Story of Jesus Fabricated Claims US scholar Joseph Atwill

chriskavo

This article caught my attention in today's Belfast Telegraph online. US scholar Joseph Atwill claims that the story of Jesus was created to keep the poor in their place. His studies have lead him to conclude that the whole thing was made up after studying 'The War on the Jews' the only surviving first-person historical account of first-century Judea. In that book he noticed that there were clear parallels and sequences with the New Testament for it to be merely coincidental.

"What seems to have eluded many scholars is that the sequence of events and locations of Jesus ministry are more or less the same as the sequence of events and locations of the military campaign of [Emperor] Titus Flavius as described by Josephus," Atwill claims.

"This is clear evidence of a deliberately constructed pattern"

I have proof story of Jesus Christ was fabricated to pacify and enslave the poor, claims US scholar Joseph Atwill - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Should make for an interesting discussion.

Kev408

Who'da thought that whole fairy tale was made up?

R

Ramps

This article caught my attention in today's Belfast Telegraph online. US scholar Joseph Atwill claims that the story of Jesus was created to keep the poor in their place. His studies have lead him to conclude that the whole thing was made up after studying 'The War on the Jews' the only surviving first-person historical account of first-century Judea. In that book he noticed that there were clear parallels and sequences with the New Testament for it to be merely coincidental.

I have proof story of Jesus Christ was fabricated to pacify and enslave the poor, claims US scholar Joseph Atwill - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

It's nonsense, risible stuff. No one takes this "theory" seriously. There are so many holes in it, it's not even funny.

pippakin

Anyone who takes this guy or the bible seriously has problems.

Cruimh

It didn't lead to any discussion when I posted about Atwill - believers close their eyes ......

chriskavo

It didn't lead to any discussion when I posted about Atwill - believers close their eyes ......
They need the scales to fall from their eyes so that they may see.

jmcc

Wonder if this is anything to do with the theory that Paul/Saul was Josephus?

Nebuchadnezzar

They need the scales to fall from their eyes so that they may see.
Is it not a bit odd relying on a dodgy self styled biblical scholar in your attempts to debunk what you like to characterise as fiction?

R

Ramps

Look, it's nonsense.

Why would the Romans, in the hope of convincing the masses of the benefits of acquiescence, invent a "pacifist" Messiah who ended up getting crucified?!! Ffs... :lol:

ManOfReason

Even the quote you provide takes a flimsy correlation and turns it into 'evidence':

"What seems to have eluded many scholars is that the sequence of events and locations of Jesus ministry are more or less the same as the sequence of events and locations of the military campaign of [Emperor] Titus Flavius as described by Josephus," Atwill claims.

"This is clear evidence of a deliberately constructed pattern"
And isn't he really more a blogger than a scholar. Just a retired computer programmer with too much time on his hands.

lies

Twitter
yes

I think a lot of us will agree that there's plenty in the bible that seems pretty damn fictional...

Nebuchadnezzar

Look, it's nonsense.

Why would the Romans, in the hope of convincing the masses of the benefits of acquiescence, invent a "pacifist" Messiah who ended up getting crucified?!! Ffs... :lol:
And it would seem that Roman "psy ops" were pretty crap given that the most violent episodes in Jewish resistance to Roman rule came after Jesus.

chriskavo

Is it not a bit odd relying on a dodgy self styled biblical scholar in your attempts to debunk what you like to characterise as fiction?

I don't know much about the chap if I am being honest, though it seems to be the consensus around here that he is a bit dodgy.

R

Ramps

And it would seem that Roman "psy ops" were pretty crap given that the most violent episodes in Jewish resistance to Roman rule came after Jesus.
Yes; and the Jesus that the Romans invented, the pacifist Jesus, predicted that the whole political/religious/social compact was going to be torn asunder!

chriskavo

Even the quote you provide takes a flimsy correlation and turns it into 'evidence':

And isn't he really more a blogger than a scholar. Just a retired computer programmer with too much time on his hands.
(Note to self)

Research these self styled scholars before starting thread.

New Threads

Most Replies