Strangest Irish election candidates?

Bertie's Hat

Someone called Abbey of the Holy Cross Fitzsimons once ran, although I can find very little information about him/her online. Name must have been changed to move up the ballot paper, or was he/she exceptionally religious?

William DJ Gorman springs to mind, he ran in a number of constituencies last time out, his election material was utterly bonkers. He even had Star Wars style billboards up in Limerick and didn't even run there in the end.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Mushroom

automaticforthepeople

Cllr Bernie Murphy late of Cork Corporation. Bernie was put up by the legal eagles in Cork so as to thumb the noses at Bernard Allen who was querrying their expenses. He was elected in 1985, drank Muprhy's Stout and visited San Francisco where the Mayor got him a new set of teeth.

Abbey of the Holy Cross won about 1,000 votes in 1981 with the slogan, "Vote Abbey and see what happens"!

Mushroom

Last edited:

automaticforthepeople

Great story about Jimmy Montgommery CPI candidate in Dublin West in one of the early 80's elections. Jimmy normally got about 200 votes when he stood. On the morning of polling one of his canvas team got up late, the worse for wear after a night of drink.

He made his way to the gates of the polling station with a handful of flyers to give to voters as they arrived to vote. However the voters weren't as receptive, partly because of the smell of drink, partly because of the red leaflet.

It was a cold winter day and as lunchtime approached he was getting hungry when all of a sudden a mercedes pulled up and a man shouted at him to get in quick as he was in a hurry. He was glad of a change of scenery as canvasing wasn't going too well. So he stuck his red leaflets deep down into the pocket of his duffle coat. The CPI man got in and made small talk to the driver.
The car took him from Ballyfermot across the Phoenix Park to a fine detached house in Castleknock which was covered in Fianna Fail posters with Charlie Haughey's face plastered all over them.
The house was packed with teams of FF party workers coming and going. The kitchen table was buckling under the weight of the plates, cutlery , not to mention the food.

He was gestured to get in quick and work away, which he did. After 10 minutes of tucking into the finest of food the CPI man was approached by a woman in her mid late 50's who owned the house.
"So, she says to him "I haven't met you at any cumman meetings, tell me how you know Eileen (Lemass)?
"Eileen?" came the response, "I thought Jimmy Montgommery had sent youse round for me!"

Our hero made his excuses and left!

Round tower

Great story about Jimmy Montgommery CPI candidate in Dublin West in one of the early 80's elections. Jimmy normally got about 200 votes when he stood. On the morning of polling one of his canvas team got up late, the worse for wear after a night of drink.

He made his way to the gates of the polling station with a handful of flyers to give to voters as they arrived to vote. However the voters weren't as receptive, partly because of the smell of drink, partly because of the red leaflet.

It was a cold winter day and as lunchtime approached he was getting hungry when all of a sudden a mercedes pulled up and a man shouted at him to get in quick as he was in a hurry. He was glad of a change of scenery as canvasing wasn't going too well. So he stuck his red leaflets deep down into the pocket of his duffle coat. The CPI man got in and made small talk to the driver.
The car took him from Ballyfermot across the Phoenix Park to a fine detached house in Castleknock which was covered in Fianna Fail posters with Charlie Haughey's face plastered all over them.
The house was packed with teams of FF party workers coming and going. The kitchen table was buckling under the weight of the plates, cutlery , not to mention the food.

He was gestured to get in quick and work away, which he did. After 10 minutes of tucking into the finest of food the CPI man was approached by a woman in her mid late 50's who owned the house.
"So, she says to him "I haven't met you at any cumman meetings, tell me how you know Eileen (Lemass)?
"Eileen?" came the response, "I thought Jimmy Montgommery had sent youse round for me!"

Our hero made his excuses and left!
During the last locals in a rural area, a fella who was repersenting FG in PB, te local FF candidate sent i food for those in the station but when the FG fella heard they were FF sandwiches he would not take any.

cllr

William Abbey of the Holy Cross Fitzsimmons ran in several elections in Dublin South East. I always had to make contact with him to avail of his tickets for count. It helped us do a better tally.

gerhard dengler

Around 2003/4, a work colleague invited me and my wife to his wedding. He was getting married to a girl from Ardpatrick in Co.Limerick. So the wedding had to take place in the girl's locality.

The local elections were being held nationwide at the time. One candidate running for election down there had some really odd election posters. His posters read

"I am (insert name), and I am your independent candidate with an independent view"
Everything fine so.
But the poster went on - "I am for 4,7,9, 3, 5" and "I oppose 6,2,1,10,11" all written in miniscule writing petunia

I asked one of the locals what was this all about. And he said with a straight face "ah, that's (insert name), he's a grand fella". But when I queried what "I am for 4,7,9, 3, 5" and "I oppose 6,2,1,10,11" meant, his reply was that the candidate had delivered a code
to houses in the constituency to decode what he supported and what he opposed petunia

I thought that this was a p1sstake but apparently this same candidate used try to seek election regularly.

General Urko

The man known as Sean Dublin Bay Rockall Loftus was a councillor for 25 years and spent a short period as a TD in the early 1990's.
Didn't he come close to winning 2 seats in the same general election in different constituencies of course? I remember Brian Farrell and the panel discussing the consequences if he did - he would have to resign 1 leading to a by-election!

I don't know if it ever happened, perhaps there may have been some SF members in 1918 GE who won 2 seats?

Bertie's Hat

MsDaisyC

We need Screaming Lord Sutch and Lord Buckethead types to run, otherwise our cranks are angry, yet boring nutjobs like Kate Not Bopp Anymore and John D Walsh.

Bertie's Hat

William Abbey of the Holy Cross Fitzsimmons ran in several elections in Dublin South East. I always had to make contact with him to avail of his tickets for count. It helped us do a better tally.
I can't find any info about him online. Is he still with us? What were his policies?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

General Urko

There have been a few strange ones -

And Dickie Burke -

General Urko

General Urko

Another Burke -

General Urko

Dr. Biffo Cowen -

General Urko

PBP voter

Eric O'Gowan.