to indicate and push your way back on to the carriage way

My thing about this is that the problem isn't really the slow driver at the front. It's the tailgaters behind who prevent people from passing, or force you to pass two or more vehicles at a time.

Tailgating on single-carriage way roads should be illegal (and is in some jurisdictions). If you can't pass within 30-40 seconds then you should be obliged to leave enough space for the driver behind to pass you. If tailgating was illegal, then it could also be made illegal to pass more than one vehicle at a time, and that would be a major improvement to safety imho.

B

Boggle

The problem with pulling into the hard shoulder is, apart from the obvious danger to anybody who happens to be in it at the time, is that you can get stuck in it, while the wave of traffic passes, and you end up having to indicate and push your way back on to the carriage way

My thing about this is that the problem isn't really the slow driver at the front. It's the tailgaters behind who prevent people from passing, or force you to pass two or more vehicles at a time.

Tailgating on single-carriage way roads should be illegal (and is in some jurisdictions). If you can't pass within 30-40 seconds then you should be obliged to leave enough space for the driver behind to pass you. If tailgating was illegal, then it could also be made illegal to pass more than one vehicle at a time, and that would be a major improvement to safety imho.
Its far safer to pull in and let the traffic pass than to not do so. Are you really saying its safer to have cars leapfrogging each other than for one car to pull in and let them pass? On our bendy roads??

Its also very hard not to tailgate when you are stuck for miles behind a slow driver, awaiting the first good overtaking stretch which hasn't had inexplicable solid white lines painted in the middle of the road.

HanleyS

I would think that tailgating is illegal in any circumstances and would result in a careless driving charge.

seabhcan

I noticed the same thing. Very odd - and I'd never noticed it before christmas.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies