Straits of Hormuz

dresden8

So, the US Seventh Fleet.

For a long time we've bought into the fiction of a super efficient wartime through peacetime naval power.

Two modern up to date warships couldn't detect and avoid the approach of large modern extremely huge vessels with all the mod cons of modern navigation.

What chance does the modern US warship have against the low profile explosive filled speed boat driven by a fanatic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fitzgerald_and_MV_ACX_Crystal_collision

One failure is the failure of a single captain or his deck crew.

Two failures in two months? That's systemic. At least of the Fleet leadership or perhaps the entire navy are to blame.

USS John McCain: 'Some remains' of missing 10 sailors found after collision - CNNPolitics

Surely now this reaches up into the higher levels of leadership

I'd say the mad mullahs are breaking their holes laughing tonight.

US Navy protect the straits? They currently can't sail into the commercial port of Singapore without a disaster.

Discuss.

OrderoftheDragon

It certainly does beggar belief that the watch crew didn't see the approaching vessels on both occasions weather electronically or visually and take evasive action.

Catalpast

It certainly does beggar belief that the watch crew didn't see the approaching vessels on both occasions weather electronically or visually and take evasive action.
Sounds to me like defective equipment and overreliance on modern technology over good old fashioned seacraft

- but hey I'm only shooting the breeze

- what do I know!

Bizarre all the same though....:shock:

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
So, the US Seventh Fleet.

For a long time we've bought into the fiction of a super efficient wartime through peacetime naval power.

Two modern up to date warships couldn't detect and avoid the approach of large modern extremely huge vessels with all the mod cons of modern navigation.

What chance does the modern US warship have against the low profile explosive filled speed boat driven by a fanatic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fitzgerald_and_MV_ACX_Crystal_collision

One failure is the failure of a single captain or his deck crew.

Two failures in two months? That's systemic. At least of the Fleet leadership or perhaps the entire navy are to blame.

USS John McCain: 'Some remains' of missing 10 sailors found after collision - CNNPolitics

Surely now this reaches up into the higher levels of leadership

I'd say the mad mullahs are breaking their holes laughing tonight.

US Navy protect the straits? They currently can't sail into the commercial port of Singapore without a disaster.

Discuss.

Trump is a bad leader.

The buck stops with him.

an innocent abroad

It would seem that so much control of these ships, and planes are now controlled by computers that the natural instincts are being doubted by those in control.

They have become so reliant on computers to do their work they doubt they can be wrong.

dresden8

Trump is a bad leader.

The buck stops with him.
Trump is not responsible for radar, sonar and watch rotas on ships. I'm sure he doesn't even understand the individual words, never mind the sentences.

There is something very wrong in the state of Denmark.

It would be very difficult to blame two captains for the very same mistake without at least bringing their admiral into the shame spiral.

My thoughts are that the incompetence goes further.

Just my own thoughts though.

OrderoftheDragon

dresden8

Just to re-iterate, that's two watch crews.

What hope do they have to catch a fncker in a 20 foot speed boat if they're incapable of spotting a 500 foot oil fncking tanker.

I'd say the Iranian marine motor production industry just went on overtime.

Mick Mac

Isn't this the context in which there considering if it's a cyber attack.

They'd probably be laughing but a second later they'd realise there boats are worse.

But the Americans must be wondering how the hell there radar seems to be so crappy.

Elvis jaffacake

dresden8

They'd probably be laughing but a second later they'd realise there boats are worse.

But the Americans must be wondering how the hell there radar seems to be so crappy.
That's the point. The technology is so crappy as to not see a tanker or the personnel is so crap as to not see a tanker.

Either scenario, what chance do they have against a small suicide bomber?

Mick Mac

Elvis jaffacake

You bring up a point that although I doubt had anythign to do with the McCains collision has been raised in MILSEC circles over the last 18 months.

Someone and no one is quite sure who has been intentionally interfering with GPS signals at sea over the last 18 months or so in various areas. It's happened in the Baltic, the Caribbean, the SCS, Indian Ocean and a few other spots..
It might be one country doing it or more but no one is sure, all we do know is it's intentional.

New Threads

Most Replies