Strange goings on in the Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs

ger12

Seems that the top civil service job in Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, a department heavily invested in the Irish language, was advertised without a necessary requirement being fluency in the Irish language.

Tuairisc.ie reported today that the new head of this Department, Katherine Licken, does not have fluency in the Irish language. There was considerable anger when the Taoiseach appointed a senior and junior minister to the department responsible for the Irish language neither of whom speak Irish at a standard that would be required to carry out their functions through Irish. One swift blow followed by another to remove a language from a department set up to support that very language, first by the politicians then by the Civil Service (who I've defended time and time again on this site).

The Irish Times editorial following Joe McHugh's appointment comes to mind.

"How could Taoiseach Enda Kenny have appointed a junior minister with a special responsibility for the Gaeltacht, who lacks an essential qualification for that job – fluency in the State’s first official language? And how could Joe McHugh, who is the Minister of State with that responsibility, have accepted the portfolio? Mr McHugh is hopeful that he can quickly master the language and he yesterday invited the public to “join him on his journey” as he improves his knowledge of the language . Good intentions are, however, not good enough at this level."

So I take it that those now applying for the top job in finance will not be required to have knowledge of finance, maybe promise to take a course?. I don't think so. :roll:

Níl Gaeilge líofa ag Ard-Rúnaí nua na Roinne Gaeltachta, ach socrú déanta cheana aici

Sister Mercedes

The Gaeltacht and the Arts should be in separate departments. Putting them together has meant that every Arts Minister for the past 10 years is from the West or the North.

im axeled

will this mean that the funding will get chopped little by little, as the boss cannot understand what the funding is required for

ger12

The Gaeltacht and the Arts should be in separate departments. Putting them together has meant that every Arts Minister for the past 10 years is from the West or the North.
It's the civil service I'm focusing on here.

Would you expect the top job in the Dept of Finance to go to someone with no knowledge of finance?

Mushroom

I am appalled that the Secretary General for the Department of Defence hasn't got a shotgun licence. Nor can he fly a plane, drive a tank or captain a ship.

And the Secretary-General at the Department of Agriculture doesn't own a farm!

And the Secretary General at the Department of Foreign Affairs has never had an affair, either in or out of Ireland.

And the Secretary General at the Department of Education and Skills isn't a teacher.

And the Secretary General at the Department of Health isn't a nurse.

In short, as ger12 would presumably say (after her third large glass of sherry) we're rightly phucked!

silverharp

Would you expect the top job in the Dept of Finance to go to someone with no knowledge of finance?
its not like all health ministers had a medical degree or all education ministers were academics? she has a vag, don't rock the boat :mad:

Felixness

It's probably considered Populism/Racism or some other form of discrimination now to expect someone who works in Gaeltacht affairs to be able to speak fluent Irish.

T

Toowoomba

Should the top job in Dept of Health go to a Doctor? petunia

ger12

I am appalled that the Secretary General for the Department of Defence hasn't got a shotgun licence. Nor can he fly a plane, drive a tank or captain a ship.

And the Secretary-General at the Department of Agriculture doesn't own a farm!

And the Secretary General at the Department of Foreign Affairs has never had an affair, either in or out of Ireland.

And the Secretary General at the Department of Education and Skills isn't a teacher.

And the Secretary General at the Department of Health isn't a nurse.

In short, as ger12 would presumably say (after her third large glass of sherry) we're rightly phucked!
Knowledge of mushroom, you know, shows you have an interest in and will be able to carry out your function through a language you've been entrusted to support and protect. Like the previous Secretary Generals in this Department.

Maybe I'll look into applying for the same position in Finance, sure why would ya need knowledge of sums and stuff to carry out the top position in that department ....

Last edited:

ger12

Should the top job in Dept of Health go to a Doctor? petunia
No, it you'd expect a qualification related to health care policy for that position.

former wesleyan

Maybe this person is like the elderly Pakistani businessman who was interviewed for the BBC World Service who when asked how was he so successful when he didn't speak a word of English replied : " I employ someone to speak it for me ".

ger12

Arts, Heritage, Regional and Rural Affairs. Also part of the portfolio.
Yeh, you don't think there's Irish in the Arts? Or Heritage? It's a huge part of this department, it flows through it, not just in the Gaeltacht Affairs end.

ger12

its not like all health ministers had a medical degree or all education ministers were academics? she has a vag, don't rock the boat :mad:
Ya see, I hope that's not the case. I really really do.

I fully support the initiative to increase the number of women in the top jobs in the civil service. But that would not be playing fair if this is behind this.

Mushroom

Maybe I'll look into applying for the same position in Finance, sure why would ya need knowledge of sums and stuff to carry out the top position in that department ....
Probably best that you stick to giving the enemas, ger. They appear to give you an unlimited quantity of top-notch material to post here in the evenings.

ger12

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies