Streamlining of asylum laws

Dr Pat

The ignorance on this thread is truly shocking and I see the usual suspects are throwing waffle about corruption and gravy trains. Asylum applicants can get free legal aid. As someone who knows lots of solicitors I can tell you they run a mile from free legal aid. It is monotonous poorly paid work that the legal profession looks down on. Some work for seekers pro-bono. As for the DP, the centres are ghastly. A life of drudgery with no money and no prospect of getting a job or no money for education. Ok it is better than being killed or tortured but that's a pretty low bar. All applicants should be granted an amnesty who have been in the system for longer than two years and the new system needs to have people seen to be sent back from whence they came to show the systems is working.
The poor legal profession. They only represent asylum applicants out of the goodness of their hearts, bless them. Grand so, another promoting amnesty for those who have played the system. Send them back to where they came from, I say. They opted to remain here - tough luck if they don't have separate cooking facilities.

Clanrickard

Oh don't give me that ould nonsense. We should not feel obligated to give shelter to all in sundry who believe their lives should be improved - that's pure utter bulology.
That is not what I said. True asylum seekers should be given shelter and not put in DP. Economic emigrants should be sent back.

The poor legal profession. They only represent asylum applicants out of the goodness of their hearts, bless them. Grand so, another promoting amnesty for those who have played the system. Send them back to where they came from, I say. They opted to remain here - tough luck if they don't have separate cooking facilities.
I am just pointing out that contrary to myth the asylum process is a million miles away from a gravy train.

elliebee

The ignorance on this thread is truly shocking and I see the usual suspects are throwing waffle about corruption and gravy trains. Asylum applicants can get free legal aid. As someone who knows lots of solicitors I can tell you they run a mile from free legal aid. It is monotonous poorly paid work that the legal profession looks down on. Some work for seekers pro-bono. As for the DP, the centres are ghastly. A life of drudgery with no money and no prospect of getting a job or no money for education. Ok it is better than being killed or tortured but that's a pretty low bar. All applicants should be granted an amnesty who have been in the system for longer than two years and the new system needs to have people seen to be sent back from whence they came to show the systems is working.
So you're quite happy for the total destruction and overloading of our Social Welfare system because your sympathies lie with citizens from the ME. Pity about you.

If there are genuine asylum seekers in DP who come in equipped with all the necessary papers then fine but I feel no moral obligation towards those appearing with one hand as long as the other with nothing but their mobile phones in their back pockets.

elliebee

That is not what I said. True asylum seekers should be given shelter and not put in DP. Economic emigrants should be sent back.
The problem of course being that there are no economic migrants in DP - they all present as asylum seekers.

Are you honestly suggesting they request economic protection! No, not on your Nelly.

former wesleyan

So you're quite happy for the total destruction and overloading of our Social Welfare system because your sympathies lie with citizens from the ME. Pity about you.

If there are genuine asylum seekers in DP who come in equipped with all the necessary papers then fine but I feel no moral obligation towards those appearing with one hand as long as the other with nothing but their mobile phones in their back pockets.
How does one do that ? Asking for a friend.

talkingshop

The International Protection Act 2015 has come into effect which streamlines our procedures for processing asylum applications. Whether one is pro or anti asylum seekers, the move is to be welcomed. The new laws which came into effect December 31st 2016 provide for a new single procedure system, asylum-seekers will make one application, which they may appeal once. If refused, applicants can appeal to the newly established International Protection Appeal Tribunal (Ipat), which replaces the RAT (Refugee Appeals Tribunal). This replaces the previous convoluted system whereby asylum-seekers made an application for refugee status to the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner (Orac). They could then appeal a refusal to the Refugee Appeals Tribunal (RAT). If refused there, they were then assessed for eligibility for subsidiary protection status by Orac with the possibility of an appeal to the RAT. If refused by Orac and the RAT, an applicant could then make representations to the Minister for Justice to be allowed to stay in the State on other grounds. There still remains a backlog of cases with 4,740 asylum-seekers waiting for a decision at the end of 2015 compared with 3,701 at the end of 2014. This of course does not deal with illegals, which remains an ongoing difficulty for the EU (Brexit for example) as a whole with little prospect of agreement re refugees coming from Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Thoughts?

New asylum application process comes into effect
This is good, long overdue.

paulp

Oh don't give me that ould nonsense. We should not feel obligated to give shelter to all in sundry who believe their lives should be improved - that's pure utter bulology.
Have you ever visited a DP centre?

D

Deleted member 42179

disband the current asylum quango and hostel system. It's another paddy scam out of control.

close the borders (**** the EU!)
Instigate a points based system for legal migrants based on the skillsets we need that are in shortest supply

Work out a yearly quota of non EU asylum seekers we can reasonably absorb based on current population, public resources available for that population (education places, hospital beds, welfare budget, housing).

