• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Strawberries,Potatoes and Donkeys

jdwex

What is the legal position regarding those people who sell strawberries and potatoes at the side of the road? I was driving down to Rosslare to do some fishing when this donkey suddenly pulled out in front of me from beside a roadside vendor. Then another mile or so down the road some guy sprinted across the N25 from another strawberry vendor to his car, which was (badly parked) in the opposite hard shoulder. Do these people have a legal right to trade there? I gather that soft fruits have an exemption under the casual trading act, but surely they should not be trading on National Roads.

jd

Bogwarrior

Can't believe someone was concerned about this in the wee hours of Sunday morn. Slow news day?
I personally like these wee quirky things in life, and find it comforting in the days of the quick buck, some people are still taking life in the slow lane, selling spuds or whatever on the roadside. Simplify your life, J.D.

eurocrat

I believe there is a special by-law in Co Wexford that allows for casual trading on the roadside. In other counties a trading permit must be sought.

jdwex

Bogwarrior said:
Can't believe someone was concerned about this in the wee hours of Sunday morn. Slow news day?
I personally like these wee quirky things in life, and find it comforting in the days of the quick buck, some people are still taking life in the slow lane, selling spuds or whatever on the roadside. Simplify your life, J.D.
The problem was someone pulled out in front of me suddenly and I had to stand on the brakes. Its a national road, not a market :)
jd

jonna

drjimryan said:
I think theres also a "child Labour" element to this......
I believe you may be correct,considering the apparant youth of some of the venders that I have come across on our National roads.....It is not inconceivable that many of our elected representatives have come across these same "youths" while traversing the highways and byways of their constituencies....????

jonna

blinding

What is the legal position regarding those people who sell strawberries and potatoes at the side of the road? I was driving down to Rosslare to do some fishing when this donkey suddenly pulled out in front of me from beside a roadside vendor. Then another mile or so down the road some guy sprinted across the N25 from another strawberry vendor to his car, which was (badly parked) in the opposite hard shoulder. Do these people have a legal right to trade there? I gather that soft fruits have an exemption under the casual trading act, but surely they should not be trading on National Roads.

jd
Its very doubtful that the donkey has a license so that might be one avenue of complaint !

Mitsui2

nonsensical thread
Might explain why the OP had only 10 responses in just less than 8 years.

(Though how that would explain even more nonsensical threads that clock up hundreds of pages in just a few days remains a mystery).

P Ryan

Anyone know if the guy who sells on the corner opposite the church in Crumlin village is legal??? :)

If he's not, it's a strange place to sell considering the proximity of the garda station :D