Send out teams to FETCH that quota from places where there is great hardship and suffering. No economic migrant chancers flying in across multiple countries need apply. Just people genuinely in need which we select ourselves on that basis

Streamline the procedure for citizenship for those people completely. No quangoes, legal fees, hotels, bullsh*t. We know these folk need help because we fetched them from a hellhole. Just give it to them straight off without the bureaucratic horsesh*t

Impose strong conditions to this citizenship whereby any violent crime or three strikes of robbery or strong evidence of radical religious activism leads to expulsion back to original country with no hope of return.

Impose a condition that they must learn the language in a reasonable time

spread these people out across the country and have a rational program of integration which includes free accelerated language learning courses online.

No ghettoes!

McTell

Twitter
No
The reform sounds good.

But also needs choices and hard decisions -

If refused, the asylum seeker will be sent home at once.

If granted, the asylum seeker will be properly introduced into his new community. Not just given a key and left to it.

Dodgy papers / no passport; the asylum seeker will be sent home at once. ID his/her likely origin by bio markers.

McTell

Twitter
No
...and another thing:

Refugees being badly treated at home? - cut off all state aid to that country. No ifs and buts.

Felixness

I had hoped the new changes would bring an end to bogus asylum claimants being allowed to bleed the system but I don't think it will. They've just changed the name of the appeals and instead of staying in a Detention Centre they'll be given leave to remain when their 2 appeals fail. So then they'll be able to get financial aid to live in the community. It's just diverting the gravy train to a different sector.

Dr Pat

disband the current asylum quango and hostel system. It's another paddy scam out of control.

close the borders (**** the EU!)
Instigate a points based system for legal migrants based on the skillsets we need that are in shortest supply

Work out a yearly quota of non EU asylum seekers we can reasonably absorb based on current population, public resources available for that population (education places, hospital beds, welfare budget, housing).

Send out teams to FETCH that quota from places where there is great hardship and suffering. No economic migrant chancers flying in across multiple countries need apply. Just people genuinely in need which we select ourselves on that basis

Streamline the procedure for citizenship for those people completely. No quangoes, legal fees, hotels, bullsh*t. We know these folk need help because we fetched them from a hellhole. Just give it to them straight off without the bureaucratic horsesh*t

Impose strong conditions to this citizenship whereby any violent crime or three strikes of robbery or strong evidence of radical religious activism leads to expulsion back to original country with no hope of return.

Impose a condition that they must learn the language in a reasonable time

spread these people out across the country and have a rational program of integration which includes free accelerated language learning courses online.

No ghettoes!
A lot of sense in that. However I would favour withdrawing from any obligations in respect of refugees. This would free us up to better control and manage asylum and migrant flows.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Until we return chancers after the appeal, the only winners here are the legal profession and quangos and those running DP centres.

Plus you then have the spectre of kids born during the stay in the 'host' country.

Immediate expulsion for violent criminality has to be a given. Regardless of the validity of the claim i the first instance.
The EU lets 95% of those ineligible to stay to stay. And the pro-open-borders quangos like it that way. It is defacto policy in Europe to operate open borders. The fact that this has come about despite almost no one wanting it to is why Europe is tottering and on the brink.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Why arnt these people being deported as soon as their applications are rejected rather than wasting money and resources to house them in the centres.
Ask RTE, the Irish Times and the Qangos. It's because they don't really believe in immigration restrictions. Not really.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

I am just pointing out that contrary to myth the asylum process is a million miles away from a gravy train.

There's no such thing as a "true asylum seeker" before the fact. There are refugees and illegal immigrants. A Bulgarian claiming asylum is as much an asylum seeker as is a Syrian Christian.

Last edited:

razorblade

The EU lets 95% of those ineligible to stay to stay. And the pro-open-borders quangos like it that way. It is defacto policy in Europe to operate open borders. The fact that this has come about despite almost no one wanting it to is why Europe is tottering and on the brink.
F uck the eu and the quangos all bogus asylum seekers need to be deported.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Everyone not proven to be a refugee should be held in DP, pending refugee status, where they should be treated with every kindness and consolation we can spare. Determining that shouldn't take longer than a few months. Allowing applicants access to benefits and full residency is positively stupid and counterproductive.

Mentalist Clientelist

There's no such thing as a "true asylum seeker". There are refugees and illegal immigrants. A Bulgarian claiming asylum is as much an asylum seeker as is a Syrian Christian.
Incorrect.

A refugee is someone who has successfully sought, and been granted, asylum. Until then, they are asylum seekers.

I don't know what point you're trying to make about the Bulgarians but I presume you know that EU nationals are precluded from claiming asylum in other EU countries hence the Roma cannot claim asylum as they are (predominantly) Romanian nationals.

New Threads

Most Replies